N2 副詞 help

I’m focusing on 副詞 for a few days. I find them quite difficult but I feel that they carry a lot of subtle meaning that is important to achieving fluency.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how often Japanese people in general use 副詞 like the ones below? Did/do you have trouble with them?

For the most part I feel like my answers are correct but if anyone can check and let me know if there is a mistake I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

1 Like

I don’t have an answer for you about those specific adverbs, but I’ve made a similar observation. For me, adverbs and conjunctions are the hardest part of the language. There are a lot of them, and I find them hard to remember. Just from reading 魔女の宅急便 with the beginner book club, I can tell you that adverbs are definitely used all the time and carry a lot of subtle meaning (which I miss most of the time).

A lot of adverbs are onomatopoeia, so perhaps you’d find this book (Jazz up Your Japanese) to be useful. I’ve only read the introduction, but it seems insightful.

For regular adverbs, you just sort of have to memorize them. For onomatopoeia adverbs which I’ve noticed a lot of these are, I would highly recommend “Jazz up your Japanese” and this Tofugu article. Even if you don’t know the definition of the word, those two items can really help you with understanding the feeling of a word so you might be able to guess with context infinitely easier.

Book Jazzing up Japanese

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.