Level 60 post, some random advice and my process so far :)

Hello all. I don’t really post here in the forums, but I figured since I got to level 60 it would be a shame to not take use of this vastly wide-reaching, monumental platform (/s) to give a few tips that helped me along the way, not just with Wanikani, but with learning Japanese in general. Along with that, I’ll indulge for a second by talking about what lead me to learning Japanese, why I stuck with it, and where I am now. I’ll also quickly drop this chart in place of some legit stats, because honestly I just don’t really have any statistics trackers except for this one and I’m too lazy to go download some more (lol).

Review chart

Why I started

I don’t remember exactly how I started watching and reading linguistics related content, but I’m pretty sure I got into it because of Tom Scott’s language files . These videos are incredibly interesting, and for someone who had never given a single thought to all the weirdness and complex structures behind humans’ ability to produce language, some of these topics were honestly mind-blowing. Tom Scott is a pretty popular educational youtuber, and I imagine a lot of people like me first discovered the world on linguistics through him, without ever searching for it. From there I looked for more, and I found channels like Langfocus and Nativlang, which I also highly recommend. A hidden gem of sorts also came in the form of Simon Roper, who makes incredibly in depth and insightful videos about the history of language, and he also talks a lot about Old English.

Anyway, from this interest I started taking up linguistics more seriously going into university, and I also decided that I wanted to learn a language. The language I initially settled on was the constructed language Esperanto. Esperanto was such a fascinating idea to me that I felt compelled to learn it, and the idea that I could be part of an exclusive club of global speakers was weirdly exciting. This video by Langfocus is a good introduction to the language.

As I continued, however, I noticed that I actually was really invested in this process, and that I was spending more and more time on learning because I found it fun. At some point, I turned toward myself and asked, “Why don’t I take this opportunity to learn something more… useful?” That’s pretty much when I decided I wanted to drop Esperanto and learn Japanese. In terms of foreign, translated content that I consumed, like many other people around my age, Japanese really seemed to beat out every other contender. I’m not a huge watcher of anime, but I did have a decently sized manga collection, and I had read several books by Japanese authors, including electronic ‘visual novels’ such as Higurashi when they Cry and the House in Fata Morgana. The idea of being able to read some of these amazing works in their original form spurred me on, and the fact that Paul from Langfocus (Who I really look up to) also spoke the language convinced me that I would be able to learn it in time as well. At the end of his video talking about Japanese, Paul gave a quick word to potential learners. This message, though short and simple, was nevertheless inspiring to me, and I started the process of learning Japanese a little more than a year and a half ago.

Random advice

I’m still well within the process of learning, and am by no means an expert in learning languages yet. This is merely some (hopefully) helpful advice, based on my own personal experiences.

1. Everyone experiences those gut punches of trying to read or listen to something you think you’re capable of, whereupon you discover that it is actually far out of your league. Even though you posses the knowledge that you’ll be able to read or hear that material properly in time, it sometimes is difficult to understand that fact on an emotional level. Whenever I come across material like this, instead of trying to struggle through it and try to prove to myself that I can do it when I really can’t, I set a 6-12 month reminder on my phone. “Come back to this.” In fact, I’ve already hit a couple of those reminders, and I can honestly say there is no better feeling than being able to understand something that once plagued you. When a years worth of progress, though slow and hard to perceive while experiencing it, jumps out at you all at once, that is a tremendous confidence boost. So put down that novel you can’t read yet and focus on something else. You gain hardly anything from struggling for hours on material, maniacally googling and dictionary checking, only to make a single page’s worth of progress.

2. I learned to listen a lot before trying to speak. In my personal experience, listening leads to far more progress than speaking does, because listening helps with both your listening AND speaking. Essentially, the more you listen, the better you’ll be able to speak. I got to a point where I was comfortable listening to intermediate-learner oriented podcasts before finding a teacher on Italki. I was very surprised to see just how much I was capable out of the gate, with natural** speaking habits having formed seemingly out of nowhere. Also, being able to speak does you no good if you can’t understand your partner. Listen to a lot of podcasts and get comfortable with the language before engaging with it, it will boost your confidence and make you a LOT less scared when you actually start trying to have conversations.

3. This is a short but important one. Read while you study on WaniKani. Read a lot. I’m really surprised when I see that there are people here who speedrun level 60 without really reading much, as if WaniKani is all strictly preparatory material. Things will stick so much easier once you start seeing them in actual content. A good way to read fun stories if you’re on some of the earlier levels is Satori Reader. They have a website and an app, and you’re able to link your WaniKani account so that any kanji out of your level gets furigana to help you.

4. Lastly, here is a bunch of resources that have been particularly helpful to me, not including the most obvious ones which you can easily google or get through learners’ wikis and the like. First, like I just mentioned is Satori Reader. Great way to start reading in my opinion. Lots of explanations of common structures and actually useful translations that aim to help you understand the source material rather than being clean and sounding nice. The next thing I recommend is the wanikani phone app tsurukame. This 3rd party app will help you get reviews done even when you’re on the go or lazily lying in bed. I really like it. After that, I HIGHLY recommend the Eijiro corpus. There are lots of structures and patterns that won’t show up in a dictionary, but that you can easily find in this massive online corpus of english-japanese translations. It contains just about every Japanese AND English idiom known to man and has translations of them. Something to note however if that this site is meant for Japanese English learners, though it is still extremely useful the other way around. Their pro service is something like 35 bucks a year, very worth it in my opinion for access to even more translations. They also have a phone app.

