📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

I would second this. I was expecting them to be tricky based on their Natively rating etc but I’d say that it’s probably like 90% even easier prose than かがみの孤城 with the occasional “let’s talk about science and computers for a few pages”. So those bits ramp the overall difficulty up a bit but on the other hand it’s one of the very few books I will sometimes read a chapter of without looking up more than a few words. That said, I’m only half way through the second book so maybe it will ramp up in difficulty but I wouldn’t be put off by the natively rating at least.

5 Likes

May 27th!

I read the next chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san. This chapter was cute, and surprised me, since it didn’t go the way I expected :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

18 Likes
Birthday reply

:joy:

If most of your friends have children, it can be much harder to have a party for sure. So might be better to do the kind of party where they can take their kids with them. Won’t perhaps be the same, but going to a park with a good play area and having a picnic could be an option, and/or (go to a green area and) taking outdoor games with you. Or the beach. I guess if your birthday is in winter, those might not be viable options.

If nothing else, make your 30th/40th/x0th parties be smashingly huge instead. Because those is more generally accepted for big parties.

Unfortunately unless people have ready made babysitters (like their own parents), getting a babysitter is a chore and also costs money. So yeah, harder to do party things if they can’t take their kids with them.

I fear the employees at the party centre might intervene due to fearing you are having a breakdown. :rofl:

Sounds like you are making the best of the situation. :drooling_face: Except… ditch the guilt. :wink:

May 27

Read about the first 15 pages of chapter 7 of Yotsuba&. I got a late start and I have something more to cram in before bed, so only half a chapter today. A new character was introduced Miura-chan. The funniest thing so far was Ena’s and Miura’s reaction of Yotsuba’s chalk outline drawing of ジャンボ. Murder of a giant. :joy:

21 Likes

Oh! That might be it. People do hate that.

Thank you and @enbyboiwonder for letting me know. I’ll see if I can manage to watch it, then.

8 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

May 27th :cherry_blossom:

・薬屋のひとりごと 2 (64% → 68%)

Finished chapter 15 and half of 16.

23 Likes

Summary Post

May 27
Final Fantasy VII

Alright, finally back to reading a bit. Between the actual recovery and some excuses I haven’t done proper reading in so many days. That’s fine, I intend to keep reading and using the thread in June as well. Hopefully I can already make it a daily thing again :tada: .

22 Likes

Day 56

• ジョジョの奇妙な冒険

112-139

I kinda passed out from sleepiness while reading. This was the delightful part where Jotaro carries an unconscious and bleeding teen through Tokyo back to his house. Also jfc, Jot’s house is massive. I found this bit pretty pleasant to read because you can see how much Jotaro cares about his mom. It’s really adorable. Also, he says ちょいと instead of ちょっと, which sounds so much cuter to my ears lol.

please ignore

I have nothing nice to say about discourse. it needs to stop deleting shit from my posts. I just want to chain all these together so they’re easier to go through.

25 Likes

More on birthdays…

The large scale parties that I’ve read about in books and seen on TV… I’ve never had one. We had simple traditions in my family. We buy a cake, put candles on it, sing the birthday song and give out presents. Then my father would take us out to our preferred eating place for dinner on the day or the nearest weekend. Then the pandemic hit so we had to eat in but we still got the cake and the presents. (Naturally, as the amount of candles increased, we either used number candles or just left them out.) Well, there are seven people in my family and most of us are quite introverted so that was enough of a ‘birthday celebration’ for us.

Now that I’ve written all this out, I realised that it’s since the pandemic hit that my brothers’ lack of birthday enthusiasm became more pronounced. After all, since we couldn’t go out, all we ended up doing was buying a cake and eating at home. We couldn’t even have delivery for some birthdays because the government instituted a lockdown. So since there was hardly anything to do, they probably just treated their birthdays as any other day. But! I can’t do that. At least one day in the year, I want to focus on my existence so I look forward to my birthday every year.

I’d like to try this. Do you have any recipes?

