📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

Feb 4, Sat of Week 6 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• はたらく細胞 Black Vol.8 Ch.47+last Ch. (end series)

Honestly, I don’t always prefer happy ending. Bitter sweet is a little more tasty.

• うたわれるもの

A little sleepy, so I might not get many vocabularies today, although I might become a little more awake towards the end. 1 substory took some time.

Words of the day
  • ふらつき = lightheadedness; unsteady gait. Verb form is ふらつく.
  • 漂泊(ひょうはく) = drifting / wandering = 彷徨(さまよ)うこと
  • 着実(ちゃくじつ) = steady; solid; reliable; trustworthy
  • 新陳代謝(しんちんたいしゃ) = metabolism to convert substances / replacement; renewal
  • 腫瘍(しゅよう) = tumor
  • 失語症(しつごしょう) = dysphasia
  • 視野欠損(しやけっそん) = visual field defect. 視野(しや) = field of vision; range of view
  • 頭蓋骨(ずがいこつ) = skull; cranium
  • 硬膜(こうまく) = dura mater (below skull, covering brain). Other layers are 蜘蛛(くも)(まく) and 軟膜(なんまく).
22 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

February 4th
新書太閣記 progress: 06.81% // Volume I: 79.02% :fireworks:

Today’s reading was full of lots of short back and forth dialogue - the complete opposite of yesterday.

Words found under the kotatsu

猛者「もさ」ー Fearless fighter; tough guy; wild guy
無遠慮「ぶえんりょ」ー Rude; presumptuous; outspoken
遠路「えんろ」ー Great distance
格天井「ごうてんじょう」ー Coffered ceiling

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Volume I: 1535 - 15??
(Currently 1554/5)
日吉「ひよし」- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: 猿「さる」/ 針売り「はりうり」

Family
木下弥右衛門「きのした やえもん」- Father
– – 乙若「おとわか」- Old friend (serves under 織田)
筑阿弥「ちくあみ」ー Step-father
大政所「おおまんどころ」// also お奈加「おなか」ー Mother
おつみ - Older sister
小竹「こちく」- Baby brother
加藤清正「かとう きよまさ」// also 弾正「だんじょう」- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
– Married to: おえつ (sister of お奈加)

Friends & Acquaintances
仁王「におう」- Big kid friend
於福「おふく」(Nickname - full name: 福太郎「ふくたろ」) // 楊景福「ようけいふく」(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
– 五郎大夫 「ごろ だゆう」// 祥瑞「しょうずい」(Chinese name) - Father
– 梨琴「りきん」- Mother
捨次郎「すてじろう」- Previous servant to 五郎, later the adoptive father of 於福, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
蜂須賀小六「はちすか ころく」(also 正勝 「まさかつ」) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
– 七内「なない」- Younger brother
– Married to 松波「まつなみ」
– – 亀一「かめいち」- Son

Retainers:
稲田大炊助「いなだ おおいのすけ]
青山新七「あおやま しんしち」
長井半之丞「ながい はんのじょう」
松原内匠「まつばら たくみ」

Others:
国吉「くによし」- Gunsmith/blacksmith
渡辺天蔵「わたなべ てんぞう」- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
難波内記「なんば ないき」- Spy disguised as a Komuso
仁田彦十「にった ひこじゅう」- Subordinate

(蜂須賀正利「はちすか まさとし」- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)

Saito Clan
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
斎藤 道三「さいとう どうさん」- Head of the Saito clan
– 斎藤義龍「さいとう よしたつ」(also: 高政「たかまさ」) - Son

明智 光秀「あけち みつひで」(common name: 十兵衛「じゅうべい」) - serves under Dosan
– 又市「またいち」- Underling / foot soldier

堀田 道空「ほった どうくう」- Chief retainer
弥平治光春「やへいじ みつはら」- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
– 明智光安「あけち みつやす」- Father
春日丹後「かすが たんご」- Military commander

Oda Clan
織田信秀「おだ のぶひで」- Daimyo
– 織田与三郎「おだ よさぶろう」- Younger brother
– 織田 信長「おだ のぶなが」- Son (Successor to the Oda clan)
(Married to the daughter of Saito Dosan)

