Let's Play: Bravely Default II Demo

The Bravely Default II Demo is out on Nintendo Switch, and I figured this would be a good chance to do a play through and learn some Japanese. I will be updating the main post as I go along and reserving the first couple of replies. I’ve never tried this format here before so let’s see how it goes.

Note: The screenshots are at home on my Switch, so I’ll be uploading those later on. For now, I’ve been watching let’s plays to get the text so I’ll change the placeholders once I do that.

About the game

Bravely Default II was developed by Silicon Studio and published by Square Enix and Nintendo. It’s an old school JRPG with a unique battle mechanic and an interesting story. I’ll go over the battle stuff when we get there, but it’s got a great pedigree and should be a good game overall.

How the Let's Play is going to work

This is basically going to be shown via screenshots of the game as we go through. I’ll write some commentary for each and go over the translations.

Japanese Translation

I’ll be providing the original game text and then my own translation as far as I can manage. The English will be in spoiler tags as will the furigana. I was going to provide a summary of the original localization, but I think it just makes everything look a bit too messy. I can probably provide these later if anyone is really interested.

I’m going to do my best with the translation without using anything other than Jisho and maybe DeepL, so feel free to comment and correct anything you see that’s wrong or just off.

Spoiler Rules
It’s a new game and the demo story is an offshoot of the main game, so I don’t think we need to worry too much about spoilers.

Anyway, here goes.

5 Likes

The start screen has the following simple text:
新しく物語を始めます

Start a new story

Once you choose to begin a game, a splash screen shows up with a message from the developers:

ダウンロードいただき、ありがとうございます!

Thanks for downloading!

この先行体験版は、ブレイブリーデフォルト II の基本形を
短時間であそんでいただけるようにした ”特別バージョン” です

This pre-release version of Bravely Default II demo is a basic form,
It’s a “special version” that you can play in a short time.

ストーリーはオリジナルな内容で展開され

The story has original content.

バトルも、ジョブとアビリチィの組み合わせや

There are also battles that let you combine jobs and abilities

ブレイブ&デフォルトを活用していただくために
やや難易度高めにチューニングしてあります

In order to get the most use out of Brave and Default
The difficulty has been turned up

ぜひ、色々な攻略方法をお楽しみください

Please enjoy the various ways to play the game

The game begins with an overview of the story so far.

火、水、風、土ーー

Fire, Water, Air, Earth –

4つのクリスタルで世界の調和を見守っていた国 ”ミューサ”

The country that watches over the harmony of the world using 4 crystals, “Muse”

しかし、悪しき者たちの手により

But, by evil people’s works,

クリスタルは強奪、国は蹂躙され滅びの運命を辿った

The crystals were stolen, the fate of the country was in peril

。。。それから幾年

So after some years

各地で、クリスタルが原因と思われる異変が生じ始める

In each country, the crystals seemed to cause strange events to begin

1 Like

Vocab and Unusual Kanji
I’m only level 29, so I’m not sure how unusual some of these are, but they were ones that stood out to me.

体験版たいけんばん - demo version, and I believe adding 先行 to the front means pre-realease demo

難易度なんいど - The Kanji are all familiar, but when relating to games, this is difficulty level. And I’m sure most people who play video games should be familiar with 難易度チューニング.

蹂躙じゅうりん - Trampling down.

異変いへん - Strange event.

1 Like

It’s time to meet our protagonists

グロリアの王女

Princess Gloria

落ち延び、身を隠していたミューザの王女グローリアは

The Muse, Princess Gloria, was in hiding

クリスタルを取り戻すための旅を決意する

And she decided to make a journey to return the crystal

亡国ミューザの、最後の王女としてーー

The last princess of the dead country of Muse
(I’m beginning to think Muse is the name Musa and not “Muse”, or maybe the royal family name?)

過酷な旅の中で出会った3人の仲間

On her harsh journey, she is joined by 3 companions

セス

Seth

船乗りの青年 セス

A young sailor, Seth (I cheated and looked up his name)

師匠が残した1冊の魔道書を解明するために旅立った

He journeys to find a spellbook left behind by his master

エルヴィス

Elvis

学者 エルヴィス

Scholar, Elvis

エルヴィスに雇われ、共にアスタリスクを探す

Looking for Elvis??, we’ll look for an asterisk??
(Cheated again, “Elvis hired someone to help him look for stones called Asterisks”)
(Maybe it’s a placeholder in the demo?)

アデル

Adele

傭兵 アデル

Mercenary Adele

彼らと共に辿り着いたのは

They arrived together

”サヴァロン” と呼ばれる王都であった。。。

At a royal capital called Savaron?

Fantastic translation so far imo! :clap: I’ve never heard of this game; it sounds interesting (and of course very FF-esque)!

1 Like

And here we are in the city of Savalon

Regarding the controls in the upper right:

オート再生 here is for automatic playback. You can let the dialogue continue automatically without input if you just want to sit back and read the story. 再生 is interesting here because I know both Kanji and can figure out what they mean when used together in this context even though the literal translation is “automatically live again”.
スキップ is self explanatory if you’re used to JRPG dialog boxes.

Moving forward, I won’t spoiler the interface parts since they take a bit of explaining and the translations are fairly simple.

Our protagonists leave the ship and have a conversation before heading into town:

seth-sm
ここがサヴァロンか。。。

Here we are, Savalon

砂漠を越えるのは一苦労だったな

It will be hard to cross the desert

グローリア、大丈夫か。。。?

Gloria, are you ok?

gloria-sm
ご心配なく

Don’t worry

この程度の旅、苦労とは思ってありません

I don’t think about the difficulty of the journey

それよりーー

but/and?

この町にも何度か訪れた事はありましたが

I’ve visited this town before many times but

このように水が溢れる姿になっていようとは

I’ve never seen the water overflow like this

seth-sm
クリスタルの影響、だな?

The crystal’s influence maybe?

gloria-sm
はい、どうやらこの国に “水のクリスタル” が

Yes, there’s a water crystal in this country

持ち込まれたのは間違いないでしょう

It was brought here if i’m not mistaken

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.