๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 โ˜ƒโ„

:cup_with_straw: Home :it:

January 29th

ใ‚ธใƒงใ‚ธใƒงใฎๅฅ‡ๅฆ™ใชๅ†’้™บ8
44 - 53

Busy day yesterday. Some interesting panels in this section though. Idk if Iโ€™ll remember to post them later.

22 Likes

Summary post

Day 29: January 29th
What did I read?: ใƒšใƒณใ‚ฎใƒณใƒปใƒใ‚คใ‚ฆใ‚งใ‚ค
How much did I read?: 3 pages
How long did it take me?: 26 minutes

Well that didnโ€™t take long, the penguins are here :joy:
Hereโ€™s our protagonist, studying the penguins very intently

26 Likes

Unfortunately suicide is a super common theme in classic Japanese writing. I actually accidentally read Akutagawaโ€™s own, real, suicide note thinking it was just a short story titled โ€˜suicide noteโ€™ (้บๆ›ธ).

Iโ€™ve read a lot of classic literature by this point (itโ€™s free on the internet, so why not) and dark themes abound, although thereโ€™s also heart warming stuff and thoughtful things without darkness. I wonder if the editors were trying for a holistic view of Japanese literature when picking the stories? ie, a bit of everything? Or they just went by popularity / things that are required reading in ๅ›ฝ่ชž classes.

20 Likes

That sub chapter of Re:Zero 16 was just them EATING x______x for 11 pages. For which I spent 3 minutes on each page just begging for something, ANYTHING interesting to happen. It was just โ€œYou look cute in this Yukata!โ€ โ€œLetโ€™s eat!โ€

So we went from getting closer as a group. Barging in on a meeting, and eating. GAAAAAH!

flipping table noises

13 Likes

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: ๏ผ‘ๆœˆ๏ผ’๏ผ™ๆ—ฅ :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

I sorta ended up going down a rabbit hole reading about ไธ‡่‘‰ไปฎๅ and the ไธ‡่‘‰้›† more generally today. Very cool stuff, and adjacent to japanese reading, but I did not actually read any of it in japanese (even a modern jp translation). Eventually, thatโ€™s something that would be cool to try reading, but beyond me for the time being :sweat_smile:

Read:

• ใƒ›ใƒชใƒŸใƒค ch 101 - all the chapters recently and after this are short, but this one is normal length for some reason

Word of the Day:
ๅ”‡ใ€Œใใกใณใ‚‹ใ€ใƒผ lips (also related: ๅ”‡้Ÿณใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใŠใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ labial sound, and ๅ”‡ๆญฏ้Ÿณใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ—ใŠใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ labiodental sound)

I support this motion 100%

Hey everyone has to start somewhere! I bet you make it to fun stuff sooner than you think, you got this! :grin:

26 Likes

January 29 :snowflake: Home Post

Ended up even busier today unfortunately, so todayโ€™s โ€œreadingโ€ is gonna just be my Japanese homework :joy: itโ€™s all something!

22 Likes

Yas!!! I want to wait until after I take the JLPT N4 then reward myself with one. Maybe Cherry Magic. Letโ€™s do it.

12 Likes

Home post

1 ๆœˆ 30 ๆ—ฅ
ใ‚ณใƒŠใฎๅคงๅ†’้™บ ็ฌฌ34่ฉฑ :black_cat:

Kona considers what he could eat to survive in the wild. Poor guy. I totally feel for him with my โ€˜wildโ€™ being Japan. :sweat_smile:

Vocab
  • ใ‚ฆใƒญใ‚ฆใƒญ [ใ†ใ‚ใ†ใ‚] loiteringly, aimless wandering, restlessly
  • ๆ นๆฏ”ใน [ใ“ใ‚“ใใ‚‰ใน] endurance contest, test of endurance
  • ๆž [ใˆใ ] branch, twig
  • ่‹” [ใ“ใ‘] moss
  • ไธ€ๅฃ [ใฒใจใใก] mouthful, bite
  • ใ‚ซใƒชใ‚ซใƒช [ใ‹ใ‚Šใ‹ใ‚Š] crunchy
  • ใจใ†ใฆใ„ [ๅˆฐๅบ•] (cannot) possibly, no matter how, absolutely (usually with a negative ending verb)
  • ๆถ™ [ใชใฟใ ] tears, lachrymal secretion

