Nevermind, Sorry

Talk amongst yourself.

No, you can’t use it with い adjectives. That’s the rule. It’s not that with だ it’s unnecessary. It’s wrong. What Bunpro means to say is that unlike だ (which can only be used with ăȘ adjectives), です can be used with both.

12 Likes

Nevermind. Nevermind.

I don’t get your point - for a start, one is implied by the other anyway, and besides, Bunpro is not a grammar textbook
I think it’s unreasonable to expect this kind of in depth explanation from it.

10 Likes

Most people probably don’t have that much knowledge when starting Bunpro? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

How is it wrong? Where is the supposed confusion?

It says です can be used with adjectives and nominal adjectives, which is correct, unlike だ which is also correct.

I think you’re reading into the explanation things that aren’t there.

Also

It doesn’t need to focus on “You don’t だ because of XYZ” because saying you can’t use だ with adjectives is sufficient and more correct. Saying you don’t need to use だ actually indicates you could if you wanted to whereas can’t use だ is makes it more clear you can’t use だ even if you wanted to use it.

Again you’re wrong because です IS the polite form of the copula だ regardless of what Tae Kim says. Just because its function as the copula is redundant with adjectives doesn’t make it suddenly not the polite form of the copula. It is not as you say a separate beast, it is the polite form of だ.

5 Likes

The only thing that BP says is that だ means “to be/is” and です, which you learn immediately after, means “to be/is”. They are not implying anything and people need to distinguish between those somehow. Those in-depth explanations are probably gonna be too much at the very first grammar point xD

5 Likes

You probably right
 This is just a lengthy problem I have with the whole structure of Japanese learning.

As much as I like and respect Cure Dolly, at the end of the day it does not matter if you remember that “i adjectives” include the copula and です is just a polite decoration or you remember it any other way.

Nothing wrong about the explanation.

3 Likes

The problem with teaching は and が is that both particles are used for quite a few different purposes and so any simple explanation of them will not do them justice.

You’re expecting too much from a tool like Bunpro.

3 Likes

Bunpro shouldn’t explain things because people should already know? A learning too is terrible because it’s explaining things that some people might not yet know?
Are you trying to humble brag about how good you are at Japanese? That Bunpro is beneath you?

2 Likes

Nevermind, bye, y’all win.

I’m expecting too much. I don’t have to be told the same thing 10 times. I get it.

Soo
who likes fruit punch?
tumblr_ncbcs6IFSP1saxwc2o1_250

12 Likes

There’s not enough rum in that punch.

7 Likes

Well
In that case

7 Likes

Mmmm much better!

4 Likes

Closing the thread as requested. Looks like the thread has run its course as well.

4 Likes