Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Two I learned recently-ish that I remember:
俺っち - Yet another first person pronoun(though it can also be used for us/we)

味噌(みそ)っかす

2 Likes

Most recent word I’ve come across is かりん糖 (かりんとう). Turns out this is a fried dough snack! Looks pretty rustic, but yum, from the pics google game me! :yum:

1 Like

天かす is another neat one that uses 滓 with something else. I never learned why 味噌っかす uses a っ doe, and its like the only one that does.

While I’m here, 籌 is one I came across today. If you know the meaning, the reading is pretty easy to guess. Likewise if you see the reading because of furigana, the meaning will be pretty easy to guess.

2 Likes

研究者「けんきゅうしゃ」 - scientist, researcher

青春 せいしゅん adolescence, youth - this seems an odd omission by WK given that this word is in every other anime set in schools. I still don’t understand why WK sometimes only teaches the kun yomi for kanji where the on yomi is used in everyday words.

2 Likes

Yeah, the omission is particularly odd considering there’s no other vocab word covering the しゅん reading for 春…

2 Likes

@Mods I think you should consider adding this

4 Likes

Working at a middle school in Japan, can confirm this is a real illness XD

4 Likes

How about 中二病?

ささくれる - to split finely, to get frayed, to become irritable

You can say 指がささくれる to describe when you get little frayed areas around your finger nails.

It has no applicable kanji as far as I can tell.

3 Likes

Confirming existence as I was once one. When I moved on, it felt like my childhood ended.

1 Like

Not really a word, but I appreciate how similar and different the phrasing of

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

and

この作品(さくひん)はフィクションです。実在(じつざい)人物(じんぶつ)団体(だんたい)事件(じけん)などには、いっさい関係(かんけい)ありません。

are.

I also find it hilarious that it’s at the beginning of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, which is known for having a lot of musical references. Like Dio and REO Speedwagon.

We’ll take a look at it :+1:

4 Likes

If there is a 大名「だいみょう」, there must also be a…
小名「しょうみょう」 - minor feudal lord

Apparently, 中名 is not a thing, though :frowning:

1 Like

Interesting. I just came across 逆 on level 28 and discovered it is used in 逆剥け (hangnail - Jisho.org).

2 Likes

Not so much a word, but a phrase from the PS4 game “Ghost of Tsushima”:
「すぐに、忘れ去られるであろうよ。」

“You will soon be forgotten”. - Khotun Khan, as he kills me for the 1,937th time on Lethal+ difficulty.

Most of the phrases that I’ve picked up from this game have been the ones spoken by characters as they kill me. :grinning:

Edit: spelling

2 Likes

取るに足らない - of little importance, trivial, worthless (literally: not good enough to take)

2 Likes

耳を澄ます - to listen carefully; to strain one’s ears

2 Likes

Been getting back to WaniKani after a pretty long slump, and I’ve come across some pretty neat words in the example sentences:

• パンツ一丁・パンツいっちょうwearing only underwear; in one’s undies

• 息を呑む or 息を飲む・いきをのむto catch one’s breath; to gasp; to gulp; to have one’s breath taken away
    Can be used with よう or ほど to suggest the idea of “breathtaking”.

• 心に響く・こころにひびくto resonate with one emotionally; to strike a chord in one’s heart

• 汲み取る・くみとるto understand (emotions, implications, etc.); to grasp (汲 is often spelled using hiragana)
    Examples:
    含意を汲み取る・がんいをくみとるglean what is implied
    趣旨を汲み取る ・しゅしをくみとるunderstand the meaning; read between the lines
    話から教訓を汲み取る・はなしからきょうくんをくみとるdraw a moral from a story
    人の感情を汲み取る・ひとのかんじょうをくみとるunderstand a person’s feelings; see from another person’s point of view

5 Likes

細かい I learnt this from WK recently as “detailed”. I just really like the sound of the word.

3 Likes