On that note, today i also learned a new english word thanks to Satorireader which is lachrymal, โ€œof or relating to tearsโ€

25 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 29: January 29th :closed_umbrella:

spacer:older_woman:t2: ร—ร—ใงใ‚‚้ญ”ๆณ•ๅฐ‘ๅฅณใซใชใ‚Œใพใ™ใ‹? Volume 1 (44% โžจ 52%)
spacer:mag: ๅๆŽขๅตใ‚ณใƒŠใƒณ Volume 13 (81% โžจ 91%)
spacer:baby_chick: ใฒใ‚ˆๆ‹ Volume 1 (0% โžจ 17%)

With two new manga on my โ€œstart reading sometimeโ€ list, I randomly picked a different one and started reading it today. I was looking for something to generate frequency lists from and landed on a series called ใ€Œใฒใ‚ˆๆ‹ใ€, then decided Iโ€™d read that.

24 Likes

18 pages of manga today :muscle: :muscle: turns out all I need to read more than a couple of pages in a day is be absolutely desperate to know what happens next.

Now to catch up on my wanikani reviews.

27 Likes

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 27

Some ใƒฆใƒผใ‚ธใƒ‹ใ‚ข (82% โ†’ 86%).

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 28

Some ใƒฆใƒผใ‚ธใƒ‹ใ‚ข (86% โ†’ 89%) and played BU$TAFELLOWS for over 1.5h.

:open_book: :desktop_computer: :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 29

Finished ใƒฆใƒผใ‚ธใƒ‹ใ‚ข!! First book of the year finished. And played BU$TAFELLOWS for over an hour.

25 Likes

home post

30th jan weโ€™re almost in february, when did that happen???

weekend exhaustion shaken off, back to ่Ÿฒๅธซ! chapter 1 of vol 4 is an odd story but the art is as always lovely. not sure i liked the ending, but i see what it was going for. plus, we finally get an explanation of how ginko has been getting his letters!

words that stuck out: ๆ‹’็ตถๅๅฟœ (ใใ‚‡ใœใคใฏใ‚“ใฎใ†, (organ) transplant rejection, strong reaction against), ๅฏ†ๅฎค (ใฟใฃใ—ใค, locked room), ๆ‰‹็ซ‹ใฆ (ใฆใ ใฆ, method, means). also shoutout to ๆ•ฐๅคš for the reading only (ใ‚ใพใŸ๏ผ‰

25 Likes

Home Post

This week was a bit of an up and down, but in the end it turned out quite okay.
Finished Tuberose Age32 (welp, NOT my favourite book, sadly), continued a bit with 1Q84 (until Ch. 15) and started Flesh&Blood Vol. 11.

And! I reached the break-even with my yearly reading goal, i.e. if I read in each subsequent month as much as I have read in this month, then I will make it. (And in case you didnโ€™t notice, there are still two days left in this month! :muscle:)
In other words, 834 pages down, 9,166 pages to go!

Plans for this week:

31 Likes

29/1 2 pages ใŠใฐใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใŸใกใฎใ„ใ‚‹ใจใ“ใ‚

30/1 2.5 pages ใŠใฐใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใŸใกใฎใ„ใ‚‹ใจใ“ใ‚ (finished story 15)

Going slow still. Just finished last weekโ€™s reading. And itโ€™s Monday evening. And Iโ€™ve read nothing for the 5 book clubs this week :anguished:

26 Likes

Read the rest of ใใฎ็€ๆ›ฟใˆไบบๅฝขใฏๆ‹ใ‚’ใ™ใ‚‹ 10. Tomorrow Iโ€™ll finish Blue Period 1 and start cramming the rest of Re:Zero 16.

22 Likes

Jan 30, Mon of Week 6 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใฏใŸใ‚‰ใ็ดฐ่ƒž Black Vol.6 Ch.33-34

Stress and concert, first half.

Words of the day
  • ใใ—ใ‚Š = criticism; disparagement. A Kanji form is ่ฌ—(ใใ—)ใ‚Š.
  • ใ‹ใ‘ใŒใˆใฎใชใ„ = irreplaceable. A Kanji form is ๆŽ›(ใ‹)ใ‘ๆ›ฟ(ใŒ)ใˆใฎใชใ„.
  • ใƒ•ใƒŒใ‚ฑ = coward. Kanji form is ่…‘ๆŠœ(ใตใฌ)ใ‘, so itโ€™s the guts that broke.
  • ๆ€–ๆฐ—(ใŠใ˜ใ‘)ใฅใ = to become nervous; to have cold feet = ๆ€–(ใŠ)ใ˜ๆฐ—ไป˜(ใ‘ใฅ)ใ. Has Furigana in context.
  • ๆ‰“(ใ†)ใกๅ‹(ใ‹)ใค = to overcome difficulties
  • ๆŠ‘(ใ‚ˆใ)ใ†ใค = depression; dejection. Full Kanji is ๆŠ‘้ฌฑ(ใ‚ˆใใ†ใค).
  • ่Ž็ธฎ(ใ„ใ—ใ‚…ใ) = atrophy; shriveling. Has Furigana.
  • ๆ–ญ่ฃ‚(ใ ใ‚“ใ‚Œใค) = snapping apart
  • ๆธ›้€€(ใ’ใ‚“ใŸใ„) = declination. ๆ€งๆฌฒๆธ›้€€(ใ›ใ„ใ‚ˆใใ’ใ‚“ใŸใ„) in context.
  • ๆธพ่บซ(ใ“ใ‚“ใ—ใ‚“) = using all oneโ€™s body. First Kanji seems to mean whole (body).
  • ๅพฎๅผฑ(ใณใ˜ใ‚ƒใ) = feeble; weak. First Kanji in ๅพฎๅฆ™(ใณใฟใ‚‡ใ†) or ๅพฎๅกต(ใฟใ˜ใ‚“).
  • ๅ‰ฏ่…Ž(ใตใใ˜ใ‚“) = adrenal gland

From here Iโ€™ve found ่ชญๅ”‡่ก“(ใฉใใ—ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚…ใค) = lip-reading. Quite amazing how it sounds similar to ่ชญๅฟƒ่ก“(ใฉใใ—ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚…ใค) = mind-reading. Level 47, btw, but On reading not introduced.

27 Likes

Calendar

ๅคœๅธ‚ is at 66%, iirc.
Spirit Circle volume 1 done

I guess I failed the challenge big time. I fell into a deep hole and did nothing for a couple of days :smiling_face_with_tear:
But getting back to it now. Started volume 2 of Spirit Circle and continuing Yoichi.

Itโ€™s a nice book, one of my favorites. I also love the anime. Studio Colorido did a stellar job with it.

26 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

January 30th
ๆ–ฐๆ›ธๅคช้–ฃ่จ˜ progress: 05.43% // Volume I: 63.01% :fire:

Thereโ€™s been a few skirmishes so far, but today had the first large-scale battle happen.

Words found under the kotatsu

ๆ‹™่€…ใ€Œใ›ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ€ใƒผ I; me // (Humble & Archaic, mainly used by samurai)
่ซ„ใ€…ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚…ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Earnestly; repeatedly; patiently
้›‘ๅ…ตใ€Œใžใ†ใฒใ‚‡ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Common soldier
็ฉบ้ฆฌใ€Œใ‹ใ‚‰ใ†ใพใ€ใƒผ Unburdened horse
ๆ——ๆœฌใ€ŒใพใŸใ‚‚ใจใ€ใƒผ Direct retainer of a shogun
่‹—ไปฃใ€Œใชใ‚ใ—ใ‚ใ€ใƒผ Rice nursery; bed for rice seedlings
ๅฃ้”่€…ใ€Œใใกใ ใฃใ—ใ‚ƒใ€ใƒผ Talkative; eloquent; fluent
็Œฟๆฅฝใ€Œใ•ใ‚‹ใŒใใ€ใƒผ Form of theatre popular from the 11C - 14C Japan

