Koichi mnemonic

Being a foreigner, it’s really hard to remember “koichi” for kou, since I’ve never heard this name before.

I finally remembered, by saying “co-founder” instead. Kou-founder. Or even first cofounder co-ichi.

Thought this might be helpful for others… and I thought that typing up this comment would help me remember that koichi means co-founder #1 (ichi) and is pronounced kou

11 Likes

Howdy! It is much easier to remember if you have listened to any of the Tofugu podcasts, as Koichi is one of the main personalities on it. He’s pretty ADHD on the podcast, and personally I find it amusing. My favorite was the Japanese Christmas episode, in case you want to skip to the good stuff.

3 Likes

Koichi is actually a not-uncommon Japanese name, so if you are a fan of Japanese culture, you may find in real-life Koichi to tie it to!

(It’s also the name of one of the founders of WaniKani, who occasionally posts in the forums)

1 Like

Hence the OP’s suggested mnemonic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh duh :sweat_smile: I suppose it makes sense to assume there aren’t too many other Koichi co-founders in the public consciousness.

2 Likes

Well, originally WaniKani was a small beta program that only people who read Tofugu had discovered (due to it being advertised exclusively there, before it got mega popular and everybody recommended it), so it made sense to use inside jokes for mnemonics. I was a big fan of the Tofugu website, and the YouTube channel, so it didn’t occur to me to question the Koichi mnemonics, I just happily chuckled and moved on. I’m not saying this is a solution (making your own mnemonics is a great thing), but you could familiarize yourself with the Tofugu crew by listening to the podcast, or watching their older YouTube videos.

4 Likes

Would second this, the podcast is fun.

Would not second this, because you can never unsee them.

3 Likes

“You can never unsee them.” :fearful:
I haven’t seen them yet. Reading the other comment I thought, perhaps I will!
Now I’m wondering if I ought to!

They’re nothing scary. Just take a look and see what you think.

1 Like

You get used to it. Koichi is everywhere, whether on WaniKani or on Togugu. Articles and comments you read. Stuff like that. You get used to seeing him around and get used to attaching the idea of everything being attached to him and him doing all kinds of weird mnemonic things. :grin: He pretty much has a huge involvement with it since he is the owner.

4 Likes

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.