~Level 7 Leaderboard Group

It was nothing like I ever have seen before, of course though I was shocked but not surprised. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Brexit was tough to see as well.

Exactly my process. I also try to keep apprentice level under 150. If it gets higher, I’ll slow down… But never had to experience it as I’m still at lvl 8 only.

2 Likes

Haha yeah the forums are definitely a big positive, I was more just making fun of my own habits of procrastinating way too much on them lol!

2 Likes

Ha! Same here my friend! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like it that you all are so active in here :3

Though I should probably do some less procrastinating on here :'D

4 Likes

Not sure if this would help, but you reminded me of the Real Score script. The guy who made it said that he used to feel demotivated when he had to slow down/do reviews only because you don’t feel like youre progressing when you stop levelling up. The script basically calculates your ‘real score’ based on the SRS stage of all your items, so it will go up even if you only did your reviews and no lessons!

3 Likes

You should definitely try and slow it down to 15-16 days if WK is exhausting you or taking up a lot of energy (or if you feel that its right for you at this time). I can’t tell anyone what the correct pace is but I’ve had personal experience with going at different paces. I just had a very rough term at uni. Did levels 6 and 7 in 8 days but then levels 8-12 all between 13 and 30 days. Had mental health difficulties, illness, too much school work to balance etc for 3 months and ended up slowing down that much. It was rough to say the least. On my worst days (which were when I had fever from some viral), I lay in bed for like 3 days and just did whatever few 20,30,40 reviews I could half-ass and muster up with whatever accuracy I could get. Looking back, it was a very difficult past few months but I’m glad I did something even on arguably some of the worst days I’ve ever had. I did my last 2 levels in 9 days and now I’m trying to balance it out and slow things down once again to avoid burning out.

IMO it was better to slow down to a turtle’s pace (crabinator is very angry at this analogy) rather than burnout and stop WK completely for the second time. Just remember that even though itll be tough to see the progress at that moment, its an investment for your future-self which may pay dividends, not only when you do WK but with whatever it is that you need to balance it out with. 16 days for a level or two before upping your pace back to normal is a small sacrifice towards reaching Level 60 soon.

Hope this helps! Everyone above gave great points too. Maybe give @Ajivila’s suggestion a go as well? Good luck for your exams! We’re out here on this forum, grinding along with you. I start my term on Monday as well so hopefully things will go a bit more smoothly this term

6 Likes

Hope you’re safe out there @trombonekun91!

Review count isn’t the only thing dropping, knowwhatimsayin I’m so sorry
I, too, use the toilet time for reviews lol

2 Likes

Well done for keeping on going through all that @Meeks33! Definitely some people would have just dropped it but you didn’t - sounds like you made the right decisions to slow things down to get through it.

That sounds like a really good script - definitely going to install it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! It was rough but WK was pretty much the only consistent thing in my routine since summer. It was a rough year so very few things to hold on to. Glad I kept going

4 Likes

I slowed down, but not by choice, christmas and new year slowed me down a little, since i was mostly drunk or hungover. For that reason, lv10 will take almost 10 days instead of the usual 7-8. Since im still doing pretty well in the reviews (>95%) and KaniWani is not THAT hard yet (is pretty harder than it was 1 month ago, getting around 90% accuracy) ill not slow the pace down yet.
Once i start to make more mistakes, or life stuff happens, ill definetly slow down. But, since i expect ~LV45 by 2022, i can slow down to a 10-12 days pace w/o hurting my goals.

For now, im doing WK + KW 3x daily (finishing all lessons/reviews as they show).

I only start new lv vocab when im confident enough about the new kanjis/radicals. I found that really helped me. For that i do use reorder script.

PS: i can’t do WK on bathroom, I like to be more focused for WK (chair/bed), instead i use Torii in bathroom/breaks.

4 Likes

I agree, I don’t use the reorder script, but as soon as I finish the radicals I let them level up so I can focus on the previous level stuff in my reviews and my growing mountain of Master>Enlightened items. I feel like if I see less new material every few hours I can really prioritize the new radicals, so when I do move on, the next set of Kanji are easier to work through. At least that is how I perceive it haha.

1 Like

I’m going at (near) max speed, but I’m also at an earlier level than most here so far less experienced. I’m aiming to go max speed until level 18, but it should be somewhere in the vicinity of 90% review for me. I have 400-something guru items right now and haven’t had the opportunity to maintain 100 apprentice items at a time (I’ve hit it twice and then the number has fallen precipitously in the days following) but I’ve been wondering why 500 is the general guideline for guru items? I mean, I KNOW they’ll be coming back around as master and enlightened reviews, but it seems like I’m not doing huge batches of reviews and everything is rather spaced so I’d be expecting my total reviews to double and triple in the coming months but it won’t be like hundreds coming at once continuously… right? Isn’t it more an issue of spacing them along that 3-week guru timeline than it is about having a specific number of guru items? I must be missing some giant red flag…

2 Likes

Im doing as fast as i can, and im only getting around 50-120 reviews a day. Which is fine by me. Im not following the 100-150 apprentice / 500 guru max…

1 Like

I’ll typically just go through the cards and take note of the new grammar. If it’s something simple I’ll just go ahead and add it into Bunpro. Otherwise, I have a copy of A Basic Dictionary of Japanese and I’ll look it up in that. If I still have questions, I’ll check one of the reading links on Bunpro to get more explanation and examples.

I am also going through Minna no Nihongo (Very slowly at this point. A lot going on and haven’t had as much time lately!) So I’ll eventually hit all of these points again with explanations, but I find Adam’s way to just work most of the time. :slight_smile: I was slack with adding to Bunpro at first, and I was really suprised with how much N5 Bunpro content was covered when I actually went to look!

1 Like

I actually just bought that book, i think it arrives tomorrow.

I bought it because sometimes i want to advance in Bunpro but i cant study the grammar points anywhere. And i hate most of the Bunpros recommendations (or i dont have the books that it recommends)…

I find it enjoyable to use! Super helpful with particles with many usages (like から or に) as you can see each point laid out with examples for each different use.

1 Like

Since im mainly using JPZ and Misa Sensei YT for grammar, its hard to found a right order to add Grammar points in Bunpro, so there are days that i dont even add a new grammar point… With that book im hoping to add at least 1-2 each day.

1 Like

I can understand that. Every resource orders things a bit differently, and having that set structure really makes things easier. At least, for me it does. (I tend to stress more about how I’m going to do something just to wind up never actually doing it because I’m still working on figuring out HOW to do it. :sweat_smile: )

With the book though, you can just follow the Bunpro order and look them up, so you’ll definitely be able to start adding more points in. :slight_smile:

For your Misa/JPFZ points though, you could type them into the search bar or go to Grammar → All and search for them. I think I encountered a point or two in the early Genki Chapters that weren’t actually on Bunpro. In that case, it’s a bit more difficult. Regardless, ADOBJ is good to have, especially once you start reading and can just look up things on the fly!

1 Like

I did add the points i had already learned in Misa/JPZ, but quite a few i could not find on bunpro. Thats one of the reasons im still thinking about droping JPZ2 and going straight to Genki 2 (since i know 90% of N5 grammar)

I will see how it goes with Basic Dictionary of Japanese, maybe ill do just that and some youtube videos for now… Anything that gets me going forward in grammar will be fine i guess

1 Like