List of verb endings?

見る, 見せる, 見える make up a somewhat confusing set of verbs, since they sound like causative and passive forms of a godan verb but are actually three distinct ichidan verbs with slightly different meanings. It makes me wonder if maybe these words were originally derived from 見る and later became separate words, although since ichidan verbs are a closed set I’m not sure how likely that is.

5 Likes

From what I can tell 見せる was a form of 見す.

1 Like

Holy crap, I’m dumb.

I was always wondering what these Ichidan and Godan verbs were supposed to be, but too lazy to Google.

So it’s just another name for る and う verbs… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

And a much better name, too, since う verbs can end in る.

4 Likes

More like, る and う verbs are another name for 一段 and 五段. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

You’re not alone; a quote from my study log a while back…

4 Likes

Did your research cover the 二段 and 四段 groups that used to exist? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No, I was just relieved to know I already had the basics covered. Knowing that English used to have 7 or so conjugations groups (all those ‘irregular’ verbs used to be regular), I did have the notion in the back of my head that they could exist, but I’m nowhere near far enough along in my competency to be delving into those for the mo. Cheers for the heads up, though! :smiley:

Well, the short story is, all 五段 verbs used to be 四段 (the ~おう conjugation is comparatively new), while many 一段 verbs used to be 二段 (食べる, for example, used to have a 食ぶ form - the only 二段-like verb that still exists today is 得る, which can be read as both うる and える).

There’s never been a 三段 group.

Fun fact: modern standard Japanese has only one single ~ぬ verb: 死ぬ.

There’s also 往ぬ in the dictionary too, but that’s dialectical and/or archaic.

6 Likes

Aka the bane of my life because I never can remember it.

But now I just might.

4 Likes

Well, I still learned something new here, I wasn’t aware, that U-Verbs conjugate through the whole row, because I don’t know every from yet. It really makes sense then, to call them Godan.

1 Like

Far too few, it seems! I think I shall take this opportunity to make a new one:

わにかぬ
= to WaniKani / to WK / to crabigator

You know you’ve been WKing when

わにかにます・にました
わにかにません・にませんでした
わにかぬ
わにかんだ
わにかなない
わにかななかった
わにかにましょう
わにかのう
わにかね!
わにかなないで!
わにかんで
わにかんでいる・んでいない
わにかんでいた・んでいなかった
わにかなせる・なせない
わにかなれる・なれない
わにかなせられる・なせられない
わにかねば、わにかねれば・わにかなければ
わにかななきゃいけない・ななくちゃいけない・なないといけない

Sorry, got a bit carried away there :laughing:

10 Likes

わにかねばならぬ!

10 Likes

Saying it aloud, doesn’t it just roll off the tongue so nicely? :grin:

3 Likes

You did get carried away, there!

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Great, tx for the link and taking the time to answer.
I actually read this one already and similar pages on Google.

So I fully agree those are 3 different verbs.
Actually what I was looking for was not “verb endings”, as I wrote in my initial message I knew I was definitely abusing the label “verbs endings” :grimacing:

So let me explain what I’m trying to achieve.
Basically I’m here to learn the meaning oi the kanjis. I do have a few flashcards (paper-based) and for the kanji 見, they propose the 3 different verbs on the same card. Because even though they are not the same verbs, they are still based on the same kanji 見 . And their sense are semantically close enough. So learning the 3 verbs all-together is actually helping me to remember the kanji 見.

So based on this example, I was curious about the following :

• is there a 4th “ending” (whatever the exact label may be from a grammatical perspective) for the kanji 見, creating a 4th verb with a different (but probably semantically close) meaning ?
  • is there a list of “ending” added to a kanji to make a verb ?

OK, I trust you on this one. But same story as for 見 : in level 1 or 2 I actually learned 2 different verbs based on the kanji 上 :

• 上げる
  • 上がる
    Hence my question : I was wondering if there were other “endings” coming after 上.

Anyway it’s ok, I am building my own list every time I meet a new verb, so eventually I’ll get there :slight_smile:

And I found an easy way to do it for each kanji, just looking at Jisho.org
見 #kanji - Jisho.org

Tx again !

Interesting, so I’ve been on Jisho looking for this one 見す

I’ll skip learning this one as it is labeled as an archaism, and my level / interest is by far not to that degree yet (and probably will never be).

Tx again for sharing the information, it really helps !!!

It’s probably easier to type the kanji and then #verb to search for all the verbs including the kanji.

What you’re referring to is called okurigana, it’s the kana attached to kanji in vocabulary words. As far as I know, there’s no specific pattern for all of them, other than the verb endings.

(Though, if you only care about kanji meanings, and not the actual vocab words, something like RTK might be more effective…)

2 Likes

Fantastic, tx for the tip on Jisho :pray:
Indeed it’s much easier : 見 #verb - Jisho.org
After a quick scan, I just discovered 2 new verbs : 見つかる and 見つける
This will definitely help me :grinning:

Yes, I am also using RTK, currently I’m around #700 - actually I started with RTK and discovered WaniKani 2 months later. So I am doing both at the same time. I read some posts where it’s not recommended to do so, but so far I can manage.

Tx again !