Radical for anti (反)

Why is the radical for anti on level 9 if you already know the kanji from level 8?

If you Guru’d that… you obviously know the meaning.

You’ll find as you go ahead that sometimes a kanji you have previously learned comes up as a radical. From an organisational sense, I suspect they have you learn the kanji as a radical again because the system always links a kanji back to the radicals the comprise it and you’ll see that this kanji is also used as a component in future kanji you’ll learn; such as the Level 9 kanji 返 and 仮 for example.

Think as radicals as being ‘kanji components’ - sometimes kanji are components of other kanji, hehe.

1 Like

Well yeah, but what’s the point in spending 3.5 days on things you already know. I just noticed level 9 is full of them. I already dislike radicals because of the way I typically remember kanji, but this is getting pretty funny.

1 Like

Sure, I can see you point there, but look at it like this; radical reviews only require a meaning, so it’ll take a couple extra seconds per radical you have to review at most. Plus, if you already know it, the recall should be fast enough that you barely even notice them being there.

Also, by my count only 4/20 of the radicals at Level 9 match existing kanji and I’d say that’s about on par. It’s also worth pointing out that the lower levels have far higher levels of radicals to learn than later levels. You’ve been seeing 15-25 radicals per level, but from Level 10 onward, they have at most 17 each and from level 14 onward, none of them have more than 8. As you progress, you’ll see less and less new radicals or kanji being learned as radicals :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, I don’t really mind the extra time, it just found it really odd, especially since I had just guru’d it and I was like “Oh no, not you again”. I cheat on my radicals anyway since they’re virtually useless for committing to memory (but I still end up learning them due to muscle memory…).

But it’s good to hear that they stop pummeling so many radicals.

1 Like

This happens quite often on WK. I think the only reason they do it is because of their rules: kanji mnemonics can only refer to radicals.

In many cases more complex kanji contain simpler kanji, so WK makes you learn a radical that’s pretty much a kanji you already know.

2 Likes

The system is set up such that all kanji are composed of radicals. This is because the radicals have specifically chosen names that are unambiguous, unlike the kanji, which can have many meanings and synonyms.

The alternative to not turning 反 into a radical would be to continue to use the cliff and stool radicals again for other kanji that contain it. This is just more cumbersome for the mnemonics.

It’s fine to say you don’t use the mnemonics, but they created the service as a way to deliver the mnemonics, and so that’s why they handle it the way they do.

2 Likes

This explains it, it sounds like it has to do with the Entity Relations they have in the database. It made no sense when I first saw it but now I get it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.