[Preview]: Upcoming wkstats.com changes (Have you reset your level?)

I’m really grateful this new version, even if just a test type page in production, is ale to handle the reset properly, as it was discouraging seeing the stats so skewed on the original site. I’m not happy that I stepped away for many years, but life is life and here I am :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the items section, if you haven’t paid for Wanikani, kanji that are on Wanikani above Level 3 show as “Not on Wanikani.” Is it possible you could at least have something explaining that on the site?

Edit: Other than this and that the projection page doesn’t exist, this new version is great! :durtjovahs_witness::crabigator:

P.S. On the Progress page, can you show the next review date?

2 Likes

Hi @rfindley, I was wondering whether you’re planning to add the new projections page at some point? I’m currently seeing a 404 for it… https://www.wkstats.com:10001/progress/projections

Also, I showed the new page to a few users of the old page, and their comment was always: “But I cannot see all stats on one page any more! I will stick with the old site instead.”
Now, I personally think that that’s a bit extreme, but to be fair I’d also prefer to have all the information on one page again, like in the old version. What do you think?

Yep, I’m planning to finish it eventually. I’ll have pretty much zero free time for the next few months, but once my current work project ends, I’m hoping to finish wkstats.

Also, yeah, I’m planning to merge some of the pages together like the old site. For now, it’s easier to work on them when they’re separate, which is why it is the way it is currently.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

@rfindley hey there! with the api1 sunsetting… and this thread near closing :slight_smile: I’ll post and make sure it doesn’t automatically close…

how are the wkstats coming along? will they still be maintained? will api2 be fully functional? replacing everything… a few things that I really miss on the api2 is the level up indicator is different:

api1 shows the next level up time (assuming no mistakes)

api2 doesn’t show that … if you exceed your average it just shows zeros

also the counter something I really like for api1 is how many vocab are left (just started in on the vocab for this level so it’s zero) but it’s nice to know how many are left before moving onto the new radicals (yeah I’m one of the slower leveling folks)…
but the new one doesn’t do the math for you per say:

just says 126 of 126 … can play around with filters maybe but something I’ve always liked about the api1 stats…

probably a bad example because I just started the vocab for this level today, but it’s nice to see XX of XXX learned and then you know how many are left to learn before moving onto the next level radicals… (for those of us that don’t reorder)

of course the big one…the projections still isn’t setup on the api2 stats … certain a bunch of folks will miss that one if it goes away…

No pressure … just hoping there might be updates :wink:

2 Likes

Please see the most recent posts in the main thread:

@shuly You know that message at the bottom of this thread that says it will be closed after a year? It’s not here because it won’t be closed after a year. However, there’s probably a reason nobody has posted here.

@rfindley If you ever want the thread closed, just flag the topic and let the mods know, and they will be willing to do so.

1 Like

@shuly,
Thanks for the feedback.

The level-up indicator (i.e. “Level-up in: xx days, xx hours”) on v2 will eventually be similar to v1. The indicator on v2 needs to use the new “fastest possible” calculation, which wasn’t done yet at the time that I put up the ‘preview’ site. The calculations are done now, but I haven’t plugged it into the level-up indicator yet.

Regarding the “(xx out of 123) learned”…
As your suggested, you can get the same result via the filters: Just deselect the unlearned items (i.e. ‘locked’ and ‘lesson’), and the “(xx of xxx shown)” will tell you the number that you’ve learned.

I know that’s an extra step, and a lot of people like the consistent stat as shown on v1. But it’s also a tradeoff: For example, people define ‘learned’ differently. Some people consider it to be items that reached Guru, and others think of it as items for which you’ve completed the lesson. Also, by listing the number of items shown (instead of just the number learned), you can extract a lot of additional info. For example, by hiding everything except burned items, you can see what percentage of items you’ve burned, or what percentage of JLPT items you have (or will) learn.

That being said, I do plan to add a “settings” box, so I could make it an option to (also) show ‘learned’ instead of (or in addition to) ‘shown’. I won’t make any promises, but I’ll keep it in mind. And don’t hesitate to remind me if I release the next version and it’s missing something you’d like to see.

Also, the ‘projections’ will definitely be there. In fact, it’s the main reason v2 isn’t out of ‘alpha’ yet. But it’s going to look a lot different. A lot more useful, I think.

8 Likes

The king is dead,
long live the king.

https://www.wkstats.com:10001 not working for me today…
wkstats.com seems to be working still ? or it’s a refresh issue… ? or the 10001 site was moved to the old one ?

works fine for me

3 Likes

thank you !

Definitely thank you! I had no idea about the /v2 version!

I’ve been using the wkstats .com pretty much everyday since i discovered it a few months ago. I had no idea there was a V2. Thank for the hard work, it looks great!

You can imagine my relief…

https://www.wkstats.com/v2

4 Likes

Just FYI, I gather you’ve just recently changed it to be /v2/ without needing the /v2/. Going to the root of the site works, and navigating around all works, but if I refresh the browser, it 404’s, or hit enter in the url when it is anywhere other than the root of the site, it 404s.

I’m on Chrome 84.

Thanks for the wonderful tool and all your work.

1 Like

Fixed, thanks!

I missed copying a configuration line in the web server.

4 Likes

Don’t worry - that’s coming back!

3 Likes

Great to hear that! Excellent site, BTW! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just want to say my appreciation for the great site! I love checking out my stats once in a while and its really motivating to see progress by the numbers. I’m really looking forward to the projections tab once its finished, I frequently visit that tab every now and then to see if its finished :smiley:

7 Likes

Hey there, is there a way to access a Projects page, either on an earlier site or to calculate it manually? Just wanted to get a rough idea of my progress as I close in on Level 20.

3 Likes

I I’ve been using wk stats top review all my kanji, reading thorught all my burned items in sequence.

Could you make it so we can randomise the display order in each level, so i’m not aided so much by context.

thanks!

You may consider using the Item Inspector script for this.

• You select the Burned item table
  • You click the random Selection button

This will display a selection of your burned item in random order on the screen. You may use this to study your burned items.