<span lang="zh">坐吃山空</span>

坐吃山空
坐吃山空 (Japanese for comparison)

<span lang="zh">坐山觀虎斗</span>

坐山觀虎斗
坐山觀虎斗 (Japanese for comparison)

1 Like

Aye, guess so.

Actually, I wrote the middle character of the second one in traditional form because the simplified version doesn’t seem to exist in Japanese. Basically looks like 又 plus a simplified version of 見.

The fifth one also has a traditional form, I wrote it in simplified because that does exist.

I had to get way up in there to see the differences.

2 Likes

Yep, the differences are pretty small on those. I was using 系 to demonstrate the differences the other day:

How are you doing that?
Span lang=“zh”: 車 東
Normal typing: 車 東
Pinyin IME: 车 东

Edit: I guess it won’t switch to the simplified hanzi for you.

If you look a few posts up I included the code you need to use. Copy it and paste it as plain text (Ctrl+Shift+V).

It will just render the same characters in the different language fonts.

I had that part right, I was just (unrealistically) expecting to see the simplified characters until I thought about it.

1 Like

Cool stuff here. I didn’t notice it when it was first posted.

I love these, so I am making a PDF of them for anyone print out and fold into little books. These little projects in LaTeX always take me longer than I anticipate to get perfect, but I expect that I can get it finished in a week or so.
Here is how the pages look so far:
The pagination will be different, with only the odd number page numbered. I like the furigana on the opposing pages. I don’t have a ton a Japanese fonts on my computer, but I chose one with “serifs.”
Currently, I think that the whole book will be folded out of a single sheet of letter paper, but I may make an A4 version too.
Thank you so much for compiling these!

6 Likes

Hey, @Leebo, do you mind if I put a link to the PDF of these that I made of these? You compiled them, so I won’t do it without your permission. Thank you for all of your work to create such an interesting collection of expressions.
Here is the cover:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t mind, I suppose. None of it is my intellectual property.

1 Like

Thanks.
In the end, probably no one else will go through the work of folding and cutting all of the pages and assembling them into a book, so I may not even post the link.
I will post a picture of my finished little book though.

1 Like

Hey Leebo, nice work! 四字熟語 are so interesting! I might start compiling a list of my own, just as I come across the idiomatic ones.

@RoseWagsBlue I would definitely be interested in printing your booklet!

1 Like

I totally would!

2 Likes

Thank you, Leebo!

1 Like

wikipedia is your friend:
from Yojijukugo - Wikipedia

By contrast, several thousands of these four-character compounds are true idioms in the sense that they have a particular meaning that may not be deducted from the literal meanings of the component words. An example of the highly idiomatic compound is:

• 海千山千 umisenyamasen ( umi ocean + sen thousand + yama mountain + sen thousand)

“Ocean-thousand, mountain-thousand” means “a sly old fox” or someone who has had all sorts of experience in life so that s/he can handle, or wiggle out of, any difficult situations through cunning alone. This meaning derives from an old saying that a snake lives in the ocean for a thousand years and in the mountains for another thousand years before it turns into a dragon. Hence a sly, worldly-wise person is referred to as one who has spent “a thousand years in the ocean and another thousand in the mountain”.

3 Likes

Wow, snakes have it tough. All a carp has to do to become a dragon is swim up a waterfall.

3 Likes

Surely would, and would also commit to sharing a photo of the finished product.

2 Likes

I am almost done getting it just right. I will post it in a day or so.
Here is how a sample page looks now:

I decided to use the hiragana and translation on the opposing page, as we are all learning, and this is meant to be a learning tool.

5 Likes

Surely each page needs, like, a photo of a kitten hanging onto a tree branch, or something? :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes