List of verb endings?

You did get carried away, there!

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Great, tx for the link and taking the time to answer.
I actually read this one already and similar pages on Google.

So I fully agree those are 3 different verbs.
Actually what I was looking for was not “verb endings”, as I wrote in my initial message I knew I was definitely abusing the label “verbs endings” :grimacing:

So let me explain what I’m trying to achieve.
Basically I’m here to learn the meaning oi the kanjis. I do have a few flashcards (paper-based) and for the kanji 見, they propose the 3 different verbs on the same card. Because even though they are not the same verbs, they are still based on the same kanji 見 . And their sense are semantically close enough. So learning the 3 verbs all-together is actually helping me to remember the kanji 見.

So based on this example, I was curious about the following :

• is there a 4th “ending” (whatever the exact label may be from a grammatical perspective) for the kanji 見, creating a 4th verb with a different (but probably semantically close) meaning ?
  • is there a list of “ending” added to a kanji to make a verb ?

OK, I trust you on this one. But same story as for 見 : in level 1 or 2 I actually learned 2 different verbs based on the kanji 上 :

• 上げる
  • 上がる
    Hence my question : I was wondering if there were other “endings” coming after 上.

Anyway it’s ok, I am building my own list every time I meet a new verb, so eventually I’ll get there :slight_smile:

And I found an easy way to do it for each kanji, just looking at Jisho.org
見 #kanji - Jisho.org

Tx again !

Interesting, so I’ve been on Jisho looking for this one 見す

I’ll skip learning this one as it is labeled as an archaism, and my level / interest is by far not to that degree yet (and probably will never be).

Tx again for sharing the information, it really helps !!!

It’s probably easier to type the kanji and then #verb to search for all the verbs including the kanji.

What you’re referring to is called okurigana, it’s the kana attached to kanji in vocabulary words. As far as I know, there’s no specific pattern for all of them, other than the verb endings.

(Though, if you only care about kanji meanings, and not the actual vocab words, something like RTK might be more effective…)

2 Likes

Fantastic, tx for the tip on Jisho :pray:
Indeed it’s much easier : 見 #verb - Jisho.org
After a quick scan, I just discovered 2 new verbs : 見つかる and 見つける
This will definitely help me :grinning:

Yes, I am also using RTK, currently I’m around #700 - actually I started with RTK and discovered WaniKani 2 months later. So I am doing both at the same time. I read some posts where it’s not recommended to do so, but so far I can manage.

Tx again !

If you just want to know all the readings that are possible for a particular kanji (which includes how they end, the okurigana), most kanji resources will include all of those.

Any time you see a dot and then hiragana after the dot, that’s the dividing line between where the kanji is and what comes after the kanji. Just keep in mind that some readings might be obscure and not worth learning as a beginner. Always cross-check them with another resource.

These are technically compound verbs composed of 見る plus 付かる or 付ける.

Though if you do want to play around with verb endings, 見せびらかす is a fun one, not that I’ve ever encountered it in the wild.

By all means, do whatever helps you, but I’d just like to point out that these ‘verb endings’ don’t exist for all verbs, so you can’t rely on them to work like suffixes in other languages like English or French. Also, I was about to say that these are compound verbs, but @Belthazar has already done it.

As far as 見 itself goes… it’s just an eye on top of a person. (See the legs?) Not all kanji are clearly related to the pictures they represent, but it’s good to make use of these images when they’re clearly visible.

Finally, this is just a personal theory at this point, but I’d say that Japanese seems to have a very loose system of prefixes that sometimes end in consonants with each prefix representing a certain general idea (e.g. I think hir- means ‘wide’ or ‘vast’), and these prefixes aren’t necessarily linked to a particular kanji, so it might be better to learn things on a case-by-case basis while linking them to meanings, since multiple kanji can be used for a single reading.

1 Like

I think this article might be interesting for you: Japanese Transitive and Intransitive Verbs (and How to Use Them)

It explains those transitive/intransitive verb pairs you’ve already come across (like 上がる and 上げる), which combinations of verbs can be relied on as patterns and, most importantly, which combinations might look like a pattern but in fact have many exceptions.

2 Likes

Fantastic, tx a lot Nicole :pray:
Trying to get an understanding of transitive/intransitive verbs was on my to do list, because indeed I am mixing them up in my reviews nearly systematically - probably 50% !

Got your point :+1:
Yep, I’ll see with time if my list has any added value or not. Worst-case I just lost some time but I guess it’s part of the learning process :grimacing: :grinning:
It seems indeed more exceptions that anything “systematic”.
Once I read the transitive/intransitive resource shared by NicoleRauch, it will probably give me some light as well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.