Learning Japanese in English, but you speak -------

The English word is transitivity. 下げる is transitive, 下がる is intransitive. Of course, translations are always going to lose something (or else add something not in the original), but in this particular case the English word is, as I understand it, perfect for that pair of words.

Yes, that’s exactly how it feels like! :upside_down_face:
I’m currently having throube with the One Loaf of Bread, Bread Loaf Counter and Two Loaves of Bread, because in each one of them the place were “Bread” and “Loaf/Loaves” is located vary, and in two cases it uses the “of” form and in the other one it uses this (Bread Loaf) form that i don’t know the name for lol.
So I know the reading and the meaning of these three, but they’ve been at apprentice way longer than needed because I can’t seem to communicate well with WK that i know the meaning :sweat_smile:

If we’re being honest, I cheat:
I type in my answer, but before hitting send, I check on the vocabulary if it’s correct.

If it’s correct, great.
If it’s wrong, I just type it out multiple times until I remember it, and then send the wrong answer, because the mnemonics don’t work too well if you have aphantasia :confused: (Can’t picture stuff visually).

So it’s literally just memorization for me.

1 Like

In situations like that, I add literally every synonym I can think of:
Taking “one loaf of bread” as the example, I’ll add “a loaf”, “one bread loaf”, “a loaf of bread”, “a bread loaf” etc, because I am always furious if I fail a review because of semantics like that, where I’ve totally understood and remembered the meaning, but didn’t write the exact combination of words that WK was expecting.
If I had a native language other than English, I would probably add synonyms from that language too!

(I’ve now looked at the word “loaf” too many times and it doesn’t look like a real word anymore :joy::joy: )

3 Likes

Wait…

The user synonyms make it so that you can neter an incorrect answer and it’ll be accepted?

It’s not shit differentiation. It’s quite important. You’re going to run into way more of these.

Having trouble with the distinction of 下がる and 下げる

tofugu transitivity

1 Like

Yep, exactly :slight_smile: you could also add user synonyms in your native language if you wanted.
I mean, of course you shouldn’t just add “a” for every word (even though you could), because then you wouldn’t learn anything.

2 Likes

If I could <3 you more than once for that reddit post, I totally would. Thanks this is going to help for the next ones

Nah, that’s just stupid.
Even the way I do it feels cheap-ish, but that’s the only way I can learn(When I know the meaning of something, I always check whether I remember the reading as well, and if not, I click the eye symbol to review…).

Don’t know why someone would even bother with doing the synonyms that way, because what would you brag about?
NOT knowing japanese?
Today I literally went “ding!” When I realized that shoujo is “little woman”.

1 Like