My Japanese Daily Study Log

It is with great shame that i make this post. If i could do the GOT walk of shame with bells and everything i would. I recently almost reached Lvl 10 for… the second time… Thats the problem when i get into a routine eventually my laziness kicks in and i give in and i take a day break and a day turns into two, and two into three and my reviews build up… and i keep saying tomorrow i will catch up, and tomorrow comes and i say whats one more day? Next thing i know i’m 2 months behind and can barely remember anything and im forced to look at a mountain of reviews that i cant remember anything about and the only solution i see is to start from zero once again. See the picture? i can be a serial procrastinator and with nothing to hold me accountable i know it’ll more than likely happen again. The only solution i see besides whipping myself (hopefully it never comes to that) is to make a public daily log to hold my feet to the fire. Its a real shame it hand to come to this since i really do enjoy studying. But better late than never and hopefully third times the charm!

4/19/2020
Today i made my Post Of Shame and reset all my WaniKani stats and my KaniWani stats to start fresh. I completed my 26 Radical lessons and have 2 hours before my next review.

21 Likes

がんばれ!

1 Like

If you want a little more accountability / a cheering squad, add your log to the Master List.

Kouichi wrote somewhere about the importance of routine, so that it becomes something that you just do, like brushing your teeth, and to that end some of us (Rowena, Eearslya, Rawrdinosaur, BigEm, Frayderike to name a few; links in Master List OP) have found having a weekly plan with daily / weekly checklists really helpful.

3 Likes

Just added it to the list, not exactly a cheering squad more like a firing squad. Thank you

5 Likes

:gun: squirt!

2 Likes

04/20/2020
Not much done today, Just did my reviews, nothing much to report

2 Likes

04/21/2020
Just completed Guruing the first set of radicals for the third time and unlocked 15 kanji and did the lessons and waiting for the first set of reviews.

3 Likes

04/22/2020
Unlocked 5 kanji today, did the reviews, a late update to my daily log. nothing to report really, just need to grind back up to where i was.

2 Likes

04/23/2020
Did my reviews and unlocked 25 vocab lessons and completed them and im currently waiting for my reviews to start coming in.

2 Likes

04/24/2020 12:12 AM technically not the 24th but im gonna mark it as the 24th since i don’t want to miss a day and and its really close and still feels like the 24th so this one is gonna be a gimme. Cool?

Another late session for me, very busy day, if it wasn’t for this log i would’ve left it for tomorrow and we all know how that goes, should’ve done my reviews quicker, need to start getting on top of them as soon as they become available, other than that did my reviews unlocked a couple items should be done with level 1 tomorrow morning.

3 Likes

04/25/2020 1:44 am on 04/26/2020 another late update, cant be doing this. need to stop this habit of doing everything at the end of the day, its not good and not efficient. its just so hard to find the time to do my WaniKani during the day if im busy. I’m gonna try something new tomorrow.

As for what i actually did today, i leveled up this morning and unlocked 50 lessons that i put off until just like 30 mins ago, not a good practice, i did 34 of them which was all the radicals and one vocab. will be doing the rest when i wake up. and i did my reviews about 30 minutes ago as well. not good. this log is working out so i at least get some work in but im not being able to whip myself to really put in the grind, i feel like im just doing the bare minimum.i know its better than nothing which is what it was before but this is still not acceptable. i need to figure this out. i got the showing up part fixed. i think… just need to work on doing the work.

2 Likes

Do you think maybe you’re expecting too much of yourself, or overwhelming yourself with too big a workload?

I’ve reset twice as well, both times from low levels, but I’ve found so far this time that it’s a lot easier when I just do only as much as I feel like doing. I keep my apprentice around 50 and my reviews at 0. Other than that, I work on stuff outside WK for extra exposure and enjoyment.

This may all be redundant for you, but it certainly helped me to keep a realistic workload on WK. It’s so much easier to knock out reviews when you only have to do like 20-30 at a time. At this point it feels so much different than the last two times. It feels very achievable and realistic to make it to 60.

3 Likes

it just feels so slow, ive done the math and if i take it easy i could easily be looking at 4 years or more to complete, to be fair ive been on wanikani for exactly one year today and going slow would’ve been better than what i was doing but if i can get myself on track i can still make good time for completing wanikani in the next 2 years.

Don’t get me wrong its not a race but not trying to go at a snails pace here either. Im not sure what is best but iv’e learned at least one thing and that is falling behind and procrastinating are death sentences in WaniKani. This go around i refuse to let either happen. now how long it takes me to finish is a whole another story. Im trying to catch up to where i was but after that i do 20 lessons a day and was very happy with that pace. I just need to do better on my reviews. didn’t figure out that part yet.

3 Likes

04/26/2020 3:08 am 04/27/2020

another late session. Nothing major to report, did my lessons and did my reviews. Thank god i have this daily journal or else id be screwed. lets see if i can start making more entries in here.

To anybody that actually reads this is it too much if i update every time i do anything in WaniKani?

4 Likes

My attitude is, “It’s my log, I can do what I like” so I’d say go for it!

4 Likes

i was just thinking about what if its considered spamming if i update it every time i do anything. The mods might have an issue with it.

2 Likes

04/27/2020 1:19 AM 04/28/2020 Yes another late installment

Not much done today, just did a measly 50 reviews and most were radicals and it took me forever to get too it. no lessons avail.

2 Likes

Many folks with study logs are posting regularly, and I haven’t seen any negative comments from mods.

If you are able to map out your goals for the day, you could post those goals with check boxes beside them and simply come back and edit the post as you accomplish each goal rather than making multiple posts per day.

2 Likes

Most people won’t even know you’re updating often if they don’t have your thread set to Tracking or Watching. If they’re bothered, they can always Mute that thread. So, unless there’s an actual complaint, I wouldn’t worry much about it.

There’s a good chance that they way you use your study log will reshape and reform over time as you zero in on what you want to use it for, and what you want to get out of it.

5 Likes

04/28/2020 6:59 AM 04/29/2020 Make no mistake, this is not me being early, this is me being incredibly late.

Did my reviews, no lessons unlocked. i actually move pretty fast through my reviews but actually starting them seem to be the hardest problem. I am going to try the alarm method. I will report back if it’s a success or not. I feel it will be thou. I have faith.

3 Likes