📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Summary post :bookmark:

January 4
・かがみの孤城. I read the third week (it was shorter than the previous weeks), and a tiny bit of week four. I might have added too many new words to my srs today :caught_durtling:

Progress: (15% → 21%)

So, from looking at the last few days that I’ve been reading this book, I can say it’s not that hard in terms of vocab or grammar or too crazy sentences or anything like that. What seems to slow me down is… losing focus and going off to do something else (:sweat_smile:). Hopefully, I can improve that somehow.

Yay! More people reading the kagami book :eyes: :sparkles:

I highly recommend using koohi to learn the words in the book, either by srsing them before you read or as you come across them. I do a mix of the two. The vocab list for the book can be found here.

If you’re not familiar with koohi, I would also recommend limiting the frequency to whatever suits you at your current level. In other words, if learning all the words is too much work, try learning the words that appear with high frequency first, for example at least 10 times in the book, and then 9 times, and so forth.

Just ask if you have any questions :durtle_the_explorer:

19 Likes

To add to @Natsuha 's answer - the って is pronounced a bit differently than just て. It’s also a grammar construct, see Maggie Sensei article here.

Also I don’t know this channel aside from bumping into it while browsing youtube, but it seems read-aloud manga is a thing. Any video starting with 漫画 will be one of those I believe. I can’t vouch for…literally anything about that channel so it may all be terrible stories, no idea. BUT! Listening to how native speakers would read it could be helpful internalizing patterns of speech. I do this with books sometimes by listening to audiobooks while reading the text.

8 Likes

I think the main reason the blank spaces are there, is because they want to divide the sentence in the most “natural” way, i.e. after a particle like those you mentioned. It’s not necessarily a pause or comma.

(Sometimes there’s not proper punctuation and a sentence can continue across bubbles, so it can get confusing at times too. It’s usually context dependent.)

10 Likes

Summary post

January 4 update:
Read chapter 6 of よつばと! 1. This one was especially heavy on slang/kana-only phrases, to the point that a couple of them I failed to dissect into intelligible chunks (I don’t really mind, though – the general idea seemed to be clear enough). One chapter left to go! After that I think I’ll take a short break from よつば and read something else for a change – probably 時をかける少女.

@Redglare, thanks for mentioning Koohi! Looks like it has vocab lists for quite a few books, and the idea of SRSing the most frequent words from specific books to ease reading them sounds very attractive.

17 Likes

Jan 4 update :snowflake: summary post

I haven’t done as much reading today (2 parts of Kona’s Big Adventure), but a little is still something, right? I got distracted by the sudden urge to start using Anki again for vocab I find when reading that’s not on WK. But of course then I was spending more time messing with Anki than actually reading! I’ll update this post if I end up reading any more

Edit: I ended up reading more 亜人, which I started back in December. It’s harder than anything else I’ve read but not so difficult I can’t get through it

17 Likes

Summary post

I ended up not starting reading today until pretty late, so only 呪術廻戦 for me today (I say this because I should really sleep soon as I am back at work tomorrow…but knowing me I will probably read some 鏡の孤城 in bed and stay up too late as I have no self control). Anyway, I finished up volume 7 and read the first few chapters from volume 8 (I think 5 chapters in total). Two of the chapters were fairly dense with a fair bit of monologuing/exposition, but then the chapters following that have been mainly light hijinks and fun so it has all balanced out lol.

Woohoo! nice :slight_smile: Hope you enjoy it, I’m very excited to keep reading! And @pocketcat - I downloaded the audiobook and it is indeed so good - almost more like an audiodrama or radio production with the sound effects etc. I’ve actually listened a little bit ahead of where I’ve read to so I need to catch up!(I read so much slower than the audiobook)

Nice! Good to know that it’s on koohi :slight_smile: I very easily fall victim to ‘death by too many SRS’ so I probably won’t go for it right now but I might change my mind if vocab seems like an issue so good to know that it’s there as an option. Seems fairly okay so far though but I expect that may well change once the plot gets going. It’s actually the first novel I’ve read on my kindle since I managed to get a bunch of monolingual (J-J) dictionaries on it so I’ve been quite enjoying trying to use those as much as possible for lookups. My understanding of monolingual definitions is still certainly more fuzzy than just looking it up in english but so far having the option of a few different definitions to check + the context means it is fairly okay, and the novelty of having all the dictionaries there at a click is fun (I mean, if you are a person like me who apparently thinks such things are fun lol).

