My first ABBC was a science book so word by word translations were easy, I don’t know how well it works with manga. Doing direct translations was a good learning tool, though.
I just looked through the ABBC for the science book and some of the discussion threads and now I’m thinking about getting that textbook and reading it too! Thanks for the tip off. Seems like I’d learn a lot of useful words.
Feb 1, Wed of Week 6 of Winter Q1 2023
- はたらく細胞 Black Vol.7 Ch.38-41 (end volume)
War, and then now I know what will happen in the last volume
Words of the day
クワバラクワバラ = God help me!; warding off lightning strikes and misfortunes
- Of course it is 桑原 = mulberry field
失くす = to lose something.
- Similar to 無くす, but 失くす focuses more on losing one’s own property.
- Similarly read 亡くす would be about dying.
- 顧みる = to look back on the past; to reminisce. 省みる would also be contemplating and reflecting on themself.
- 忙しい = hectic; busy
- 慌ただしい = hectic; busy
- 朝っぱらから = from very early in the morning
- 艶やか = charming; attractive
- 今か今か = waiting eagerly
- 出し物 = a program; a performance
- 雲上 = over the clouds; nobility
- 碧眼 = blue eyes
- 出店 = street stalls = 屋台
- 凡俗 = the masses; common people
- 血しょう = blood plasma. Full Kanji is 血漿 and I have seen the second Kanji before.
- 吉報 = good news. Opposite is 凶報.
- 切除 = surgical removal; resection.
- 血痰 = bloody phlegm; blood-stained sputum. Larger volume would be 喀血 = hemoptysis.
- 扁平 = flat-like; squamous. 扁平上皮癌 is squamous cell carcinoma = squamous cell epithelial (上皮) cancer.
- 転移 = metastasis / transition
- 共存 = co-existence
- 機構 = mechanism; structure; organization
- 巧妙 = clever; ingenious
- 長老 = the elder; great old man
- 一息 = a breather / in one go. The second meaning would be similar to 一気.
招集 = summons; gathering people to a place
- 召集 would be about military service or parliament.
- 戦慄 = shuddering with fear
- 凄惨 = appalling; grotesque. Level 41 Kanji, and there is already 凄絶.
- メリハリの利いた = unambiguous; clearly. Base vocabulary is 減り張り = harmony / variety; modulation.
- blue gem; jasper
- 紺碧, 碧眼
- phlegm; sputum
- 喀痰, 痰唾, 血痰
- cough out (vomit out)
- 喀痰, 喀血
well, new month, here we go! more 蟲師 today, chapter 3 was a snowy one! the vibes in this one were great, this one might end up being my favourite for this volume. some of the specifics of the text again went over my head (especially that starting narration, hoo boy) but overall i found this one pretty easy to follow.
also got some new books (my reward to myself for passing the jlpt) so i’m debating reading one of those next week
i’m sorry for your loss i’ve been there and it’s a strange feeling
squints ooh is that a yorushika album?
edit: oh no why did it reply to nicole sorry!
The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den
新書太閣記 progress: 06.24% // Volume I: 72.32%
Had some extra free time today and ended up getting a bit engrossed in reading.
Words found under the kotatsu
碌すっぽ「ろくすっぽ」ー Not enough; unsatisfactorily
冠者「かんじゃ」ー Young person (archaic)
酷薄「こくはく」ー Cruel; inhumane; brutal
亡き「なき」ー (Prefix) the late; the deceased
Character Name List
Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened
Volume I: 1535 - 15??
