On'yomi vs Kun'yomi

Hi, this is my first post on WaniKani! So, I know that there are two ways to say kanji: on’yomi and kun’yomi. I think WaniKani teaches the on’yomi for kanji, and kun’yomi for the vocabulary. I can differentiate the sayings because of the colors used on this site. But that won’t happen in actual Japanese texts. For example: 水 is pronounced as すい in on’yomi and みず in kun’yomi, correct? So, if I were to come across this kanji in text, should I assume it’s the kanji reading, or vocabulary reading?

https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/onyomi-kunyomi/ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

WaniKani isn’t differentiating by on’yomi and kun’yomi; they are differentiating between kanji and words (vocab). On WaniKani, pink represents kanji, while purple represents words. When WaniKani teaches a kanji, they select what they consider the most important or common reading to teach. This is usually, but not always, the on’yomi reading. When WaniKani teaches you a vocab item, they are teaching you an actual word that is used in the language. These words can have any number of kanji, and will sometimes use kun’yomi, sometimes use on’yomi, and sometimes use a combination of the two (and rarely they will even use a non-on’yomi non-kun’yomi reading).

So I’ll use your example to make what I’m saying clear. If you see 水 all by itself as its own word, it would be read みず, because that’s how the word 水 is read. If you saw it in a compound word, it would depend on the word. For example, 水泳 (swimming) is read すいえい. However, 水着 (bathing suit) is read みずぎ.

12 Likes

To phrase this another way, probably the best method is to just learn that 水泳 is read as すいえい, 水着 is read as みずぎ, and don’t fret about which is on’yomi and which is kun’yomi.

10 Likes

Wanikani really needs to include this as mandatory reading before you take any kanji lessons. We get so many threads asking this very same question.

3 Likes

We get endless threads about things that are already in the mandatory reading too. That’s always the case everywhere.

7 Likes

I love how my response was briefly marked as the solution before it was changed to the one complaining about WaniKani. :joy:

7 Likes

It depends on the context and the word in which the kanji is used. You’ll understand which reading to use over time and experience, as you encounter more words.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m sorry! I really loved your response, truly! I just was trying stuff out on the site, and didn’t want the question to be closed just yet, in case the site would do that. But I think that I get it for the singular vocab word. As for compound words, I’ll just learn along the way.

1 Like

Ah, don’t worry topics don’t get closed just because they are marked as solved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also liked your addition to seanblue’s post. Thank you both!

2 Likes

Did you like my post?

2 Likes