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Volume I: 1535 - 15??
(Currently 1554/5)
ๆ—ฅๅ‰ใ€Œใฒใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: ็Œฟใ€Œใ•ใ‚‹ใ€/ ้‡ๅฃฒใ‚Šใ€Œใฏใ‚Šใ†ใ‚Šใ€

Family
ๆœจไธ‹ๅผฅๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใ‚„ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Father
โ€“ โ€“ ไน™่‹ฅใ€ŒใŠใจใ‚ใ‹ใ€- Old friend
็ญ‘้˜ฟๅผฅใ€Œใกใใ‚ใฟใ€ใƒผ Step-father
ๅคงๆ”ฟๆ‰€ใ€ŒใŠใŠใพใ‚“ใฉใ“ใ‚ใ€// also ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ ใ€ŒใŠใชใ‹ใ€ใƒผ Mother
ใŠใคใฟ - Older sister
ๅฐ็ซนใ€Œใ“ใกใใ€- Baby brother
ๅŠ ่—คๆธ…ๆญฃใ€Œใ‹ใจใ† ใใ‚ˆใพใ•ใ€// also ๅผพๆญฃใ€Œใ ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
โ€“ Married to: ใŠใˆใค (sister of ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ )

Friends & Acquaintances
ไป็Ž‹ใ€ŒใซใŠใ†ใ€- Big kid friend
ๆ–ผ็ฆใ€ŒใŠใตใใ€(Nickname - full name: ็ฆๅคช้ƒŽใ€ŒใตใใŸใ‚ใ€) // ๆฅŠๆ™ฏ็ฆใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใ‘ใ„ใตใใ€(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅคงๅคซ ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ ใ ใ‚†ใ†ใ€// ็ฅฅ็‘žใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใšใ„ใ€(Chinese name) - Father
โ€“ ๆขจ็ดใ€Œใ‚Šใใ‚“ใ€- Mother
ๆจๆฌก้ƒŽใ€Œใ™ใฆใ˜ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Previous servant to ไบ”้ƒŽ, later the adoptive father of ๆ–ผ็ฆ, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๅฐๅ…ญใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใ“ใ‚ใใ€(also ๆญฃๅ‹ ใ€Œใพใ•ใ‹ใคใ€) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
โ€“ ไธƒๅ†…ใ€Œใชใชใ„ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ Married to ๆพๆณขใ€Œใพใคใชใฟใ€
โ€“ โ€“ ไบ€ไธ€ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚ใ„ใกใ€- Son

Retainers:
โ€“ โ€“ ็จฒ็”ฐๅคง็‚ŠๅŠฉใ€Œใ„ใชใ  ใŠใŠใ„ใฎใ™ใ‘]
โ€“ โ€“ ้’ๅฑฑๆ–ฐไธƒใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใ—ใ‚“ใ—ใกใ€
โ€“ โ€“ ้•ทไบ•ๅŠไน‹ไธžใ€ŒใชใŒใ„ ใฏใ‚“ใฎใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€
โ€“ โ€“ ๆพๅŽŸๅ†…ๅŒ ใ€Œใพใคใฐใ‚‰ ใŸใใฟใ€

โ€“ ๅ›ฝๅ‰ใ€Œใใซใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Gunsmith/blacksmith
โ€“ ๆธก่พบๅคฉ่”ตใ€Œใ‚ใŸใชใน ใฆใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
โ€“ ้›ฃๆณขๅ†…่จ˜ใ€Œใชใ‚“ใฐ ใชใ„ใใ€- Spy disguised as a Komuso
โ€“ ไป็”ฐๅฝฆๅใ€ŒใซใฃใŸ ใฒใ“ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใ€- Subordinate