19 Likes

Wow! I can’t imagine reading The Pillars of the Earth in Japanese. I read it in English and I don’t see myself re-reading it. I dropped the series after the second book came out.

5 Likes

Summary post

I finished volume 2 of 七世物語 last night, and since it ended at a nice point, I thought I’d take a break to read something else before going on to volume 3. What I grabbed was 伊豆の踊り子, by Kawabata, sort of just to see if it was even doable, and also because it’s only 70 pages and I haven’t yet read a romantic story in Japanese. I managed 5 pages before becoming exhausted. The grammar is fine but the level of new vocabulary and names is much higher than I’m used to. However, I don’t think reading other books will make this any easier, so I think I will try to push through.

17 Likes

Just an update after my previous success in parsing out the grammar of a sentence for the first time today :slight_smile:

Two more pages of よつばと! down! I’m now at page 16 and, although Yotsuba is nowhere to be found and Jumbo is out looking for her, her father is thinking about throwing some trash away and a new cute female has entered the scene on a bicycle! CLIFF HANGER! :open_mouth:

17 Likes

I read today. But I’m so sleepy, I can’t say anything else.

14 Likes

Home post

Day 3:

日本語: I read some of 伯爵と妖精 29.
Read-aloud: We read a chapter of ハイキュー.

中国語

中国語: I read a beginner entry on Mandarin Bean and one page of 擅长捉弄的高木同学.

14 Likes

I see, thank you. That helps a lot.
Thanks to @Natsuha and @pocketcat as well.

@pocketcat I’ll check those resources out too, they look pretty good.

6 Likes

Summary post

Day 4: January 4th

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑
Time spent: 28 min
Today’s color: (すみ) - a warmer black, the color of ink

Today I learned the phrase “墨に五彩あり,” meaning there are 5 “colors” of ink (although it seems like maybe the book got them mixed up a bit, because the book said 濃 was the darkest but the internet seems to say it’s 焦?). Anyway, this is what they look like:

After googling that, I accidentally started google image searching 墨絵 and ummm I wasted all my reading time, but look what I found :pleading_face:
Pretty mountains~

Cute animal 墨絵 from the internet

Images are linked to the artist pages when I could find them
Participants of the Fall Challenge might recognize this tiny friend
o0714108014904832898

Kittiesssss
20181012_99b7ea

Penguinnnnn :pleading_face: Why is it so small and soft :sob: This one is actually appears to be for sale, if you have 700,000 yen lying around and want a small fluffy penguin for your own

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be learning a language
  • 先史時代 (せんしじだい) - prehistoric era; prehistoric times; prehistory (what a delightfully logical word)
  • 洞窟 (どうくつ) - cavern; cave; cave system; grotto
  • 壁画 (へきが) - fresco; mural; wall painting
  • 原始的 (げんしてき) - primitive; original
  • 煤 (すす) - soot (this is like the cutest word to me)
  • 濃淡 (のうたん) - light and shade; shade (of color) (can actually also refer to depth/complexity of flavor)
  • ぼかす - to blur; to shade off; to gradate
  • あわせ持つ (あわせもつ) - to have two things (at the same time) (e.g. good and bad points); to also have something (in addition to something else)

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 11 min

Lucky it was a short one today :sweat_smile: Today I learned about 仕事始め (しごとはじめ), which refers to resuming work after the New Year’s vacation or the first time that one works in the year. Traditionally, it’s January 4th mine was yesterday though lol. Also learned the word 御用始め (ごようはじめ) - re-opening of offices in New Year (usu. January 4). I love that there are specific words for these things xD

What else did I read?
Nothing because I got distracted by 墨絵 :upside_down_face: Oops

Literally what is this story :joy: “not the guy, the arms drink it” I cannot
Thank you for the most amusing thing I’ve read today

