Level 9 been gone a while, what should I do?

I have been gone a few years due to real life, but now wish to jump back in. Have the lifetime membership. Have not had Japanese practice in that time.

I have had a bit of IRL living in Japan a few times, but not enough to be good or anything, and reading is the most difficult.

I am at the absolute beginning of level 9 and have 576 burned items.

I am not sure whether to just continue or restart entirely. I figure I have forgot some burned items.

I don’t know what to do about this and wonder if anyone else has been in a similar situation. Whats the best course of action?

Here is what I did in a similar situation:

• I installed a reorder script and reordered the review by level…I do not recommend the native reorder by level of Wanikani because this reordering is not strictly enforced by WK algorithm.
  • I performed the reviews at a daily rate the is easy to manage.
  • When I hit a wall in my reviews in term of remembering the items I reset to the level if the faulty items.

I am very pleased with the result and never looked back.

5 Likes

Oh are we referring to violentmonkey(I know the main one is called something different I just use violent monkey with greasy fork) user scripts? What other scripts would be helpful?

I am planning on doing this with a lot of tv input with J subs(no english subs), which worked for my Malasian friend for learning English.

Yes this is it.

This depends of what you want to achieve. There are way too many script to use them all. I suggest you browse this list and see whether there is one that catches your fancy.

1 Like

I’m in the same place. Got busy at work and ended up taking 2 months off. I’ve been studying every day the last week and got my reviews down below 700. I use the flaming durtles app. I didn’t think about reorder by level. That may have been easier. My settings are to sort by srs stage. Finally cleared out the apprentice items.

1 Like

I reset to 0 from level 8 after about 6 months of not doing WK, didn’t regret it. If you don’t mind taking a few months extra it’s pretty chill, you can spend the surplus mental energy from just reviewing known items on other areas of study while you ease in to WK again.

Prouleau’s method seems good too:)

2 Likes

You could test yourself on the burned items on the main page, see how much stuck. And based on that decide if you want to reset.

2 Likes

I did the exact same thing – fell off the train at level 8 and just decided to completely restart. It only took me about four months to make my way back and I really think it was the right decision. Without regularly interacting with kanji it is extremely easy to forget them, plus you’ll also keep seeing those early kanji later on in new vocab so it’s better to make sure they’re strong in your memory.

At the end of the day though, it all depends on how you feel about the items and whether you just need a refresher or realistically have to relearn most of them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.