So where am I at now? After a year and a half of daily study, I can read manga comfortably, I can read most light novels at a slow pace, I can listen to intermediate podcasts such as Nihongo con Teppei and Learn Japanese with Noriko, and I can have very basic, simple conversations with actual Japanese people. What I still can’t do: I can’t read adult-oriented news sites without checking the dictionary every 3 sentences, I can’t understand most shows or podcasts where adults are talking normally at a regular quick pace to each other, and I still run into kanji I don’t recognize relatively often. I’m excited for where I’ll be in another 1.5 years. WaniKani has helped me tremendously and I’ll keep using it for another month or two, but from then on I plan on going for a more natural approach, mainly because I’ll be at the point where that’s actually possible. I wish all of you the best and hope you stick with learning Japanese because it is easily one of the most rewarding hobbies I’ve taken up in my life. Thanks for reading :sunglasses:

(P.S. please don’t compare yourself or your progress to anyone else, regardless of if they’re doing better or worse than you. I only posted what little “stats” I did because it seems to be more or less tradition around here. Also sorry if this post is a bit of a rambly mess, I had no intended structure going into it and this is just what came out after 40ish minutes of frantic typing)

74 Likes

Congratulations

Reaching level 60 is not an easy task. It takes patience and determination. You clearly had both.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your thoughtful insights. I’m going to try to incorporate more Satori Reader in my daily regimen based on your advice. Good luck with your continued studies! Best, Jerry

2 Likes

Inspiring message, thanks for posting. When I see the success of others, like yourself, and how much fun they seem to be having along their journey, it inspires me to keep fighting on forward. I can’t wait to join the 60 club.

Best luck to you in your continued studies.

2 Likes

:confetti_ball: congratulations, you did it! :confetti_ball:

Thanks for sharing you journey and the different advice. I totally agree, reading along helps and it actually feels really rewarding encountering WK kanji in the wild, I think.

enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations! Love seeing the level 60 posts.

I couldn’t agree with you more, especially on the listening part. I’ve done a lot of listening and reading and it’s served my very well. Who woulda thunk that using a language would help you learn it? haha

Best of luck with your continued journey

3 Likes

Congratulations! What was the first manga that you were able to read without difficulty?

1 Like

Congratulations, Melon!
ps: Eijiro corpus is a paid service sigh.
wonder if it has free service or trial one…

1 Like

Hm. Honestly that’s tough to say… A lot of the manga I read now is part of a series that I picked up months and months ago when my proficiency was worse. In terms of everything I’ve read though, perhaps the one with the “easiest” vocabulary was Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san. What’s funny about that manga in particular is that I tried reading the English version before I started learning Japanese, but I found it really dumb and full of tropes that I didn’t like, so I stopped. But when I picked up 3 volumes for free on a promotion trial, I actually found that I enjoyed it much more when reading it in Japanese.

2 Likes

Ah. I think linked to the pro version by mistake because that’s the one I own. https://eow.alc.co.jp/ this is the free version, sorry about that. It’s still really good.

cake-congratulations-candles-8300988

Congratulations! This is really inspiring for someone who just started.
I’ve been listening to Nihongo Con Tenpei and on the Satori reader subscription too. Hope to reach this milestone myself one day!

3 Likes

Congratulations!!! This is ridiculously inspiring. Thank you for your suggestions and telling us your personally journey!

P.S. Thanks for the knowledge of Satori Reader… I had no idea it existed and now I feel like I actually have a place to start to learn to read… One of my big goals is to actually be able to read the Manga I own!

Thank you for your story, and once again Congratulations on this massive milestone!!

2 Likes

Seconded, thank you for this tip!

3 Likes

Congratulations mate, very inspiring post. I’m in a very similar situation as you, the way you learn language in school made me feel as if language learning was never a fun process. But as i picked up japanese of my own volition*, i was positively surprised how much i enjoyed the process of learning. You can feel the progress you’re making every single day as you give correct answers to kanji and vocabulary you struggled with a few days earlier. In love with japanese so far, the language is truly amazing.

• Quick question to native english speakers, should i use “of my own volition” or “out of my own volition” in this sentence?
1 Like

of my own volition is correct!

edit: forgot to add the note that I’m not a native speaker. The interesting constructions in this case are

• out of interest
  • out of necessity
  • of my own volition
1 Like

thanks for the link!
May I ask how would you use alc in real study situation?
It seems to be a dict for Jp English leaner as you said.
So, I really want to know more about its advantage than let’s say https://jisho.org/ or https://ejje.weblio.jp/
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Your post is written in a deeply encouraging and helpful way. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it. And a massive Bravo for all that you’ve achieved so far, it’s very inspiring. It really makes me feel like I want to stick with it! Good luck in your future adventures.

1 Like

Not a native but I have been living in the States for almost 30 years and I speak it better than my own mother language… “Of my own volition” is correct and it sounds better, too :sunglasses:

Congratulations :crabigator: :cake: :confetti_ball:

1 Like

It’s useful for two things. First, if you type a word in, you can see lots of example sentences of that word being used, and unlike other sites like reversocontext, all the translations are vetted and actually good. You get much more of these example sentences when you use the pro version of the app.

Second, it contains good translations for just about every common construction/idiom in both english AND japanese. Let’s say you run across the construction ~てどうする, which trips up a lot of beginners. A translation for this construction doesn’t exist in jisho or weblio, but it does exist in the corpus: てどうするの英訳|英辞郎 on the WEB

1 Like