Option to intentionally delay levelling-up to avoid getting overwhelmed

After trying out a few options, I think this is excatly the method I’m going to use, it’ll achieve exactly what I’m looking. This way on top of all the new level lessons, I’ll only have a couple vocabulary items related to the last 3-4 kanji from the previous lesson that I can get out the way immediately. This will help a lot, thanks!

2 Likes

I mean you can always keep a break from lessons and focus on reviews. Reorder script allows you to also order them by level and you can do vocabulary first without doing kanji and radical lessons etc. You could also intentionally not do the second batch of the kanji lessons and only do the vocabulary until they are done before entering new kanjis.

For me typical level goes around like this:

1. Level up. Do about 1/3-1/2 of the new vocabulary
  2. Do about 1/3-1/2 of the new vocabulary
  3. Do rest of the vocabulary if any left. Do about 4-5 kanjis.
  4. Do 10-15 kanjis ( can also be divided into several days if you want)
  5. Do rest of the kanjis if any left and new radicals (after level 14 there are 4-8 radicals per level).
    Do reviews only, until new vocabulary open from the kanjis
    -> Do the new vocabulary as they open
    -> Do the new kanjis as they open
    -> level up in 10-14 days depending on how big or small batches I do.

IF I have more time and I want to level up in 8-10 days I change the pattern:
First all radicals, then vocabulary and kanji in mixed batches in about 2-3/1 ratio. -> New kanji immediately as they open from radicals or in two days -> Vocabulary in batches after that.

Usually I aim for one level per 10-14 days. It is not about speed, it is about sustainability. You are allowed to do small batches and you can delay leveling up by doing the second kanji batch after everything else, and starting the new level always with new vocabulary.

1 Like