Retainers (Under Nobuhide rule):
平手 政秀「ひらて まさひで」
林 秀貞「はやし ひでさだ」(common name: 新五郎「しんごろ」)
青山 信昌「あおやま のぶまさ」(common name: 与三右衛門「よそうえもん」)
内藤 勝介「ないとう しょうすけ / かつすけ」

Others:
市川大介「いちかわ だいすけ」- Archery master/instructor
平田三位「ひらた さんみ」- Master of military strategy

Shiba Clan
斯波義統「しば よしむね」- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle

Imagawa Clan
今川義元「いまがわ よしもと」- Daimyo

Retainers:
松下之綱「まつした ゆきつな」(common name: 加兵衛「かへい」)
飯尾豊前「いのお ぶぜん」
多賀能八郎「たがのう はしろう」(nickname: 能八「のうはち」)

Takeda Clan
太郎義信「たけだ よしのぶ」- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)

Non-affiliated
上泉 信綱「かみいずみ のぶつな」(also: 上泉 伊勢守「かみいずみ いせのかみ」) - Founder of the 新陰流「しんかげりゅう」school of Kenjutsu
– 疋田小伯「ひきた しょうはく」- Disciple
– 神後五六郎「かんご ごろくろう」- Disciple

塚原 卜伝「つかはら ぼくでん」- Kensei; legendary swordsman

Historical People
  • 阿倍仲麻呂「あべ の なかまろ」ー Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• 白楽天「はく きょい」ー Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: 白楽天「はく らくてん」in Japan. (Late 700s)

• 道元「どうげん」(or 道元禅師「どうげん ぜんじ」ー Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as 栄西禅師「えいさい ぜんじ」) (Early / mid 1200s)

• 空海「くうかい」ー The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: 弘法大師「こうぼう だいし」born as: 佐伯 眞魚「さえき の まお」(late 700s / early 800s)

• 源頼政「みなもと の よりまさ」ー Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

• 平 重盛「たいら の しげもり」ー Military commander and court noble, claimed to be an ancestor of Oda Nobunaga (Mid-1100s)

• 桓武(天皇)「かんむ(てんのう)」ー 50th Emperor of Japan, claimed to be an ancestor of Taira no Shigemori, thus ancestor to Oda Nobunaga (Mid-Late 700s)

20 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 34: February 3rd :evergreen_tree:

spacer:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス Volume 5 (0% ➨ 12%)

spacer:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: からかい上手の高木さん Volume 10 (53% ➨ 64%)

22 Likes

:house:

かがみの孤城 69% → 82%

So I haven’t posted here for ages… but I’ve continued reading かがみの孤城, even if not every day! Tonight I procrastinated until 2am to start reading, then couldn’t stop, lol. Definitely a page-turner. I’m hoping to finish the book tomorrow.

25 Likes

Day 33
I just read some Tsugumomo vol.3 but only a few pages.

2571 pages read 17429 to go

21 Likes

February 3rd & 4th (Days 34 & 35) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

I was travelling yesterday and could only cram in a teeny bit of reading (perhaps a page or so of 1Q84).

Today I’ve completed chapter 3 of 1Q84, and oh boi… The plot thickens :eyes: I may continue reading later before I go to sleep. Also been considering joining the advanced book club for
この本を盗む者 - though not quite sure yet.

25 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 4 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

・薬屋のひとりごと3 (6% → 7%)

So not just table (卓子(テーブル)) but page too (ページ). I’m sure there are more. (I remember seanblue didn’t like these, but I found them interesting.) Seems like 頁 is more common in the sense that it loses the furigana after the first time it shows up in a while. But table never drops the furigana from what I can see. In this book at least.

@Naphthalene

Maomao ft Honzuki (Spoiler alert: Honzuki novels, beginning of arc 3?)

印刷(いんさつ) ?! I thought I could escape while taking a break from Honzuki :rofl:

25 Likes

Home

I have been very, very tired lately. I don’t even remember the last time I updated, but the tradeoff seems to be that I actually remembered to mark off the calendar and add the books I finished in my home post whenever I was on the computer, instead of forgetting for long periods of time despite starting every post by copy-pasting the link to my home post?

Anyway, I did still manage to read a little bit in Japanese (and do at least a few reviews on WK) every day, including making progress on (or even keeping up with) book club books.

Although the past four days (since the 1st) I’ve been reading a lot more again since I bought My Time at Portia (JP: きみのまち ポルティア) for the Switch and have been playing that in Japanese. It’s not originally in Japanese (it’s made by a Chinese studio), and there are a few places where I’m not sure if I just don’t know enough yet or if it is actually a little off; the kanji are a little hard to read sometimes, especially with non-white or -black text, since the text is a little small; and it’s an exercise in recognizing Chinese variants, which, some of them are easy enough, but some take me a bit. I love the game though and have found myself playing it much of the day and into the early hours of the morning even when I have work later that morning, and while there are absolutely words I gotta look up, I sometimes forget that it is in Japanese? And it’s not just because the voice language is only English. Though, of course, there is also a lot where you don’t have to actually read it, just recognize it, like with item and material names…

この本を盗む者は also got here a few days ago, and I wasn’t expecting it to be an actual, proper hardcover? The few I have that I thought were considered hardcovers are really just paperback, but a different type where the cover’s a little thicker and sturdier than the usual kind. But maybe those aren’t considered hardcover and it’s just Amazon being dumb. tbh I stopped paying attention to whether Amazon JP says a book is hardcover or paperback a long time ago.

That club started today, but I haven’t started it yet. Or any other book club reading lol I got home and just wanted to play MTaP, which I will continue doing after posting this and will hopefully put down well before 1:30 a.m. because I’ve got work again tomorrow. (I don’t see that happening though, it is very easy to lose track of time playing this.)

ページ is also the actual reading of 頁, while テーブル is a special reading of 卓子 which is usually only read たくし, hence the difference in furigana application.

The only other kun reading for 頁 is おおがい, but that’s only as the radical name. Well, かしら is also listed, but I don’t think it’s ever actually used, and that’s “head” anyway.

24 Likes

I’d like to point out that that’s an actual reading of that word, it’s not a weird furigana thing. I know it’s hard to believe, but it is a thing.

From my dictionary:

About the spoiler: at least she isn’t obsessing over it. Just poison and medicine :skull_and_crossbones:

15 Likes

February 4th!

Today I read a chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san, it was an especially cute story this week.
Then I also read a chapter of Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun. I only have one more chapter left before I finish the volume, so I’m looking forward to reading it again tomorrow :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

22 Likes

:chocolate_bar: :love_letter: 2月4日 :love_letter: :chocolate_bar: (Home Post Link)

ooooooh man i’m tired today :sleeping:

Now that ホリミヤ is done I found myself kinda floundering a bit. I opened up 夜カフェ in my browser again just to remind myself that it’s there, but I don’t have a clear agenda for what/how much to read and of what. I need to figure out a new balance and I didn’t have the energy to really do that today :sweat_smile:

Read:

• 夜カフェ ch 3 (pg 35 → 43) - i’m further along in this than I remembered being, which was a nice surprise. Another nice surprise was that it felt easier to read now than it did even a week ago. idk if i’ll be in time to finish it before the book clubs start, but i’ll definitely be able to do it before the end of the month.
  • 新完全マスター pg 8-9 - I now understand the questions i’m being asked and what I need to do, even if I lack the particular knowledge to answer them, so that’s a big step up from the last time I tried working on this :sweat_smile:
  • 三ツ星カラーズ ch 1 - decided to do this instead of しろくまカフェ just bc the chapters are a little more standard manga chapters, so easier to keep track of

Word of the Day
寝ぼけ眼「ねぼけまなこ」ー sleepy eyes, drowsy look

23 Likes

:performing_arts: Home :it:

February 4th

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険8
163 - 201 (end)

This bit killed me because I absolutely wanted to finish the volume but I started reading at around 3am and really just wanted to sleep

20 Likes

It’s taught in WK, actually! IIRC a newer addition

16 Likes

Now they just need to add a few more necessary ones like 蚕 and 齎.

12 Likes

Summary post

I’m predictably late, but I wanted to make a check-in post after the halfway point!

I finished January with a perfect score!!

Jan
Week 52
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5

= Japanese
= Japanese and Spanish

I did manage to finish translating some stuff for 大日本プロレス リア王 (Big Japan Pro Wrestling’s 2008 deathmatch King Lear production)! Here’s a post with all of the info I managed to gleam about the show and some stuff I translated, as well as a bunch of screencaps from the DVD.

