Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

After finally getting around to watching (and playing) Steins;Gate recently, I learned the word
中二病

Since then…I’ve been seeing it pop up in so many anime and manga! Which makes sense now I think about it…

6 Likes

自信 - confidence
I vaguely remember it from a song by ナイトメア, but found it in a textbook yesterday

2 Likes

Just learned it today in lvl15 :+1: :joy:

Nice! I guess 信じる and 信じられる are on that level as well, right?

Today’s word is 返事「へんじ」- reply

1 Like

信じる Yes; 信じられる No… But 返事 is also in lvl15😉

2 Likes

喉仏 Can I tell you about our lord and savior Throat Buddha?

5 Likes

Was looking for
人形「にんぎょう」 to double-check 形 and found
人魚「にんぎょ」 - mermaid

Careful what you ask for, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT:
Don’t like double-posting so…
一番風呂「いちばんふろ」 is great on a cold day, but not as good as 一番茶「いちばんちゃ」

一番風呂 - first bath, just after pouring water
一番茶 - first-flush/grade tea

3 Likes

Presumably related to the fact that in a family, they will all use the same bath water and not empty/refill it a bunch of times, so I assume there’s gonna be a temperature difference by the later folks.

3 Likes

信じられる is just the passive form of 信じる. Off the top of my head I can only think of one item where WK also taught the passive: 呼ばれる.

3 Likes

信じられる is also the potential form of 信じる, which I think is a much more common usage, especially in 「信じられない!」= ‘I can’t believe it!’ It can also be used as a modifier that means ‘unbelievable’.

3 Likes

運動「うんどう」- exercise, workout

1 Like

正義の名において - In the name of justice! :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

スメハラ - Shortened form of “Smell Harassment,” aka you’re uncomfortable because of a smell, like a food or person that stinks.
I choose to refer to this as Scentsual Harassment from now on.

6 Likes

@Whologist

This is off-topic and quite random, please forgive me for that. But WaniKani doesn’t seem to allow for private messages.

I found your old thread from 2018, where you asked for good listening practices (thread is closed now unfortunately). You said you learned Japanese by yourself and as a consequence have poor listening skills. I’m in the exact same situation right now and seeing how it’s been over 2 years, I would like to know if any of the ressources posted in that thread were helpful to you. How did you end up improving your listening? :slight_smile:

Once again, sorry for the randomness and off-topic-ness. :pray:

1 Like

No worries :smiley: :heart:
My listening skills have improved g r e a t l y.
Honestly this is cliche and feels like bad advice, but the best way is practice.
I found his site the most useful: https://japanesetest4you.com/category/jlpt-n5/jlpt-n5-listening-test/

In the beginning I tried to stick to doing this stuff:
Keeping audio on in Wanikani so I would get used to pitch accents and recognizing words by ear
Watching a lot of anime and trying to watch as much as possible without looking at subtitles (I sometimes watch things I’ve already seen so I know the context and can focus on trying to see what I can pick up)
Using the website I showed and following along to the audio with the script
Playing a lot of Japanese games with voice acting
Watching a looooot and I mean a lot of Japanese youtube. Either music, gaming channels, cooking channels, really anything. (My favourite is probably Mafumafu and キヨ)
Oh and audiobooks \o/ Even if I couldn’t pick everything up, even understanding a little helped my confidence + got me practice.

Honestly, I never thought I’d get better. But as my Japanese improved everywhere else, my listening naturally got better as well :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: So as long as you don’t neglect it I think you should be good. I can even watch anime/shows without subtitles now so I’ve improved much :smiling_imp:

Sorry if that’s a lot of rambling and not much help. I can promise there’s light at the end of the tunnel tho :pray: Good luck!

Oh and to make this relevant to the post:
パンの耳 - Bread crust. (Lit. Bread’s ears, adorable :pleading_face: )

8 Likes

@Whologist
Thank you, that was quite interesting.
I’ve used gaming (Dragonquest, Sekiro) and anime (Shirokuma Café) as well of course. But I find that passive listening like this is overall not super helpful, at least not at an early level.
But I’ll keep in mind what you said and have a look at that site.
Your help is very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Oh, and also back to topic:
I learned that you can also use ころも (衣)to describe a crust, e.g. the crust of a Tonkatsu.

2 Likes

しろくまカフェ is the best :smiley: .

Word for today:
平安京「へいあんきょう」- old Kyoto, Kyoto from the Heian period (literally: “capital of tranquility”)

2 Likes

It’s really good advice. It just happens to be the one nobody really wants to hear. :wink:

On-topic:
潜在意識 subconscious

From the example sentence for 顕在 and one of the better ones on WK.

1 Like

寝耳に水 - a complete shock out of nowhere

… yeah that’d do it!

2 Likes

2 Likes