9 Likes

May 28, Sun :cherry_blossom: home post

Week 9 of Spring 2022’s summary

Reading

• The truth is I have read something else, but I might not dare post everything here (and I believe it’s not exactly few - Bookwalker burned quite a sum of money). Nonetheless, Death Note Ch.15 is read. Nonetheless, learning quality varies, depending on how calm I am.
  • I find Wikipedia readable, but depends on how focused I am; and perhaps the difficulty of the article itself. After all, it does depend on whether I can keep up my 我慢. 羅生門 is more difficult, however.
    • Not sure if 青空文庫 is not properly configured, especially on mobile. But with Kiwi Browser, I can open up DevTools and 1. set lang="ja" 2. style="line-height: 2".
  • I’ve found Doctor K, and it feels quite cool. With Furigana too - I am considering reading it.

Listening

• I watched Yuru Camp Season 1 Episode 1, but it is not on Netflix (which started from Season 2). I believe it is essential, as a antidote to manga’s lack of Furigana.
    • I can’t find Japanese subtitle so far, and I have to watch multiple times (but not advancing the episode).
  • Some songs of my interest in the past; but many new songs in various thread on this forum. Also, a little of VTubers - however, they don’t feel like conversational Japanese.
  • Found that AnkiDroid can record audio as well (but not as far as Speech-to-text). Also found Speechling - might be a nice way to restart doing flashcards and learning from phrasebooks.
    • Nonetheless, I didn’t do much Anki lately.
  • Found that YouTube with timestamp can be embedded in Anki (and AnkiDroid). Nonetheless, HTML should be edited too. (style="width: 100%; aspect-ratio: 16/9" and remove width=, height=)
  • I found jpdb.io Discord server, and chatted a little there.

Grammar

• Sentence breakdown makes me more aware of sentence structures.
    • I have always known that early levels’ context sentences are weird, like de-Kanji’d in odd places; but never took them seriously.
    • After the breakdown, I would deduce the grammar points, and look up on explantion, anyway. However, I also see an importance of running through the essentials sequentially, without skipping. though, I haven’t started the latter one, yet
    • Apparently, there are 78 vocabularies in Level 2, therefore around 200 sentences. It will probably takes 4 weeks / 1 month.
  • A man in Takagi Vol.1 club is quite actively learning, and I learnt a lot from him, and some others’ answers to him. Personally, I have watched Takagi EP.1, but not really read Vol.1
22 Likes

Today I read chapter 0 and part of chapter 1 of 海辺のカフカ for the book club, 14 pages. In my copy the end of chapter 3 (so week one’s reading) is through page 37 so I’ll probably finish it this weekend. So far I’m not terribly engaged, but I suspected from the outset that 村上’s writing style wasn’t totally my taste (I tried reading him before and got bored and never finished :sweat_smile: ). But, “have you read any Murakami?” is a common question when people learn I study Japanese so I figured I should try to finish something by him.

I also read a bit more of 心霊探偵八雲, finishing the second case in the book. I also learned a new word that I found interesting, spoilered for sensitive topic:

So apparently 水子 refers to the would-be baby of a miscarriage, a stillbirth, or an abortion. I saw the word in the text and was thinking “すいし? すいこ?みずし?” because surely it’s not read みずこ as that’s a name. Nope. It’s read みずこ alright. The name it appears is mostly written as 瑞子 for this reason. However, English wikipedia notes it used to be read すいじ which at least makes sense to me as a reading. One day I should look into how that switch happened (in Japanese).

Edit: I just realized we’re only reading through chapter 2 this week! Which means I’m actually exactly halfway done with the week’s reading as chapter 2 ends on my page 28.

29 Likes

I got home very late today, so only read two pages of 浦島太郎. Taro goes under the sea with the turtle, and they come to a beautiful palace. It is the Palace of the Dragon King. Inside is the younger princess, who meets them. She is preparing to take them somewhere. I’ll find out where tomorrow.

21 Likes

Home

I saw the week 1 thread for 海辺のカフカ go live this afternoon and thought, “Woah, I thought that was starting next month, it’s today?!” (I’m no good with dates. Or time in general.) Nope, it’s tomorrow. It’s still the 27th in my time zone. Well, I could have started today anyway when I saw that, but I was already set on trying to finish 夜カフェ, so I’m starting tomorrow. I already got it out, took off the jacket, and set it on my stack of books I’m reading in the living room in preparation, so hopefully I won’t turn myself into a liar tomorrow lol

