Question regarding vocabulary "One Thing"

I am just starting to learn vocabulary.

I just got to my first vocabulary, One Thing.

I am a little confused as to why when I play the pronunciation, I only hear “stotsu.” I don’t hear “hitotsu.”

Thank you!

2 Likes

They’re saying ひとつ

The hi is devoiced because of how…well… devoicing works in Japanese. I don’t know what else to say other than you have to learn what sounds are what, so it’s best to just know that’s what ひ will sound like when devoiced.

9 Likes

Is it devoiced though? I hear the ひ clear as day.

2 Likes

Yes it is, as it should be. Devoicing at the start of a word/sentence like this is generally less drastic than in the middle so it might feel harder to hear for you? But I’m sure if you heard an unvoiced one side by side the difference would become a lot more apparent.

4 Likes

“I hear the sound clearly as ‘this syllable’ even though its specific sound instantiation in this environment isn’t the way it shows up in other contexts” is what you should expect when your brain has got used to listening in a foreign language, so congratulations :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Also this, lol. Happens a lot for entire words and phrases when you’re listening to poor enunciation. People who aren’t familiar with the language would have no hope of transcribing it but it sounds clearer to you.

3 Likes

Incidentally, in the 1879 “Exercises in the Yokohama Dialect” the counting numbers are rendered ‘stoats; stats; meats; yotes…’ so this difficulty with the devoicing for English speakers is long-standing.

(Read the rest of the booklet; it’s great.)

16 Likes

This is literally cursed.

11 Likes

Atsie sammy eel oh piggy nigh?

3 Likes

I had no idea what your comment meant until I clicked on the link

We can only hope that someone used that statement in good faith! XD

1 Like

I still don’t know what it’s supposed to be…

1 Like

I can’t quite figure out “piggy nigh” (I’m assuming it ends in ない, but “piggy” is a mystery to me), but I think “atsie sammy eel oh” is 暑い 寒い 色. Maybe??

2 Likes

It says this on the top of the left page, but I still do not understand.

From the previous page

3 Likes

It’s not japanese, it’s pidgin, piggy is probably not a real japanese word

https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/2p15dd/comment/cmse8fu/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

ah yes, indonesian

5 Likes

Here’s a helpful video from Dogen that explains the rules of devoicing Japanese vowels:

tl;dr
i and u are devoiced when between consonants that could get a tenten/dakuten but don’t have one. Also sometimes at the end of a word.

7 Likes

Oh, I did figure out 暑い寒い but I didn’t think of it as “seasons”, but I get it now. Yeah, it was mostly piggy tripping me up.

Another thing I’d note is that the reason you’re hearing something like an “s” sound is because “ひ” doesn’t map perfectly on to the English “h”, but instead has more of a hiss to it.

4 Likes

lighthouse = foonev high kin serampan nigh rosokoo.
I feel like there’s a joke in there …
fooney = boat (船), rosokoo = candle (ろうそく), serampan might be sailor something?

This is great? This is cursed, it’d be easier to just teach someone how to read Romaji

1 Like