Post your J-CAT score!

I am pretty proud of the scores!

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a great score! For how long a have you been studying? And how?

I study on my own for the most part. Basically I read a lot. Shoujo mangas are the easiest to get into. I compare the JP raw with the English translations to check whether my understanding is correct or not along the way too. It’s been over ten years I believe since I’ve started studying.

1 Like

Wait, is there any problem with signing up with multiple email addresses? I wouldn’t take the test back to back, but I’d love to not be so picky and stressed about when I choose to take it

I don’t know if this is how the test actually works, but if it is then you should definitely use the same emaul address.

Forgot to post my screen cap :stuck_out_tongue:

Pretty even, need a bit more listening.

And that JCAT was exactly halfway between the start of learning japanese and first JLPT this summer ^^

I’m curious to see what happens after 6 months, and to see if I get the same questions again (or if I’ll even remember getting the same questions after 6 mths -_-)

3 Likes

Those scores are pretty similar to mine, which JLPT level are you taking?

I was deliberating between N5 and 4 for the longest time, I mean I started in December, and I thought taking N4 would be too haughty of me. After the JCAT though, I think I’ll try N4 :smiley:

I did the N5 workbook test with real timing (and even printed out answer sheets haha) and got 80 out of 89 questions right. Have to try the N4 book too, but I’m scared :frowning:

There’s still 3 months to go though~~

If you don’t want to buy the workbooks you can also get them here:

The Official JLPT N5 Practice Workbook

The Official JLPT N4 Practice Workbook

The Official JLPT N3 Practice Workbook

7 Likes

You started in December? That’s some really quick work!
I’m taking N3 this summer, if the Swedish JLPT doesn’t fall through. My N3 practice workbook arrived in the mail just a few days ago, I mean to go through it before the test.

I knew some kana before December though, memorised them in school for fun (I really don’t know why :sweat_smile:), and I learned Chinese for a couple of years before too, which apparently really helped with kanji learning.

And…my secret…: I learned it helped having a favourite actor to motivate in language learning. Wouldn’t have been able to do what I’ve been doing for the past 3.5 months without 玉木宏 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

One day. I’ll understand his non-subbed interviews too! ᕙ(˵ ಠ ਊ ಠ ˵)ᕗ

I want to do the N4 book before sending the registration form (deadline is the first week of April, but I’m away at the end of March) – should be done really soon, heh.

2 Likes

I decided to retake the test using a new account, mainly because I felt like the results on my first test were a fluke due to the multiple choice nature of the test and also because this month marks the 6th month since I started studying :smiley: .

Pleasantly surprised with getting similar results, and also seeing a slight increase in my listening/reading over the course of a month. I’m curious to see what my reading progress will be like when I take the test again in 6 months since I recently read through the first volume of よつばと!and managed to get the general gist of each chapter without looking up any words in a dictionary (i.e via 多読 (tadoku method)), which made me want to order the rest of the series for よつばと!and also 僕だけがいない街 (Erased).

1 Like

That’s the old N3, I believe - or N4 now.

The JLPT now has 5 levels, the J-CAT is still using the old levels from when there were only 4 levels.

not too bad? 2.5 years of studying and a semester abroad! I would never had guessed that I was the best at listening, but maybe I just got lucky? I def didn’t think I was anywhere close to N2 though, hopefully I can actually pass it this December!

2 Likes

There isn’t an old N3… It was just 3. The N was added to differentiate the old 1, 2, 3, and 4, from N1, N2, N3, N4, and N5.

The J-CAT skips one of them though…

I’ve seen other people say the same. In either case, I believe it uses the old 1-4 levels rather than the N1-N5 levels in it’s “approximation” chart for how many points is equivalent to which level of the JLPT.
(It was mentioned by multiple people in the old version of this thread.)

1 Like

Hah. Gotta do more grammar and reading. Why am I not surprised. Didn’t think my listening would get that score, though, I thought it was quite a tough exercise

Section Score
Listening 51
Vocabulary 48
Grammar 36
Reading 31
Total 166

2 Likes

The comparison of old and new levels is here:

So I guess it should be something like:
J-CAT Proficiency Level JLPT 日本語能力試験
-100 Basic 初級 Level 4 —> now N5
100-150 Pre-Intermediate 中級前半 Level 3 —> now N4
150-200 Intermediate 中級 —> now N3
200-250 Intermediate-High 中級後半 Level 2 —> now N2
250-300 Pre-Advanced 上級前半 Level 1 —> N1
300-350 Advanced 上級 —>??
350- Near Native 日本語母語話者相当 —> above N1

like that? if you want to be save, convert it 1 step lower, i.e. 100-150: N5, 150-200: N4, etc. that’s what I did to conclude I’ll take N4 anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

One or two questions might have been lucky guesses. So i imagine I’m actually still below the 100 mark. I’m giving the JLPT N5 in July this year. I go for a Japanese language class once a week. Everyone in the class is still in college and learning Japanese on the side as a hobby or to consider interpreter jobs perhaps… At 35, I’m perhaps the oldest in the class. Because I’ve started so late I want to go fast and reach N2 by next year December. Is that perhaps too difficult a goal? I’ve just started Wanikani and I’m on level 5 right now.

1 Like

I’d say on the CEFR scale, since N1 is equal to C1, the higher levels of JCAT probably equate to C2 at some point. It’s possible to earn C2 certification in Japanese, but not through JLPT. You have to take the J-Test and score at least 900/1000 points. C1 certification through J-Test (equivalent of N1 on JLPT) is 700 points… it’s a big difference lol.

1 Like

eh. C2.

My third language is German and while it took just a bit to get from A1 to B1, getting from B2 to C1 took forever. not sure if i’m gna ever be C2 in any language other than my own mother tongue and English -_-

1 Like