My thoughts on floflo.moe

“Bunny man”?

Your user name and avatar is a rabbit

Yep I looked at it before and couldn’t figure it out either. Maybe I’ll give it another try when I have a little more time.

Hi,
It looks really interesting but I have no idea how to start. I want to register but all I get is the instructution to join two sites as far as I can see. I hope you can try to adopt the position of a non computer user and make access much easier
Regards,
Buri

Is that like a mobile user or someone who isn’t computer savvy?

After registration there’s literally only four pages on the website. Home, the list of books, the lessons page, and the review page

As a user you access them in that order which is also the order they appear in the top bar.

I’ve been told my site is confusing many times and at this point I need someone to spell out for me how it is because I just don’t understand it

Maybe I can block users from going to lessons or review before they visit the book page? Idk

Well obviously I can’t speak for everyone and it was quite sometime ago when I took a look at it so I can’t remember specifics. But I remember feeling at a loss as to how I was supposed to use it in the sense of what was I supposed to do first. A big part of it is probably me not playing around with it much but, as someone who doesn’t have a lot of free time, if I sit down and it’s not completely obvious what I’m supposed to do then I’m probably not going to invest the time into figuring it out. At least not right away anyway.

In terms of what you could do I would suggest maybe having a little tutorial of sorts when you first log in. For example,

1. Go pick a book.
  2. add vocabulary to your lesson stack
  3. review.
  4. read and enjoy…

(I know that’s probably not how you use it but just giving it ad an example.)

If you made it so users had to literally go through all the steps to figure out how it works I’m sure it would be fine.

Your site is clearly very useful to those people who’ve taken the time to figure it out but some people like me need a bit of hand holding to get us on our way. Whether you think that’s a good or bad thing is irrelevant. It’s just a fact that some people are like that.

Note: I also appreciate it’s probably not that easy to implement the tutorial idea in terms of website coding. But I do think it would definitely help.

Hope that helps and thanks for creating such a good service that so many people are advocating it’s use. Maybe when I have a little more time I’ll become one of them :slight_smile:

1 Like

But… it’s literally there though?
As far as I remember, there a link on the top page that reads “Three steps to reading – getting started”.
It sends you to a tutorial on how to use FloFlo.
https://floflo.moe/how-to-use-floflo/
Checking it out right now, I can see it has a number of issues (it’s not obvious that it is a tutorial from the title of the link on the main page, the information is actually outdated, and it has four steps instead of three) but it’s in the “close enough” category, I would say :thinking:

At the same time, I am biased since I’ve been using FloFlo for a long time…

2 Likes

Don’t wory I’m a CompSci student focusing on interface design and couldn’t figure it out at first :smiley:

Use your education to tell me what I need to change

I’m trying to think of a solution more elegant than locking the screen on first use and bringing up a prompt that says “hey do this”

Especially since it can be missed by accident, leaving the user in an even more confused state with no way to go back.

One thing I would suggest:
Make this link ( Three Steps to Reading – Getting Started) a different background color on the main page, and title it “FloFlo tutorial – Getting Started” or something.
(Then update the content)

Something else:
I just checked, and upon login, you get redirected to “My account”, a page I never visit (and don’t even know how to access).
That would be a good place to replace the current message

From your account dashboard you can view your recent orders, manage your shipping and billing addresses, and edit your password and account details.

with a link to the same tutorial thing.

3 Likes

Hi,

I think the words computer retard are probably taboo so I claim to be computer challenged as a result of ageing

I think your idea is great. However, it needs, I think, a clear sign saying -register.- We click on that and get the usual name, password boxes. I have no idea what the two sites are that come up. Then a page that explains what you have to do in clear steps. There may be one of the latter but I couldn’t even get that far.

I think there are two things to bear in mind with a site. One, imagine a new computer user wants to click one button at a time to get from point a to point b and then point c. No searching for anything. Two, someone like me can actually find my way around reasonably well but I’m slow. And I dont have the luxury of any free time at all. So if your site seems to work well for you who designed it and knows that with a little effort -its perfectly straightforward-, that isn’t going to work for time challenged people. We have to stop due to external forces.

Warmest REgards,

Buri

iPadから送信

2 Likes

Actually thats exactly how you use it lol.

People are saying that they dont know how to use it, but I take it that means they dont know how to add words? Or do they not know how to find the books?

I don’t remember having any issues with this either so im curious what the problem is.

to be fair, there will always be people who dont read the guides and all that and then say its confusing or doesnt make sense. Even for WK, there are plenty of people like that. Not saying you shouldnt make improvements if you can, but yeah.

3 Likes

I’ve never really had any problems getting around FloFlo myself, and I actually found the site to be easier to navigate than some other SRS systems.

I have had problems with being motivated enough to do my reviews, though…

5 Likes

While I personally haven’t had any problems with using the website itself, I have to admit that the new login screen with three different sign in options confused me a bit the first time I saw it(though I personally just tried all three and found out that the “username and password” option was the only one that didn’t just loop me back to the first page without actually signing me in)

2 Likes

yeah that one took me two tries to get the right option, so I would say that the regular login and password should be the default probably with the wordpress and patreon being side options?

5 Likes

I agree that one problem with the tutorial is that it’s actually on the same hierarchy as the blog posts and also categorized as ‘misc’. Somehow it needs to stand out. The wording also isn’t that clear, for me it gives off vibes of ‘how to improve your floflo usage’ and not ‘I’m a new user how do I use this site’. I assume it’s a pinned blog post?

There is also a ‘Usage guide’ link on the side which apparently links to the same thing? Feels a bit redundant to have both. Personally I would maybe make the side link more visible because for regular users having a pinned blog post take so much space for a thing they already know about is a bit frustrating.

EDIT: Most of my problems were back in the day with the alchemizer confusing the heck out of me where I had no idea what those combined lists were and that was the first thing it gave me when I opened a book.

P.S ‘Select all’-button when for lessons? :smiley:

3 Likes

Okay so here’s what I’ve done so far:

• Made a basic implementation of the different color on the stickied How to Use page. @Naphthalene (There’s an annoying flicker but w/e will fix later)
  • Updated the How to Use page
  • Removed Patreon/Wordpress.com login options (so there’s one option now) @Ditto20 @BuriBuri
  • Changed stickied post from misc → notice (I’m not sure if that’s much better tbh) @morteasd

Click & drag friendo

You get like half as many reviews now as opposed to how it was like a month ago but yeah. Studying is hard

6 Likes

It looks okay on my phone. :+1:

By the way, this is the wrong thread to talk about bugs, but since I’m here, I’ve got a bug when I try to access the alchemizer.
Floflo says it requests me to prove that I am a patron. Fine, we go to Patreon. I log in. Patreon informs me that Floflo wants to access some of my info. No pb. But then I’m back to the previous page asking for me to connect to Patreon. :thinking:
I’m wondering if it’s linked to the email address? I didn’t register with the same address on Floflo and Patreon.

I also had that same problem a while ago, and I have the same email on both

It just started working on its own when I tried it again later for me though

1 Like

I got it to work on my computer, which granted me permission across the board, so now I can use the alchemizer on my phone too. :woman_shrugging:
I guess this more related to iOS doing weird things, and less to FloFlo.