Nara vs ba

hey there !
i was following this lessons Japanese Conditional Form ば / なら Sentence - Learn Japanese Online
so the whole courses about conditionnal
of course the differences beetween tara, temo, nara, ba and maybe i forgot some :smiley:
but in this one Japanese Conditional Form ば / なら Sentence - Learn Japanese Online, the first sentence is :
ば (ba) sentence is used for Verb and い-Adjective while なら (nara) sentence is used for な-Adjective and Noun.

And this information I absolutely find it nowhere else… is that true ?

cheers

なら is for nouns (and な adjectives by extension), but it has a verb/adjective equivalent ~たら where the た is the end of the past tense of the verb or adjective.
なら and ~たら generally refers to conditions in the past, though I’ve seen it used in cases where I suspect it was not for past conditions.

I believe ば can be used on nouns by using the verb である since it is the original form of だ. It would become であれば.

but i dont understand i found sooo many sentences using NARA after a verb (without it to be TARA)
for example 旅行りょこうになら 、おみやげをってきてください。

I don’t know enough to determine what the reason for that could be. It doesn’t fit neatly in my mental framework of Japanese. Are you sure it wasn’t like this in the original source?
旅行に なら

Another possibility is that it’s a colloquial expression and it’s not technically grammatically correct.

Of course, there’s also a high possibility that I just don’t understand it well enough.

1 Like

Yes, なら can be used with verbs. Here’s a monolingual thesaurus entry covering the main conditional particles and there are examples with [verb]なら

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.