19 Likes

January 4 :snowflake: Home Post

Whew, another day down! I’ve been keeping a decent pace with ラストゲーム; I read another chapter today, so that makes one more this volume plus whatever random stuff it ends off with. Still absolutely loving it; I learned from the little author’s notes today that when (mild spoilers ig?) 相馬(そうま) breaks character he actually uses 東北弁(とうほくべん) sooo that explains some of my struggles :joy: now I have two characters in it where if I don’t really get what they’re saying I’m just kinda like “whatever they’re probably saying something weird again” lmao. 九条(くじょう) trying so hard to put herself out there and make friends is so :pleading_face: she’s such a sweetheart and deserves the world honestly, 頑張(がんば)って九条(くじょう)

I read a little more 錆喰いビスコ too; I actually read about two more pages last night after I posted and then today I finished off the little introduction section? It’s still really difficult of course, so much wild vocabulary from all angles but it’s interesting to see such a variety! It’s all a learning experience anyway, so as long as I can muster up the energy to push through why not.

All in all it feels really good to be reading more Japanese, so here’s to keeping it up!

Fun words!!

交流(こうりゅう) - interaction, mingling; aka 九条(くじょう) doing her best!!
横暴(おうぼう) - oppression, tyranny; aka 藤本(ふじもと) lmao
素早(すばや)い - quick, agile
(すさ)まじい - terrific, tremendous, dreadful
亀裂(きれつ) - crack, crevice, fissure (ビスコ really did a number on that little shack)

18 Likes

Summary Post

Day 4: Today I read a page of よつば&!

20 Likes

I fell off the wagon HARD once the holiday season rolled around, but I really want to get back on it! This challenge was a lot of fun last time. Here’s to reading more books and encouraging others to do the same! :clinking_glasses:

:snowflake: Main Tracking Hub :snowflake:
1月
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
2月
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Goals

For now, my only goal is to read a small amount of Japanese every day. Once I reestablish my habit of reading nearly every day, I’ll add in other goals.

1. Read for 10 min. each day.
  2. Catch up with the Intermediate Book Club.
Reading Material

I’m going to start small this time around and only add things if I’ve caught up on a couple of the items on here.

:red_square: かがみの孤城 by 辻村 深月

:red_square: 地球星人 by 村田 沙耶香

:green_square: 月刊少女野崎くん3 by 椿 いづみ

:white_large_square: TODAI articles

Key

:red_square: 0% 〜 33%
:orange_square: 34% 〜 66%
:yellow_square: 66% 〜 99%
:green_square: 100% Complete!
:white_large_square: progress not trackable

23 Likes

Yeah I‘m not yet convinced that we’ll make it to the end :sweat_smile: But let’s see…

I must confess that I only discovered now that it’s a series! :woman_facepalming: I read it in German so long ago that I guess the other books hadn’t been written yet. I don’t remember when exactly I read it, but I know that I recommended it to somebody about 18 or 20 years ago, so there‘s that :grin:

Anyways, we’ll see what we can do! We plan to get together on Friday to discuss the prologue. Hope I can finish it on time :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I read eight pages of a magazine called ちゃお (four yesterday, and four today). It took me a while because I had to look up a bunch of vocabulary.

These were new to me/most interesting

イケ面-----イケめん-----shown as イケメン-----good-looking guy

万能-----ばんのう-----the primary meaning is “all-purpose/utility/universal”, but it used the secondary
meaning of “all-round (e.g. athlete)”.

さばさば-----relieved; refreshed​ (Onomatopoeic or mimetic word)

20 Likes

Well done! This is pretty much the point I was at this time last year, stumbling through one page of こぐまのケーキ屋さん at a time - and now I can read a few pages of it casually before bed and have made it through several novels. It all gets easier from here!

14 Likes

Home Post :snowman:

Reflection :snowflake:
While I didn’t really touch スパイファミリー again (master procrastinator as you can see), I did read my first manga (not complete) in Japanese without relying on any dictionaries at all. I also learnt how to draw Komiさん :slight_smile:

Stats
(Didn’t include the manga time because I forgot how many pages I read and left the book at school =) )

*And I’m kinda thinking of dropping スパイファミリー and focusing more on また、同じ夢を見てた

Anyways, good luck everyone :four_leaf_clover:

23 Likes