Yeah I decided to read ahead (some more) and finish 夜カフェ today, mostly because I wanted to finish a Japanese novel this month, and it became clear a long time ago that I was not finishing my current volume of 2.43 this challenge. That the 海辺のカフカ book club is starting now too is just a bonus. I read ch 9-13, which was about 65 pages of text. I kept going back and forth between “Hey, it’s only like 60 pages, that’s not that much” and “Okay this is kind of a lot actually” and “I can totally get this finished today” and “Nope it’s definitely a lot” and “Hey, I’ve already nearly finished it!” lol

I’m thinking, if I had the whole day free and I started it in the morning, reading a whole Aoi Tori Bunko book in a day might just be feasible. Based off how long ch 8 took me on Wednesday, I’d thought I might be able to finish one in a matter of hours like ハイキュー!!, but these 5 chapters today took me a lot longer than I’d expected, so maybe not. But regardless, it feels nice to have finished my third novel!

Even though I’d told myself I wouldn’t buy any novels this past book haul and would only get manga, not long before I ordered them I came across the 朗読CD (read by Enoki Junya) of 明日をくれた君に、光のラブレターを, and since it sounded good I decided to get the novel this time around with the intent of seeing whether I’d want to get the CD sometime for listening practice. I’d kind of been planning on starting it before the 海辺のカフカ book club started, but since I misjudged how much time I had left before then and it’s now, I’m not sure I wanna be starting another novel just yet. Well, we’ll see how reading 海辺 goes first. If I don’t have trouble keeping up with the pace, I may start reading this one on the days that I don’t read that, or I’ll just stick with manga.

27 Likes

May 27 :cherry_blossom: Home Post

Alright I’m invested, it’s official :joy: I played more AI: The Somnium Files as you could probably guess, and oh man things are happening. Poor みずき… first people suspecting her dad murdered her mom, and now her dad’s also turning up murdered? And in such brutal ways too, oof. I’m really curious what the deal with the incident 6 years ago is, there are some clear similiarities but also enough differences that they don’t seem directly related, but it’s certainly not a coincidence that 伊達(だて) lost his memory (and his eye :eyes:) 6 years ago as well. And why are they being so secretive about it?? So yeah they’ve got me :laughing:

Plot intricacies aside the dialogue is just fun; the amount of stupid jokes 伊達(だて) makes with the most self-satisfied look on his face is just delightful:

Comedic genius, that one. :laughing:

Tomorrow I’ll (hopefully) start 海辺(うみべ)のカフカ with the book club, so that’ll be a change of pace for sure. I’ve still never finished an actual book in Japanese :sweat_smile: but I should be pretty well equipped at this point (again hopefully lmao). I’m looking forward to giving it a go!

25 Likes

May 27th (Calendar Post)

からかい上手の高木さん => 16 pages (12 min)
それでも歩は寄せてくる => 20 pages (18 min)
Happiness => 49 pages (25 min)
少女漫画主人公×ライバルさん => 46 pages (50 min)
Flying Witch => 34 pages

Some fun panels from today’s reading:

ほうほう

#bestEvilGrin

23 Likes
More about omitted text in かがみの孤城

Some parts were tricky to translate for me, but not for a professional translator, I think. I can remember a paragraph that was about the emotions that a character felt about something that had happened before that was omitted in its entirety and there was nothing untranslatable about that. I guess something like that could be seen as non-essential to the plot, but it did explain the motivations of the character at that point…

8 Likes

May 28th!

I read Chapter 8 of 夜カフェ today. The story is starting to move along so I enjoyed it a lot even though it took me about 2 hours to read the full chapter! I don’t think it usually takes me quite so long to read a chapter of this book, so maybe it was a slightly longer one or something - though maybe I’m just a bit tired!

(Home Post)

24 Likes

:tiger2: :books: Tanuki Den (aka Homepost): Date 20220528 :cherry_blossom: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll LVIII: でこ鼻、手長、足長 :nose: :raised_hand: :foot:

Read today’s folktale, from Niigata prefecture!

About nose-man, hand-man, and foot-man getting along… it was just completely mad :laughing:
Such as making a campfire in nose-man’s nose because it is so big and eventually a whole town is pulled from this nose… because?

Today is also konjac day.

