📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

Summary Post

May 19-20
Final Fantasy VII

It’s been so long again, I thought an update was in order. I haven’t read today (yet?) but if I don’t update I’ll forget completely the little I did.

I’ve been sick this last week with fever and very little drive to do anything at all :sob: . The fever is gone but my throat has been killing me at times and I’m also sleepy and tired most of the time. I was wondering if it was finally covid but nope, two antigen tests came out negative on different days. Just plain seasonal fun.

So anyways, I’ve barely read anything, only those two days. However I’ve actually been doing Japanese every day, almost binging the anime 古見こみさんは、コミュしょうです。on Netflix with Japanese subs and I’ve been having so much fun with it because it feels very comfortable to understand. The anime itself is also quite entertaining with fun characters (and a lot of puns to their names pointing to their personalities) and has a lot of cute moments (though it also had a couple things I didn’t vibe with, but whatever, am I getting old?). I’ve been having so much fun with it precisely because I watched it completely in Japanese and that’s been a nice boost to my confidence. It’s not particularly hard to understand or anything but it still has fast speech here and there and I haven’t needed to rewind that much. I did pause frequently to read Komi’s notebook handwriting though, there’s a ton of that and it’s important to the plot.

My relationship with anime is so weird. I can go without watching any for the longest time, months or years, and then I get hooked on something again and binge a lot. Then it either makes me want to watch more series right after and I do, or I go back to not watching anything for another long period, and then repeat. Now that I’m confident about watching them in Japanese I really want to continue watching anything else that has Japanese subs on Netflix. Unfortunately not everything does even with the language set to Japanese, and that’s meh, but it is what it is. At this point I will watch anything that has subs and seems interesting enough. I feel like watching something is much easier for me to do than reading something right now energy wise, so maybe I should consider that as a strategy to boost immersion exposure going forward. I installed an extension called Subadub that converts Netflix subs so that you can use Yomichan on them and it’s really convenient.

Also I like podcasts. I find listening quite entertaining overall in whatever form. I might consider tracking some other data like that in the next challenge in a summary box or something just as a small log other than reading.

Also FF7 already reaching spicy parts :eyes: . Going great. Ahhhh biting my tongue.

24 Likes