New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

I think it depends. It can be a valid way of learning, there are different advantages and disadvantages to each learning method. WaniKani had the advantage of being a more integrated approach. It teaches you both the kanji and the readings, and then the vocab, so you kinda get it all in one place. Learning the readings of kanji helps with learning the vocab later, but that’s just my opinion. Sure, you can learn with RTK and Anki, I’m sure there are many people who do fine like that. You can try WaniKani for free until level 3 and then decide if it’s for you.

4 Likes

They might be misunderstanding what wanikani does. There are some kanji resources/learning techniques that involve learning every possible reading for a kanji when you first see it, and most people (myself included) find that excessive and unnecessary. For example, even beginners tectbooks like Genki will list all the readings for a kanji as it is introduced, but only the readings used in the vocabulary is actully taught. You aren’t supposed to memorize the readings in isolation.

After taking formal japanese classes with various kanji teaching methods, I think WK does it best: they teach you the on-yomi first, along with vocab to reinforce it, then kun-yomi through later vocab (with exceptions). This is a much more intuitive process than memorizing all the readings in one go, which is likely what your friends thing you’re doing.

7 Likes

Not… really sure this belongs here but I don’t want to make a new thread for it either and this might be the most appropriate place without doing so?

I just got the meaning of ~円 wrong because of putting “amount of money” instead of just “money” - my understanding is that there’s a placeholder for the amount and then the word, just like in ~人.

Am I missing something basic here that makes my understanding of the meaning incorrect?

I’m not even sure why they go with “money” as a meaning. The word 円 as a suffix in this vocab item has one meaning. It is the unit of currency of Japan, which we call “yen” in English.

So I would personally have it be just yen if it was up to me.

3 Likes

Sadly the introductions thread is archived now. But hello everyone. New to the forum as of today. Trying to execute my new member checklist as well as become a member of a 2020 Olympics challenge thread. Would love some motivation and advice to learn as much as possible before going to the Tokyo Olympics :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello hello, welcome!

The checklist doesn’t properly sync anymore, but the message will go away when you hit level 2. ^^

My biggest pieces of advice would be to definitely look through the FAQ and the Community if you haven’t done so already. A lot of advice, and a lot of resources are around. :+1:

For example, there is a thread that collects the level 60 celebration posts of people that worked their way to the end. Many go over their study schedule, their pitfalls and successes, and advice to people starting off. It can be nice to glance around at different techniques that people used.

Otherwise; try not to overwhelm yourself. The first burst of motivation and WK starting off slow means a lot of people put a lot on their plate. As everyone always likes to say; it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Many people have dropped off because they want to dive into everything at once, and in large quantities to boot. Foster a habit that you can commit to seven days a week, and expand that habit in a way that you can sustain while being vigilant of burn-out.

Welcome again, and best of luck!

4 Likes

Thank you very much! Great points and topics for motivation. I’ll check out that thread.

1 Like

Hi! I started learning the kanji and vocabulary, simultaneously writing the new kanji and vocabulary in a big notebook. But I’m not very good at it however. Do you guys write in the radicals as well ? Or just kanji and vocabulary ? Can anyone give me some examples of how to structure my notebook ?
The firts time I wrote this no one replied so now I’m back but this time in italic.

3 Likes

I don’t write down stuff, but you could structure your notebook by giving a page to every kanji, then writing it down a few times, and leaving space for the vocab, so you have everything in the same spot. :slight_smile:

Writing down stuff mostly helps with the writing (surprise), but if you write down the meaning, or example sentences, it could help you out more.

There are a few people who do write down stuff, so let’s hope they see this post. :eyes:

Hi Charlie, I didn’t see your post until just now.

I used to write down everything in a notebook, and now I just write down the kanji on flashcards.

When I did the notebook, I used three different highlighters to colorcode radicals, kanji, and vocab. I just wrote them down in the order that I learned them - I have my lessons ordered “ascending level, then subject”, so things were grouped together fairly well. But to be honest, I never really looked at the notebook in between lessons, so that was one reason that I stopped.

2 Likes

That needs to be a hell of a big notebook then x)

1 Like

I write them like that too but rarely look at them in between lessons, so I feel like it’s losing its purpose.

1 Like

One row for every vocab seems fine. :wink:

If you have the time and enjoy doing it, the writing is probably beneficial for you even if you don’t look at it in between lessons. On the other hand, I don’t feel it’s an essential part of going through Wanikani, so :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

You might want to write it really big once (with the reading and meaning), and then 4 or 5 times at a more regular size… And then some vocab that uses the same reading beneath that? Only you know what’s best.

If you want it to be neat and clean keep it minimal. If you want all the info, write EVERYTHING.

Sometimes I try to write the kanji, especially when making grammar notes, but I typically write it as practice when it’s a kanji I love the meaning of or think is really pretty. I don’t do it for everything, and it’s quite infrequent when I do.

Have fun with it!

EDIT: Even the act of writing it down once does help with your memory - you’re thinking about it while doing something tactile, so your brain is making more connections. If writing things down typically helps you remember things better, writing it once and never looking at it again can still be beneficial.

Guys, have I told you already how awesome @AnimeCanuck is? :eyes::heart:

1 Like

Awww, thank you. But so are you. (If you want me to remove the tag, let me know - or I suppose you could do it, as it’s a wiki.)

1 Like

Hello community chat.

6 Likes

Hey, Matthew! Are you enjoying your time in the community so far?

3 Likes

Hey, Midori!

Really been enjoying my time here so far. I enabled the notifications on my phone :laughing:

2 Likes