日吉「ひよし」- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: 猿「さる」/ 針売り「はりうり」
木下弥右衛門「きのした やえもん」- Father
– – 乙若「おとわか」- Old friend (serves under 織田)
大政所「おおまんどころ」// also お奈加「おなか」ー Mother
おつみ - Older sister
小竹「こちく」- Baby brother
加藤清正「かとう きよまさ」// also 弾正「だんじょう」- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
– Married to: おえつ (sister of お奈加)
Friends & Acquaintances
仁王「におう」- Big kid friend
於福「おふく」(Nickname - full name: 福太郎「ふくたろ」) // 楊景福「ようけいふく」(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
– 五郎大夫 「ごろ だゆう」// 祥瑞「しょうずい」(Chinese name) - Father
– 梨琴「りきん」- Mother
捨次郎「すてじろう」- Previous servant to 五郎, later the adoptive father of 於福, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi
蜂須賀小六「はちすか ころく」(also 正勝 「まさかつ」) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
– 七内「なない」- Younger brother
– Married to 松波「まつなみ」
– – 亀一「かめいち」- Son
渡辺天蔵「わたなべ てんぞう」- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
難波内記「なんば ないき」- Spy disguised as a Komuso
仁田彦十「にった ひこじゅう」- Subordinate
(蜂須賀正利「はちすか まさとし」- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
斎藤 道三「さいとう どうさん」- Head of the Saito clan
– 斎藤義龍「さいとう よしたつ」(also: 高政「たかまさ」) - Son
明智 光秀「あけち みつひで」(common name: 十兵衛「じゅうべい」) - serves under Dosan
– 又市「またいち」- Underling / foot soldier
弥平治光春「やへいじ みつはら」- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
– 明智光安「あけち みつやす」- Father
織田信秀「おだ のぶひで」- Daimyo
– 織田与三郎「おだ よさぶろう」- Younger brother
– 織田 信長「おだ のぶなが」- Son (Successor to the Oda clan)
斯波義統「しば よしむね」- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle
今川義元「いまがわ よしもと」- Daimyo
松下之綱「まつした ゆきつな」(common name: 加兵衛「かへい」)
多賀能八郎「たがのう はしろう」(nickname: 能八「のうはち」)
太郎義信「たけだ よしのぶ」- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)
上泉 信綱「かみいずみ のぶつな」(also: 上泉 伊勢守「かみいずみ いせのかみ」) - Founder of the 新陰流「しんかげりゅう」school of Kenjutsu
– 疋田小伯「ひきた しょうはく」- Disciple
– 神後五六郎「かんご ごろくろう」- Disciple
塚原 卜伝「つかはら ぼくでん」- Kensei; legendary swordsman
阿倍仲麻呂「あべ の なかまろ」ー Japanese scholar & poet (700s)
白楽天「はく きょい」ー Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: 白楽天「はく らくてん」in Japan. (Late 700s)
道元「どうげん」(or 道元禅師「どうげん ぜんじ」ー Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as 栄西禅師「えいさい ぜんじ」) (Early / mid 1200s)
空海「くうかい」ー The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: 弘法大師「こうぼう だいし」born as: 佐伯 眞魚「さえき の まお」(late 700s / early 800s)
源頼政「みなもと の よりまさ」ー Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)
Day 32, 1st of February
Another day, another page. Let’s try to read a bit more carefully.
Last time, the two soldiers that were send to rescue the pricess weren’t named, but now we learn what they’re called: Romano and Maruki. No clue yet which is which. They seem to meet a new person on the road, but they’re not shown yet.
original post LINK
「世界から猫が消えたなら」 Reading log
- 2月1日 - The part that stuck with me the most so far in the book.
「死ぬときは悪あがきせず、落ち 着いて、安らかに。自分はそうありたいし、そうなると思っていた。だけどやはり死を前にして、藁にも (悪魔にも) すがりたい意地汚い人間の本性を自分の中に垣間見る。」
- 2月5日 - A long one, but liked this part a lot.
「恋には必ず終わりが来る。 必ず終わるものと分かっていて、それでも人 は恋をする。
- 2月6日 - Now I know some Spiderman quotes in Japanese.
- 2月7日 - And some Forest Gump quotes (honestly, there are a lot of famous movie quotes in this book).
- 2月7日 - A lot of good quotes that I would like to remember.
- 2月10日 - And qood quotes just continue to pile on
At least in January I managed to read every day. I was reading on my tablet Kindaichi Shounen and nearly done with the first volume when 妹 appeared and took my tablet because she needed it for something urgent lol. Once I got it back it was already to late to finish the volume.
January was neither a good nor bad month for reading. Of course I hoped I would read much more than that but some things got me busy. I will try to read more in February maybe even finish one of the visual novels, games or books I started.
2458 pages read 17542 to go
February 1st (Day 32)
I was planning to do a lot of reading today, but only managed to read chapter 2 of 1Q84. These chapters are so damn long and dense! Aside from being frustrated with my reading speed, I’m enjoying this book a lot so far :3
おばちゃんたちのいるところ , 86-93%
Just this week’s Wild Ladies today. Where did the time go?
January reading stats:
I’d take this total:1110 with a grain of salt, as it includes empty pages, copyright pages, table of contents pages, atogaki pages I probably haven’t read, and so on. I should probably try and make the page count more accurate, but I don’t feel it’s worth the effort.
２月１日 (Home Post Link)
Looking back at my goals for the challenge, I’ve definitely made a lot of progress towards both those and my goals for the year!
- “Finish every volume of manga I physically own in 2023” = 66 vols/52 weeks = ~1.25/wk. I read 7 volumes of manga in janurary = 1.75/wk, so well ahead of that pace!
- “Finish ホリミヤ during this challenge” only 2 volumes left, definitely making serious progress on that front
- “Finish either a childrens book or a light novel” already completed! I finished 2 volumes of magic treehouse, plus a VN that I’m counting towards the “pure text” part of the goal.
