Leech Squashing

I remember this one because, ironically, I couldn’t remember it at uni - I was majoring in linguistics (言語学院 - げんごがくいん) when I started learning Japanese, and I was asked each and every week in conversation class 「何を勉強しますか。」 and it must have been 6 months before I could reply without stumbling :confused:. I’m doing better this time around with WK, thank goodness.

1 Like

刻む - きざむ
屈む - かがむ
盗む - ぬすむ
For good measure:
囲む - かこむ

If i think too quickly I even mess up 読む and 飲む

I’m hoping that complaining about this (again) will help it stick in my head. I’ve already mentioned it in this thread once and I’m still struggling. Ugh.

I just can’t freaking remember 予想.

I always want to put “hypothesis” or “assumption”.

Even on KW when “hypothesis, supposition, assumption, estimation” comes up, I put よそう every freaking time.

So it seems I need a better mnemonic for both 予想 and 想定 .

Maybe one of our experienced and helpful level 60’s can help me out? @MidoriNoSuika? @Leebo? @polv? @rfindley? Anyone else?
Disclaimer : Of course you don’t have to be level 60 to be helpful and experienced. I’m just running out of ideas here and although I appreciate the suggestions I was given last time, sadly, it’s just not working. I think I’m desperate (okay, that’s probably a bit of an exaggeration) at this point. I don’t have many leeches and the fact that this one keeps hanging on is starting to get old and frustrating. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Okay, so without having any knowledge about your system, what you normally associate よ そう and てい with, or what interest you have, this i my stab at it.

予想 - Expectation.

Maybe if you just learn to associate with the beginning of the word (exp) it will help?
Yosou kind of sounds like You See/You Saw, so let’s use that. Just focus on the beginning letters Y and S whenever you get to this particular vocab.

Mnemonic:
"You see (よそう) a very rare enemy while playing an RPG. This enemy is known to give insane amounts of EXP (experience points, but in this case to help you think of EXP and connecting it to expectation). You are so happy you saw this enemy, Now all your characters have so much EXP

Might work for you, might not :woman_shrugging: If you want to, the RPG you’re playing could be Ys

想定 was a struggle for me as well. I ended up just printing this image to my wall so I saw it every day, repeating “Hypothesis” aloud whenever I saw it. Eventually it stuck.

2 Likes

I might have to resort to this as well.

As I was just looking at all my WK items, I noticed that よそう isn’t actually listed as a leech so I think my main problem with it is just during KW reviews and not actual WK reviews. So I guess what I need is a way to remember the answer to “hypothesis, supposition, assumption, estimation” and not necessarily the answer to 予想 or 想定.

But the RPG mnemonic might help. I’ll try that. Thanks a lot for your time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

予想 ー 予約 + 想定
前もって予測すること

Anyway, I hope that if I improve my Japanese reading skills, it would help kill leeches. After all, I wrote a script to help me think harder about meaning confusion…

1 Like

A melon like me, experienced and useful?!
I’m flattered though, thank you. :heart:

I do wish I could help, but I don’t really have a specific way of remembering that one. D:

2 Likes

When I have to use a mnemonic, I prefer to put the reading first, then put the meaning as close afterward as possible, without other significant words in between. So, you get exactly what you’re looking for right up front.

Also, I find dialog easier for remembering specific things, versus conceptual mnemonics. Thus, the examples below.

予想 - “Yo, soldier… did you expect an easy jump?” (The soldier’s concept was all wrong!)

想定 - “So, take your hypothesis and shove it!” (A concept I’m determined to prove wrong: The doctor’s hypothesis that I’m willing to pay $1000 for an x-ray!)

3 Likes

That’s fantastic! Thank you! I’m going to use that method mixed with @vargsvans 's RPG mnemonic idea and I think I’ll never miss them again.

Thanks to everyone who helped. <3

Edit : It worked!

Right now for me my leeches are 下げる and 下がる and also 上げる and 上がる. I just remember that “to lower” has an “e” in it and so does 下る (well the sound”. “To fall” has an “a” in it and so does 下る. 下げる is a transitive verb and so is 上げる; it’s the same for 下がる and 上がる except that they’re intransitive verbs.

1 Like

I think my most annoying leech pair right now is 限る and 障る. I end up thinking to myself, “A good butcher… he knows no limits, right? Or is it that he has nothing that hinders him?” Argghh.

A good butcher knows no limits to their talent. However, to unlock those limits, you need to find the かぎ (kagi = key) to knowledge. :thinking:

That does sound good… I’ll add it as part of my notes. I just need to make sure I don’t mix it up, because my brain is good at taking mnemonics and applying them to other words where they don’t belong.

2 Likes

If you can remember that the butcher hinders himself getting up too early/quickly you’ll probably be fine, but I assume that’s what’s not sticking… :-/

I seriously just realized after about 7 levels that 以外 and 意外 are two different words.

This. Changes. Everything.

I kept on getting confused like “I swear last time the meaning was unexpected… but I guess it’s other than.” I guess I was going by sound, rather than actually really looking at the first kanji. Now I’m wondering what other two words I’m conflating in this way???

So, uh, yeah… this should make it much easy to squash those leeches!

1 Like

I just did the lesson for 障る today. The mnemonic I used is not very good, but oh well:

さわ is similar to シャワー

The fact that you don’t have water at home will hinder you from taking a “さわ”.

Ah, that’s a good one too. In fact, I think that just reminded me of the original mnemonic I had in my head for it - touching a saw (さわ) will hinder you in some way.

I should try to remember that, too. My brain hates the radicals paired with the mnemonic, for some reason.

1 Like

掲げる かかげる
捧げる ささげる
揚げる あげる

微か かすか
僅か わずか

翻る ひるがえる change the HEEL
覆る くつがえる change the SHOES

光栄 こうえい honor
栄光 えいこう glory

I can’t remember which is which, and it’s driving me insane seeing them over and over again in apprentice.
Any help please?

1 Like

How about tying to 公営 (こうえい)? “There is no glory in public management”.

1 Like