Most common reading for 不孝者

Anyone know the most common reading for 不孝者? WK gives it as ふこうもの, but this would be an uncommon pairing of the 訓読み for 者 with an 音読み word. Goo.ne.jp gives the reading as ふこうしゃ, which is what I was expecting. Either way, it seems like a very rare word–I don’t know why it was included in the vocab list at all.

3 Likes

For reference, I don’t think the pairing of an on-yomi word plus 者[もの] is uncommon. For example, 邪魔者, 卑怯者, 人気者, 臆病者, 正直者, and others describing a character trait of a person.

I also can’t find any other source giving the reading as ふこうしゃ, but some that list ふこうもの

不孝者 | 読み方は? (no idea how trustworthy this site is)
不孝者の意味 - 中国語辞書 - Weblio日中中日辞典
不孝者(落語散歩561) (the link says “hukoumono”. This is the title of a play, so it might not be a good reference)

6 Likes

Bit strange the entry on Goo. All other entries I found confirm the reading 不孝者 pronunciation: How to pronounce 不孝者 in Japanese

Yes it’s a rare word. Yes it’s a strange reading combination. So I feel like it’s still a good fit for Wanikani. Enforces all the Kanji it is made up of.

4 Likes

FWIW, 親孝行 (filial piety) was a keyword in a podcast episode (JapanesePod101) I was listening to the other day. Two native speakers (Yoshi, Natsuko) were talking about お墓参り in relation to お盆 and how 親孝行 is not a commonly used expression as it was in the past, one said:

Yoshi: 私は、とても親不孝者です。
(私は、とてもおやふこうものです)

Natsuko: あ、がっかり。

6 Likes