Here’s one screenshot:

That altar is actually made of light tubes, which I only realized part of the way through the main event (naturally, a wrestler crashed through it, haha). It was a really cool show! I was really glad that I was able to find it. I’m contemplating translating shupro’s recap of it and making a big blog post about it so that there’s more info out there about it.

Romeo vs Juliet is up next. Jun Kasai and “Black Angel” Jaki Numazawa decided to give us a preview for the main event of that show…

No idea when I’ll get around to actually watching Romeo vs Juliet, because I have a bunch of stuff I still want to translate for it, first, but hopefully it’ll happen by the end of next month?

I also did one Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling translation, for their January 29 show. I won’t post any photos from that haha because this post is already long enough!

Something kind of funny is that I am apparently trilingual enough to follow along pretty well with the Wrestle Universe chat during shows. I can read the comments from Japanese fans pretty easily (especially with the help of Yomichan), and people will often repeat some of the funniest lines from the wrestlers, which helps me get in on the joke if I missed something. I noticed that sometimes the Japanese fans will comment (in Japanese) on stuff the English speakers in the chat say.

During that show, there was a Spanish speaker who was a first time TJPW watcher asking some questions in the chat, so I got very distracted trying to answer them (in Spanish) haha. The person seemed to mainly have experience with CMLL (a Mexican wrestling promotion). I know enough wrestling-specific vocab in Spanish that I was able to answer pretty confidently.

With my Spanish reading, I ended up getting kind of hooked on Sí, sí es contigo, and I am currently 76% of the way through it, according to my kindle :sweat_smile:. It’s the first book I’ve read in Spanish that is easy enough to read for me and also compelling enough that I have a hard time putting it down when I get started… So I’m feeling pretty good about my progress there! I’ll definitely be having to start another book soon to get me through the rest of the challenge!

I also started reading 小説 ミラーさん -みんなの日本語初級シリーズ-, which is the first novel in the MNN textbook series. I’m just finishing up the beginner series right now, so I started reading the book because I wanted to see what it would be like to be able to basically just read a novel in Japanese without having to stop and do lookups haha.

And sure enough, yeah, I know all the grammar in the book and basically all of the vocab! There are a few words in it that aren’t in the textbook, and some other words that I don’t remember getting taught in the lessons, but which I did learn from WK, but by and large, the only time I’ve looked stuff up is just to double-check that I’m on the right track with a trickier sentence. It’s pretty cool! I’ll probably finish the book within the next few days.

22 Likes

Summary post

Day 35: February 4th
What did I read?: ペンギン・ハイウェイ :penguin:
How much did I read?: 7 pages
How long did it take me?: 35 minutes

Ok what is happening :joy: I hope I understood this part correctly, otherwise I will feel dumb, but the dentist office girl showed up at the bus station and like…a) randomly decided she was going to help yank Aoyama’s loose tooth out of his mouth after untying him from the vending machine (the class bully Suzuki tied him up there as revenge for the whole fake disease thing) and b) used a soda can to do it, but in the process the soda can turned into a penguin? I don’t understand :joy: She’s like completely unbothered about it, too lmao, is she the secret of the penguins :eyes:

Today I learned that 気をつけ can be a noun, meaning “standing at attention.”

22 Likes

Day 4 :black_cat:

Decided to just read multiple books simultaneously so I started the first chapter of 世界から猫が消えたなら. I read the first few pages some years ago but I’ve forgotten so much vocab since then.

vocab

くだらない - trivial
妄想(もうそう)
出来(しゅったい)

25 Likes

February 4 :snowflake: Home Post

Didn’t read as much as I could’ve today, just how it goes sometimes I suppose :man_shrugging: but I read some more 山猫 and it continues to be a great time! Lots of interesting mysteries floating around, new character things, all the fun stuff :grin:

22 Likes

It’s even on WK nowadays :eyes:
Got added with the most recent big overhaul last year? Two years ago? :thinking: Something like that.

13 Likes

Home post

2 月 5 日
からかい上手の高木さん Volume 1 Chapter 5 :smiling_imp:

Read through the full chapter 5 today titled 空き缶. Takagi-san is evil… :see_no_evil: I haven’t gone through the vocab and the thread for grammar points yet. So i might go through the chapter again and do that tomorrow.

23 Likes