- Be prepared to take N2 by december - this one I have been making incremental progress towards: starting anki again, using the kanken game, and just noticing that the words/grammar I’m looking up tend to be a bit harder.
The only goal I failed was managing to keep time tracking up for a whole month With how interspersed my study time is between other things, and how many tangentially studying things I do I just couldn’t quite manage it.
So, looking forward to this month, I have a few main goals:
- Finish 夜カフェ vol 1
- Finish ホリミヤ and pick a new easy manga before the ABBC and BBC start (maybe finally do しろくまカフェ)
- Pass the ９級 full mock test in the kanken game
- Finish parts 1 and 2 of 新完全マスター N3 reading book
Basically, I want to dial back the difficulty of my reading just a tad so I can continue reading while adding in some studying proper on the side, which is also what I did in the last challenge: I read a huge amount in october, and then lowered my reading just a bit in november while adding in some Tae Kim readings, and that seemed to work really well for me then.
- ホリミヤ ch 110, 111, 112, maybe a bit more later but i’m so tired
Word of the Day
百面相「ひゃくめんそう」ー making different (comic) faces, esp. using small props
(but love this door, and it looks like a lot of the books on the shelves might be ex-library books, or are heavily damaged in some way, perfect for re-using as a clever decoration!)
Aww that’s hard sending love and well wishes
Good eye! Two of their albums, even! Related to the ex-library book thing, I’ve found that you can buy used CDs that are retired from internet/manga/cd cafes for super cheap! (also where I tend to get my physical manga) So whenever i’m putting together a buyee package i look to see if I can get a few albums to throw in, since they don’t raise the shipping cost too much. They usually keep their little inventory stickers and stamps on them, so you can even see where your books/music came from!
For example, my set of 三ツ星カラーズ came from aprecio comics & internet cafe
Home post // Feb 1
・ 封印再度 (92% → 93%)
Was considering not posting, but the daily read was done and thats all that matters
Today I read chapter 6 of God Bless the Mistaken.
It was fun Took me a little while to read, but mostly just because I was tired.
Today’s reading was 1 story from Japanese Short Stories for Beginners and 1 from Japanese Folk Tales for Language learners (this includes a free online audio). I really couldn’t follow the story when listening but I did get the gist after reading it for myself before actually rereading with the English translation. More enjoyable than the JSSB.
All together this took me about an hour and I may read another story from JFTLL later.
I finished わたしの幸せな結婚 on the last day of January through sheer force of will. I didn’t end up liking it any more than I did earlier in the book, so I was happy to finally be done after avoiding it for a few days.
I started reading 乳と卵 and it is such a refreshing change, even though the first page/paragraph was pretty much about how everything is 厭. I’m only ~9% in, but I definitely like this more. It is interesting how much satisfaction 緑子 seems to get from dissecting the components of words.
Late home post:
I’ll be reading クマのプーさん until this challenge ends and slowly working my way through 世界から猫ガ消えたなら at the same time.
- クマのプーさん: ch 2
- 世界から猫ガ消えたなら: ch 1 (月曜日）
Reading habit tracker:
66 - 71
I didn’t get to eat dinner until after 8pm so I just didn’t have a lot of time last night. Tonight’s only chores should be dishes and laundry though I think
Went ahead and read 3 sections of 夜は短し歩けよ乙女 during lunch. I am starting to get more comfortable with the ambiguity and I know what part of the movie I am reading which is cool! I really just wanted to get to that level where I could read and know what is happening but I am happy to see enough new words that I gotta guess via context and what I know of the movie (it’s been 4 years since I watched it so my memory is just cloudy enough there is a challenge).
Read 3 chapters of 推しの子 on the way to work, I might be able to read 3/4 more chapters today but like I said yesterday it is probably gonna take me until tomorrow to finish as there’s a LOT of dialogue (for real just make it a book).
I saw a book that looked super up my alley that I want to buy but 推しの子 is filling that itch so maybe once I finish or get caught up with that I will go and buy that book.
Just Aomi Japanese today.
I need to stop this only reading every other day nonsense already! It’s really mostly due to me not managing my time very well…
What did I read?: 魔女と猫の話
How much did I read?: 4 pages
(Started 3rd Story )
How long did it take me?: 54 min
A new story, a new cat! Although this time it’s actually a prequel story about Suzu’s grandmother Chise, and her cat Sei.
He has a very particular look to him… Is he maybe a Devon Rex or Cornish Rex, I wonder?
This is a Devon Rex.
And this is a Cornish Rex.
I’m slightly leaning towards him being a Devon…
Ooh, ヨルシカ albums! The 夏草が邪魔をする album has some really solid classics, and I really like “詩書きとコーヒー” and “五月は花緑青の窓辺から” from the だから僕は音楽を辞めた album~