"Maths in Japanese" (Math and CS book club)

He definitely speaks fast. No shame in slowing it down.

1 Like

Ooh those quizzes are really cool, thanks for creating them! I probably won’t be able to start reading along for another two weeks but I’m really looking forward to finally being able to read equations in Japanese instead of just switching to English :sweat_smile:

1 Like

One notation that is also used is having a bar on top of the repeated decimal.

I’m planning to catch up later with this thread when I’m back home properly.

1 Like

3 Likes

Well spotted. Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it.

Absolutely agree. I hit the pause button more than once to actually “read along”.

The speed itself might be considered normal speed but the content is quite dense, I think. So there is a lot of terms to process within seconds. I’m still amazed how much vocab he manages to fit into those few minutes :slight_smile:

Nice.

So here comes the advanced version :innocent:

7.2 素数を選んでください。

0 voters

I’m wondering if @RoseWagsBlue senpai would be interested in this one as well :thinking:

3 Likes

I think the speed is fairly quick. If I compare it to my workplace, usually people only speak that fast in meetings or on the phone. Otherwise, people speak much slower unless they’re injecting in conversation.

1 Like

I’ve only watched the first two video so far, but I’m pleasantly surprised by how much I already knew from WK and my Japanese friends. I had to repeat a couple of sections, but it was otherwise good. I think I’ll probably rewatch them later anyway though to check my retention.

2 Likes

The advanced quiz was very fun: the last two were really easy to eliminate, and luckily I didn’t have to try too many 素数 ending in 1, 3 or 7 before finding that the second one is divisible by by 47.

1 Like

I liked the videos very much. There were a couple of sections I didn’t bother to understand in detail. The section on コンマ I only got the gist of. I think it says the comma is only used for microseconds, and you can leave off the 0 before the 点。 He talked for a while, though, so I’m pretty sure I missed something.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the first couple of “Math in Japanese” videos.

You may have seen it already but I want to mention the recent discussion on basic arithmetic terms in Japanese. There is some more resources linked to make out the nuances on terms like 加法 and 加算 and others. Feel free to check it out.

And for those who are interested I’ll leave some links on the

Mathematical background on week ones' Q7.2

The question is taken from an example on some research on so called “digitally delicate prime numbers”. The paper is published on arxiv:

Quanta magazine also wrote an article about it:

EDIT: and here is a link to a YouTube video going through the paper shared in the home thread:

EDIT END

Yeah,I did not really catch that one either. At least at some point I went over it instead of really looking into the structure :see_no_evil: But if you come across sentences or topics you’d like to make sure about always feel free to ask about it in here.

Glad to read that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So far I’ve collected over 100 math words to study in the near future (though I’ve memorized probably half of them already just from reading a bunch of Japanese math Wikipedia pages the last handful of days!). So far I’ve mostly focused on arithmetic and geometry. I do plan to watch the rest of these YouTube videos to learn some more and gather more words too.

4 Likes

Welcome to week three :slight_smile:

I’m super curious how the first WP article of this book club went for you. Who did read the full article? Who did read parts of did? What did you learn from it? What maybe surprised you?

Let’s start with the weekly participation poll though:

Week 3 ~ Are you reading with us?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’ll skip this one
  • I’ve dropped it completely
  • Nope, only here for polling :upside_down:

0 voters

How did the reading about Natural Numbers go?

• I’ve read the full article and pace works fine for me
  • I’ve read the full article but will only read parts for the upcoming WP articles
  • I’ve read parts of the article and pace works fine for me
  • I’ve read parts of the article but will aim for the full one next time
  • I’ve read parts of the article but will aim for little bit less next time
  • Just here for polling :upside_down:

0 voters

Apart from that I managed to durtle around in the forums for the last 2~3 hours :see_no_evil: So quizzes will probably have to wait until later / tomorrow. But feel free to share your thoughts and questions.

2 Likes

The videos were definitely more fun. I mostly read the introduction and first section about notation, but that left me feeling pretty wiped out. The visuals that go with the video help me feel so much more like I know what’s going on!

1 Like

I’ve read the intro and the first two sections (just now so a bit late on schedule). It’s definitely heavy reading but the history section (自然数の歴史と零の地位) was decently interesting.

3 Likes

I skimmed the article. I understood most of what I read, with the occasional lookup or opening a link to a another referenced Wikipedia page. I read the general explanation and the parts explaining the suc function with addition and multiplication, but I didn’t bother reading the section about set theory.

I also looked at the related topics that it gave brief overviews of, and then read a bit on the referenced topic 完全数 - Wikipedia, which I don’t think I’d ever heard of before.

1 Like

I had figured it that 負 (ふ) means negative(-) a while ago, but I just finally figured out that 正 (せい)means positive(+)

1 Like

What do you think about making the vocabulary list collapsible?
Like this:

Various terms

Various terms

Various terms

などなど

1 Like

Thanks for sharing everyone.

I agree, the article is way more formal than the videos. It reminded me back to my first calculus lecture at university.

I also looked a little bit into that one. Not sure if I’ve heard about them before but definitely did not remember about them.

Think it is a nice idea. To me it already feels a little bit overwhelming seeing the full vocab list :slight_smile:

Do you know if the list will still be searchable if it is collapsed? On the other hand, people might look up an unknown term in a dictionary first anyway and then they will know which part to expand if they want to. What do others think? … and do you mind to take care of it? :blush:

1 Like

And here is my attempt for some more quizzes. Have fun :slight_smile:

Q8 (Introduction) ~ 正しいものを選んでください。

• 整数は自然数に含まれる
  • 有理数は整数に含まれる
  • 有理数は実数に含まれる
  • 実数は自然数に含まれる

0 voters

Q9 (記法) ~ 正しいものを選んでください。

• 自然数は0 を含む
  • 正の整数は0 を含む
  • N_0 は0 を含む
  • N _+ は0 を含まない

0 voters

^ Not sure how to include latex code into polls… N_0 is supposed to be {\mathbb {N}}_{0} and N _+ is supposed to be {\mathbb {N}}_{+}.

Q10 (自然数の公理) ~ 正しいものを選んでください。

• 空集合を 0 と定義する
  • 自然数全体を公理化したものは「ペアノの公理」という
  • 異なる自然数は異なる後者を持つ
  • suc(a) は a + 0 の “意味”

0 voters

Q11 (自然数の法則) ~ 任意の自然数 a, b, c に対して 正しいものを選んでください。

• (a + b) + c = a + (b + c)は「結合法則」という
  • a × b) × c = a × (b × c)は「交換法則」という
  • a × (b + c) = (a × b) + (a × c)は「分配法則」という
  • a ≤ b ならば a + c ≤ b + c と bc ≤ ac

0 voters

Again, please don’t be shy and point out any mistakes :sweat_smile:

Feel free to discuss the quiz in here but maybe use spoiler tags or

Spoiler alert

hide tags

so others will be warned.

That’s the one I skipped so far. If you like, feel free to add a quiz about it though :slight_smile:

Oh, and do you know if I can edit polls after they’ve been published? I’d like to edit in you correction for the Q2 in our first quiz. But I’m not sure if it will destroy the poll and we would leave the votes if I edit the poll or even the post.

2 Likes

No, you can’t sadly. I think you will get a warning after 5 minutes that you cannot add the poll any more. If you really want to change it, you can only delete it and add a new one (i.e. give it a different ID, I guess). But that will delete all votes, as you suspected.

1 Like