My BURNing anxiety

Anyone else have a moment of absolute anxiety whenever a Burn item comes up? I’ve just started to get them, and although they’re ones i definitely know and i’ve not got any wrong so far, there’s a big moment of staring at them and, ‘Don’t screw this up!’ floods my head.

I just had 七 come up and suddenly was thinking, ‘Oh god, it’s been so long. Was it しち or なな it wants in this context?’

Saying that, it’s a big relief when i get them right. I’m dreading the first one i get wrong though…

10 Likes

It’s really not a big deal…if they’re stressing you out that much it may be worth failing a few on purpose, just to prove it to yourself :upside_down_face:

Edit: I think at this point I don’t even realise which ones are burn reviews…

7 Likes

I worry that if I’m not sure, I’ll get it right and never see it again!

8 Likes

I’m stressing more about items I burning but feel I fill definitely forget and just got lucky this time.

1 Like

you cannot screw up. stages do not mean nothing. levels mean nothing. just feel the moment and have fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, had the same. It goes away after a few levels.
Before that you’ll spew some expletives when you get the first vocab, kanji and radical wrong, you’ll have some weird moments where you don’t know why something is read a certain way, but you simply must type that reading because… well who knows? (and it turns out to be correct - or maybe not). There’s stuff you won’t remember even though you think you should have, stuff you do remember that you didn’t think was possible… all the goodness basically. Enjoy before it becomes just another review item.

3 Likes

Yeah. I just got one right because I failed a vocab a few minutes earlier in the session which reminded me of the reading. When the kanji came up, I was like, oh well, I’ll just get it right even though I didn’t remember it. No big deal.

Burned. :fire:

Oops. Guess I’ll never learn that now.

1 Like

You will though, because you’ll eventually have to burn all the vocab that contains the kanji, and by then it’ll be ingrained.

I used to stress a bit about missing burns, or burning things I wasn’t really 100% on, but that’s gone away now. The thing that did it for me was realising that even when I get to level 60, there’ll be leeches that I never squashed, stuff I can’t remember and burns that shouldn’t really have got through - but I’m not trying to “win” WK, I’m trying to learn to read. WK helps with that, but it’s not the solution - reading is the solution. There will be things I can’t remember when I read, but that’s what dictionaries are for.

1 Like

That’s basically the reason I turned off the level indication on Tsurukame. I’m much more comfortable not knowing when something comes up for burn. I’m ok with not knowing whether it was an Enlightened review or a Burn review, and that makes the little Burn notification a nice surprise.

1 Like

What do you mean? For every 10k mistakes, you lose a finger - obviously. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Don’t worry, after you fail to burn something for the 4th time, you start to lose that anxiety.

And it gets replaced with an even deeper sense of failure as a Japanese learner :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

This is sage advice :joy_cat:

3 Likes

This! There have been too many times where I’ve gotten a lucky guess and burned an item… I always feel a little guilty about those. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I used to care but this journey is for me and only me. Being lifetime, I just go at my own place. Every once and a while I do 50 burned items and if I get them wrong, I bring em back. So does matter any more.

2 Likes

But MangaSensei says: “It takes ten thousand mistakes to become fluent” so is losing a finger the goal?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.