:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Why not both? :durtle_stabby:

I will level up when I level up, so it ainā€™t a huge deal. Keeping it 0/0 is whatā€™s important for me atm

4 Likes

I am glad you joined this wonderful group Lewby san :slight_smile:

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

we have a @DenkiKaminari on the forum :wink:

4 Likes

My understanding is ā€œLevel-Up Inā€ looks at the ā€œTypical Level-upā€ field and settles at 0-0-0 once it crosses that time.

@rfindley san can probably answer that question better.

3 Likes

Alright, I have commited my soul to this durtle-ful scenic route! :durtle:

Together, we will be the durtle-est durtles to ever have durtled through wanikani!

8 Likes

/quietly chants
one of us, one of us :durtle_noice:

6 Likes

Oh that does make sense! :durtle_megane:
I have been longer on this level than the others :durtle_durverted_lvl2:

2 Likes

Iā€™m still going slow, though I have sped up a little bit, taking now around 17 days per level (10 lessons/day aprox).
That said, I canā€™t for the shake of me, reach the 0/0 thing. This time Iā€™ve tried to do the first batch of Kanji, then the radicals, alongside with the vocab but Iā€™m still too slow and a ton of new vocab is unlocking before I can finish the lessons.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been in a bit of a slump for the last 2 levels, because I was overwhelmed with vocab, but I finally managed to adjust my leveling times so that I should (hopefully) hit them on weekends or Friday-Saturday mornings.

Somehow level 12 doesnā€™t feel so bad. I was starting to get a little terrified, but itā€™s all good now :). I had to keep my Apprentice count a little above 100, however.

6 Likes

the 0/0 thing is really a reminder for people who are re-ordering their lessons and going fast that they shouldnā€™t forget their vocab. if youā€™re doing 10 levels a day the math works out that you probably never reach 0/0; but as youā€™re probably not re-ordering lessons to go fast itā€™s not an issue ^^

5 Likes

Havenā€™t seen 100% in a long time.

12 Likes

:hushed:
Ten LEVELS a day? Weā€™ve broken the laws of time with our combined zeal for the crabigatorā€¦

8 Likes

As Mrs_Diss said, The 0/0 quest is supposed to be a motivator/guardrail for folks who lost motivation or used Reorder script and now have hundreds or thousands of lessons.

As long you are making progress and moving forward at your own pace, you donā€™t have to worry about anything else :slight_smile: Traditions are here to help us, if they donā€™t fit us we make new ones :wink:

If you canā€™t do 0/0, then start a new thread for a 0/20 or a 0/50 or something that you can achieve :slight_smile: one step forward at a timeā€¦

3 Likes

As the other said, the important part is not leaving vocab behind.
If you always make sure to do previous levels lessons before leveling, then you are doing just fine!
When you level there will always be some lessons from that last level (The kanji you just Gurued unlocked new vocab)
If you do those vocabs before you level again then you have no ā€œreorder abuseā€ (you can still use re-order to get the kanji first, as long as those vocabs gets done)

If you actually wish to have the 0/0 here is my tips: (these tips does not work with speed running, but are good for durteling)

Use the re-order to do vocab first. The sooner after a kanji Guru you do the vocab lesson, the better. Help reinforce that kanji!

Only do lessons at zero reviews. If reviews are not zero you are not ready for new items.

That way, when you do the lessons you should hit zero when you do your last Kanji batch. Since reviews are zero, no surprize vocabs unlock. And since vocabs are already done the last batch should be kanji. Since these were still in lessons you shouldnā€™t have leveled up yet.

Radicals I like to do right away, but can also be done last. That way the zero zero will come mid level.

But, as mentioned, the most important part is to not have vocab -2 levels.

7 Likes

I know, I know, I was just trying different strategies to see how it would go if I did manage it. I have no problem doing the previous vocab. I actually use the re-order more to get to some vocab before doing all radicals and kanji than the other way round (sometimes Iā€™d combine some vocab from previous level with the first radicals or kanji from a level, but thatā€™s it)

2 Likes

Speaking of balancing items and re-ordering, I noticed my item ratio is a little skewed:
I have significantly more Master items and my Guru count is roughly the same as the Enlightened count. Is that how itā€™s supposed to look or am I just failing to push those items into Enlightened?

3 Likes

thatā€™s actually pretty good. assuming no errors (hah!) and constant rate of lessons, you would have about 6 times as many items in guru as in apprentice, and about 8 times as many in master as in apprentice (and then when you start burning, about 4 times as many in enlightened as in master) (items spend half a week in apprentice, 3 weeks in guru, 1 month in master, and 4 months in enlightened)

iā€™d interpret that youā€™ve either slowed down lessons in the last few weeks, or that youā€™ve been very good at moving items from guru to master (and going quite fast overall).

4 Likes

Umm, interesting, Iā€™ve got around the same number in guru, master and enlightened (all being around 250), which is around 5-6 times my apprentice (40-50). I sped up a little bit in the last month, so maybe thatā€™s a reason behind it, also Iā€™m like 4 months into wanikani.

1 Like

I think itā€™s a bit of both. I did intentionally slow down in the last 2-3 weeks, but other than that once I have an item in Guru, I do kind of remember it well. That being said, today I managed to accidentally drop an item to Apprentice which used to be in Master before ^^". Doubtful conveniences of doing reviews on the phone.

2 Likes

having similar numbers in guru and master makes sense, as by making errors items spend more time in lower levels than if one didnā€™t make errors. the number in enlightened only becomes comparable this way when you start burning items (which is approximately six months after starting WK)

1 Like

I guess so, I have decent accuracy usually but I always have some mistakes too, some very silly.

5 Likes