Level One and Frustrated with Vocabulary

Very true. I can’t be too critical of WK for it overall since they’ve had to create 1000s more mnemonics than I have. I suppose even the “bad” ones help me to varying degrees too since they usually serve as the base for my new mnemonic.

You say “mead” like ミード when you’re speaking English?

1 Like

Almost. It’s more like ミードゥ. Pardon my American English though. Do you say Mead as “Me-da”?

It was mostly about the hard ド sound at the end, which makes it sound like… well… a Japanese accent.

I don’t say it like either, I think as with any English speaker, but I can see an argument for choosing ダ since it gives it a bit of a feeling of being like the English schwa, even though that’s not actually what it is and ダ doesn’t actually sound like schwa.

It’s kind of like how it would sound if you were saying it with exasperation. “meeeeduh”

1 Like

In American English “mead” should be pronounced mēd, which is to say, nothing comes after the d.

In any case, you generally can’t expect the WaniKani mnemonics to line up in terms of the English pronunciation of the English mnemonic keyword or in terms of the Japanese reading. They are just meant to be approximations to trigger a memory of the proper Japanese reading.

the hard ド sound
Yea, but ド is not a true hard ‘o’ sound.
I’m not saying that the mnemonic has no merit either (afterall, I was able to use it in my own way to remember it). 乱れる was just a more recent word that was in my head and admittedly, probably not the best example as the difference between だ and ど is kinda moot.

@seanblue - That wasn’t what I’m getting at. My point is that some are bad memory triggers to set up and cause confusion later on, especially since WK (natively) doesn’t have a “That was close. Check your answer to confirm the spelling” for the Japanese input.

See ya space cowboy. :nerd_face:

I couldn’t have replied better myself to the original comment. I do exactly what you do. Totally agree that personal mnemonics work better probably 80% of the time. Sometimes, though, WK’s mnemonics are just easy to remember, like “strong” 強い(つよい)for example, whereby WK said that to be strong you need to eat two (つ) yogurts (よ). That mnemonic actually makes sense and is easy to remember. The rest–Anki Deck for rote memorization. At the end of the day, with so many kanji and vocab, rote memorization (repetition ad infinitum) is the ol’ tried-and-true fallback. WK makes the learning fun and like a game, but you just have to study the hard stuff until it sticks.

1 Like

How do you do brute memorization? I’ve never been good at memorizing stuff when I try. It takes a TON of effort and I forget it very quickly. These mnemonics have been a godsend - maybe I should put the same amount of effort used in brute memorization into coming up with mnemonics…

Yeah, I’ll just go ahead with making my own. It really came as a surprise that their mnemonics fell off so FAR in quality and I’d be forced to make up my own. I figured theirs would all tie-in together and I’d be shooting myself in the foot by choosing to not use theirs (I figured stuff like the Jourm and Jo-Ann characters would be reused a lot).

Oh! They should give a learning/class on MAKING mnemonics as part of the curriculum.

the way i learn kanji that come up with hiragana is just memorize it all the time :sweat_smile:
im still use mnemonic for onyomi reading.
when the kunyomi show up, i rely on my memory. i cant handle my self if i use kunyomi with mnemonic. thats too tiring.
for me, i like to hear japanese podcast and read the japanese song lyric so i can test my kanji more effective , thats the way i can improve my memorize also.

TBH, it’s just repetition until you know it. In school in the late 80s, early 90s, our teachers would give us sheets of 100 multiplication equations to solve to help us memorize our times tables. And they did this over, and over, and over. And we had to write the answers over, and over… Eventually you’d wind up memorizing the answers by repetition and study (and, since it was a private school, fear of failure because you knew your teachers owed the parents a return on their investment and that your parents expected one from you and the teachers). I find that Anki is the best way to do this. It’s a simple flash card program that is infinitely customizable, but at its core is just… flash cards. There have been vocab I just can’t seem to memorize until I plug them into Anki and just repeat the answer over and over (you can modify the app to allow for typed entries). I got stuck big time on the meanings for 見当たる and 先回り。My brain seemed to be telling me “Nope, I just don’t want to memorize the meanings for these words and you can’t make me.” Then I plugged those two into Anki and forced my stubborn brain to memorize them by reviewing them (along with others) until I got sick of typing in the answers and could now answer them comatose. Hope this helps… hang in there!

1 Like

This is because you are just expected to learn hiragana because there are only 40-something of them. And you’ll see hiragana everywhere. I’d recommend spending some time specifically with hiragana and then coming back to WK. Picking up either Genki or Minna No Nihongo will have you familiar with all hiragana very quickly.

1 Like

You know, on the note of learning ひらがな and カタカナ、back in 2010 I used realkana.com to help me memorize the kana. I was in Japanese 101 in college and 田中先生 was interested in getting into learning Japanese, not piddling around with the kana. So she gave us exactly 1 week to memorize all of them before we had a test–and then would be expected to know them for the rest of the course. Seven days. gulp So I searched the internet for kana flashcard until I somehow found realkana.com. Absolutely excellent resource for learning kana. I think they have an app now. Anyhow, I did it and shared the link with many of the other students. I still think that site is the best out there for learning the kana.

1 Like

(you can modify the app to allow for typed entries)

Hello. Could you please tell me how to change the setting on Anki App for typed entries? I am using AnkiDroid on Android. Thanks.

I learned hiragana extremely fast with this video.

I love the mnemonics she uses. It’s very easy to memorize them using her technique :slight_smile: