My Extremely Short Level 60 Post!

Hello,

I haven’t really used the community center much.

I just wanted to make this post to say:
To everyone out there studying Japanese, you are amazing! The journey towards fluency is a long one, made up of countless tiny steps that you take each and every day.
I was once a high school student with dreams of watching anime without subtitles, reading manga at a comfortable pace, and perhaps even living in Japan one day.

Years later, here I am in Japan living out the dreams that I once thought were so far away and impossible.

You can do it! Believe in yourself!

Wanikani has been such an amazing tool, and I am ready to take the next step in my life towards becoming a translator/interpreter here in Japan.

May all your Japanese goals come to fruition!

96 Likes

Congrats! On achieving level 60, and also for achieving your goals and getting closer to achieving more, that’s awesome!

11 Likes

Congrats on making it to lv 60! Plz have some cake! :birthday: :tada:

W85Y

12 Likes

Congratulationsでございます!

May your stay in Japan be long and prosperous! :smiley:
Many パチンコ successes!

And here is a little something something, ご主人様:

7 Likes

May I ask how many years you’ve been studying and how old you were when moving to Japan?
I too have the dream to live there someday, that’s why I’m always interested in how old people were when they’ve immigrated.

2 Likes

Hello!

I have been studying for about 6 years now.
I did not start seriously studying until December 2015. At that time, I was 20 years old.
I moved to Japan 2 years ago when I was 24 years old, a little bit later that some other foreigners who come to work here, but my Japanese was much better than my peers.

In most cases, if you want to come work in Japan, you need at the very least a college degree. The field is irrelevant. If you want to live here as a student, that is entirely possible as well, however I am not too sure as to which options are available for your particular position.

I hope you are able to come here one day! Japan is an absolutely amazing country, and my time here has been a blessing. Truly an unforgettable experience!

4 Likes

Sorry to ask, but what steps are these?

1 Like

Up to now, I haven’t needed N1/2 certification, but I plan on changing jobs next year so I’ll need that first!
Next is preparing to move to a bigger city, ideally Kyoto.
I haven’t used much keigo in my daily life, so I’ll probably have to brush up on that as well.
I’ll have to create an ideal resume for the job too, so I have to create one.

Things like that!

7 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

Congratulations!!! We are all so proud of you as you will one day be proud of us!!

would you be able to recommend how you developed your japanese outside of WaniKani prior to moving? I lived in japan from 18-20 but I never knew japanese and its only since moving home did I commit (about 6 months ago) i’m level 7 now and would love to hear some of your wisdom!!

thank u and congrats!!! <3

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Before I came to Japan, I wanted to have a solid understanding of Japanese grammar, even if my vocabulary wasn’t the best.

Actually, I more or less studied the entirety of Japanese grammar before even starting WaniKani. That’s why I didn’t really encounter that many new kanji until I was around level 40. I can’t attest that any particular way of studying is better than another, but it seems that many people start WaniKani before studying grammar, or some simultaneous hybrid.

I used TaeKim’s guide for the purpose of self studying grammar, and I have been lucky enough to always have a circle of Japanese friends/Japanese host family to help me understand something that was difficult. While I was studying grammar, I made a point to create flashcards for every single new kanji character I would come across, and I would routinely review them in my spare time.

Once I came to Japan, all that studying was finally reinforced by being surrounded by Japanese every day that it eventually became second nature.

2 Likes

Congratulations!! Feeling very inspired rn :relaxed::clap:t2:

1 Like

Congrats @trejoj1 san :dizzy: :boom:

surprised-unsurprised

1 Like

Hey, I saw your other posts and saw that you recommend Tae Kim for grammar. That’s good, since I’m trying to do the same. My problem is that it doesn’t stick. I’m going over Tae Kim when I have time and trying to get all the grammar points but it is still hard to remember them, and I find it impossible to fully understand any japanese phrase that I see.
How did you manage this? What sorts of texts can I use at the beginning that are digestible to practice conjugation and grammar rules? What was your process in general?
To me, this is very frustratng. I have no problems with vocabulary and kanji, and I’m trying to go at maximum pace, but I dread grammar and until I get it down I won’t be able to use the Japanese vocab that I’m developing.

1 Like

Hmmm Tae Kim has 2 guides. The beginner’s guide and the complete guide. I did both of them. I sat down daily for about 2 hours each day. I hand wrote each and every word in each lesson/chapter because doing so allows me to commit something to memory.

I am sorry, I can’t really offer any advice or tricks that will allow something to stick to your personal memory. For me, it just did after writing it all down.

However, I will say that although Tae Kim’s guide is rather text heavy and boring, it does a good job at presenting grammar points in a systematic way that builds up gradually. Every time you go over a new lesson/grammar point, you should make sure that you are very comfortable with it before moving on. Every time you come across that grammar point from then on, you should be able to process it comfortably until it becomes second nature.

Honestly, until you get up to the advanced levels of grammar, most of the time you will have to pause when reading a passage because there will be grammar that you don’t know. But that’s ok! The important thing is that when that happens you take note of what you should be able to understand, and what you shouldn’t be able to understand. Take this following text as an example:

食べた
公園で食べた
お姉さんにもらったリンゴを公園で食べた
眩しい日にお姉さんにもらった新鮮なリンゴを食べながら、複雑な本を読んでみました

Can you read all of that comfortably?
If not, it is important to take note of which parts are difficult and to understand if it is simply grammar/vocab that you haven’t learned yet, or if there is something you need to review.

Best of luck!

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I plan on restarting Tae Kim’s guide when I find the time to do it comfortably. When I do, I will try to follow your advise and spend more time with the lessons and deconstructing sentences.