(่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๆญฃๅˆฉใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใพใ•ใจใ—ใ€- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)

Saito Clan
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Head of the Saito clan
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใŸใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Son

ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - serves under Dosan
โ€“ ๅˆๅธ‚ใ€ŒใพใŸใ„ใกใ€- Underling / foot soldier

ๅผฅๅนณๆฒปๅ…‰ๆ˜ฅใ€Œใ‚„ใธใ„ใ˜ ใฟใคใฏใ‚‰ใ€- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Father

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐไฟก็ง€ใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใงใ€- Daimyo
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไธŽไธ‰้ƒŽใ€ŒใŠใ  ใ‚ˆใ•ใถใ‚ใ†ใ€- Younger brother

Shiba Clan
ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ็ตฑใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚€ใญใ€- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle

Imagawa Clan
Retainers:
ๆพไธ‹ไน‹็ถฑใ€Œใพใคใ—ใŸ ใ‚†ใใคใชใ€(common name: ๅŠ ๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ‹ใธใ„ใ€)
้ฃฏๅฐพ่ฑŠๅ‰ใ€Œใ„ใฎใŠ ใถใœใ‚“ใ€
ๅคš่ณ€่ƒฝๅ…ซ้ƒŽใ€ŒใŸใŒใฎใ† ใฏใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€(nickname: ่ƒฝๅ…ซใ€Œใฎใ†ใฏใกใ€)

Others
ไปŠๅท็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Historical People
  • ้˜ฟๅ€ไปฒ้บปๅ‘‚ใ€Œใ‚ใน ใฎ ใชใ‹ใพใ‚ใ€ใƒผ Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใใ‚‡ใ„ใ€ใƒผ Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใ‚‰ใใฆใ‚“ใ€in Japan. (Late 700s)

• ้“ๅ…ƒใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ใ€(or ้“ๅ…ƒ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€ใƒผ Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as ๆ „่ฅฟ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใˆใ„ใ•ใ„ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€) (Early / mid 1200s)

• ็ฉบๆตทใ€Œใใ†ใ‹ใ„ใ€ใƒผ The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: ๅผ˜ๆณ•ๅคงๅธซใ€Œใ“ใ†ใผใ† ใ ใ„ใ—ใ€born as: ไฝไผฏ ็œž้ญšใ€Œใ•ใˆใ ใฎ ใพใŠใ€(late 700s / early 800s)

• ๆบ้ ผๆ”ฟใ€Œใฟใชใ‚‚ใจ ใฎ ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใพใ•ใ€ใƒผ Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

27 Likes

:snowflake: :snowman: Home Post :snowman: :snowflake:

โžณ January 30th.

What: ใƒ”ใƒผใƒใ‚ฌใƒผใƒซ๏ผ’
Pages: 10
Time: 10 minutes.

Snoozeโ€ฆ Mondayโ€ฆ Tiny read today, but it counts!

Oh, Iโ€™ve actually bought it on Steam! So I donโ€™t know how the Switch version plays. I find it really easy to check on Steam whether games can be played in Japanese or not. According to this site, it only supports English, French and Spanish, but I know people buy on the Japanese store without any issues. Unfortunately, I donโ€™t have any experience with doing that.

27 Likes

January 30th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 3 โ€“ progress report
Yesterday: Read up to page 143, finished chapter 24.
Today: Read up to page 158.

Ah, the return of mister โ€˜ore-samaโ€™ โ€“ what kind of trouble has Akatsuki gotten himself into this time? :sweat_smile:

โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“

Word or expression of the day:
ๅนฒๆบ€ - (ใ‹ใ‚“ใพใ‚“) - ebb and flow

Honourable mention(s):
่ฒทใ„ๅ ใ‚ใ‚‹ - (ใ‹ใ„ใ—ใ‚ใ‚‹) - to buy up

26 Likes