:seedling: Japanese found in the tall grass :seedling:

Learnthings

Places
米山薬師「よねやまやくし」ー Yoneyama shrine, Aira
長岡京「ながおかきょう」ー Nagaoka-kyo, was once the capital of Japan (way back in 784-794)

Replies

Almost forgot about this as well, I don’t really have the money either, and then there’s worrying about not wanting to make a fuss… when did birthdays get so complicated? :rofl:

One of my favourites is Kladdkaka (Swedish mudcake), there’s also this brownie-like cake with fruit in it that is really tasty but my sister took the cookbook. I’ll have to see if I can find it out or find something similar because it’s really good.

The recipe for kladdkaka I used is just an ICA special - kladdkaka
Google translate from Swedish to English seems to be alright.

But I’ll write it out too with some notes, as I do it a bit different:

Kladdkaka

Ingredients
100g butter
2 eggs
(3 if they’re small)
250g / 2.5 dl sugar
(Personally I find this to be way too much sugar, I usually use brown sugar too and put in about 75g)
3 tablespoons of cacao powder
(Along with this I like to add a 1/4 to a 1/2 of a tablespoon of coffee granules too)
2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar
(I just use a teaspoon or 2 of vanilla extract instead)
150g / 1.5 dl flour
Pinch of salt

Additional
I like to crush up some nuts to use as a base, pecans are really good, but any work really. Cashews, walnuts, peanuts, all work well. I’m not sure on the exact measurement as I just get a bag of them and crush them, probably 100g-200g. But there needs to be enough to cover the bottom of whatever tin you’re using to cook it in.

I also like to put chocolate chips on top, I think the ones I get come in 150g bags.
(personally dark chocolate chips are my favourite to use, also any you don’t use can just be eaten while you wait for it to cook)

Serving
It says to serve with whipped cream and berries of your choice, strawberries/raspberries and cream do go well with it, but my favourite is to have it with chocolate ice cream, preferable dark chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips in it. Also good to have chocolate sauce as well as the ice cream.

Prep

• Set oven at 200C
  • Grease the baking tin, it’s best to use one of those were the bottom is removable, or put in a baking sheet so you can remove it easily. The suggested baking tin is 24cm in diameter, I think mine is a little wider. Basically you don’t want the mixture to be spread too thin or to be too thick.
  • If you’re going to use the nuts, mash up the nuts into small pieces, and then cover the bottom of the tin with them so you have a nice even layer.
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan
  • Whisk the eggs and sugar together - do not use an electric whisk
  • Mix the cocoa and the flour together, I find it’s best to sieve them first, and then add the salt. If you are using vanilla sugar then add that too, as well as the coffee if you choose. Then add this mixture to the egg-sugar mixture and mix it all together. Add the vanilla extract here if you’re using that over vanilla sugar.
  • Add the melted butter. Mix it gently until it is all nice and smooth. It should be thick and sticky but shouldn’t be powdery or runny.
  • Pour into the tin, and spread it out evenly across the tin. (if you’ve gone for nuts sometimes some of the nut pieces like to come to the surface but it’s alright).
  • Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. This part is mostly to your own judgement and taste. The less time the more gooey it’ll be in the middle and the more time the more cakey-like it’ll be (it’s very similar to cooking brownies). The perfect outcome (in my opinion) is when the middle is still nice and gooey but the top has a crispy-crunchy edge to it. I think 12 mins worked out best for me.
  • If you’re using chocy-chips I add them at about the 7-10 minute mark, so they melt enough to stick to the top but not melt completely. You can also add them at the end when you get it out of the oven if you prefer them that way.

Devouring it
The recipe does state that you should let it cool before eating, I usually only leave it about 5 minutes because it is really nice while it’s still warm. Also it’s kinda hard to resist when you have this constant smell of chocolate wafting at you.

Also, if you don’t eat it all in one sitting it is very nice chilled, in the fridge or freezer. The fridge keeps the gooeyness but gives it a nice truffle-like firmness. The freezer doesn’t make it rock-solid but the gooeyness is gone. I usually cut the leftovers in half so I can have the best of both.

25 Likes

Day 58

Read about Yamagata prefecture and its cherries :cherries:. I now want to go there and participate in all-you-can-eat cherry picking sessions.

21 Likes
Apr
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
May
02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
[/quote]
17 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

May 28th :seedling:

・薬屋のひとりごと 2 (68% → 79%)

Finished chapter 16 and 17.

I’ve never seen this kind comment in a dictionary before, so that was fun.

22 Likes