Knowing how Wanikani works is making everything way more stressful now

You are not XD
Its normal to stress and cry sometimes, i do it all the time

To make you feel better, i’m gonna let you know that when i first got my braces i legit cried into my pillow cos i was so stressed out about it XDDDD

And now thinking back i’m like wow, i was so silly back then . . .

6 Likes

That’s the first I’ve heard of someone crying after reading in these forums. いったい what are you reading??

3 Likes

I ever only reviewed once a day, and look where that got me

30 Likes

The perfect advice from the professional XD
I’m taking it thnx!

6 Likes

You guys this is totally random, but . . .
how awesome would it be if wanikani had like an app or website or whatever thats just for pen palling?
So like, it would be a place to find people you want to become pen pals with and the two of you would learn japanese together and push each other to move forward.

I think that’s a pretty cool idea :'D

5 Likes

Something like a forum, maybe? That’s a great idea!

11 Likes

Yeeee I guess like a forum . . .
But i was also thinking more physical pen palling
Like sending actual letters through the post!

I have pen pals across different countries and I can’t explain just how fun it is to make that letter and decorate it and send it, then waiting for the reply :smiley:

I also do this stationary swap thing with them where we send in the envelope a little mini pouch filled with kawaii stationary items like stickers, washi tape samples etc (btw i am a stationaroholic, I would die for stationary and I waste soooo much of my income on it, but hey! Stationary makes me happy so I’ll keep wasting money on it thnx XD)

8 Likes

I am a broke woman ;u;
But I am a happy broke woman
(thnx stationary)

8 Likes

I would be happy to be your pen pal!

I’ve never had one before, but it’d be fun to write as much as I can in Japanese! (I left my first Japanese comment on a Japanese youtube video the other day and I felt so proud and happy!

7 Likes

Level 60 isn’t even a real meaningful goal. It’s just the arbitrary point where Wani Kani stops teaching you new stuff. The whole level thing is just a tool to manipulate our brains into wanting to keep moving forward, but if you feel like its just creating stress then don’t worry about it. Just do your reviews, do your lessons, and get excited when you start recognizing Kanji in the wild. That’s all it really is in the end.

11 Likes

No no, it wasn’t the forums themselves that made me cry, it was the stress from feeling like my approach was bad and taking my failures way more personally than I had before that made me cry.
Although to be fair, reading this forum’s comment section also made me cry, but for other reasons. I cry easily. >///<

10 Likes

You got some great answers already, but I just wanted to stop by and say hi and welcome to the community! :blush:

The people around here are really nice and helpful, and not everyone is racing to level 60 even if it might look that way. :hugs: I hope you’re feeling better about your WK strategy!

10 Likes

Certainly not to English word order proficiency :smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk:

2 Likes

You should start a penpal thread! I’m sure at least a handful of people would be interested and able to participate :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh I know that “ever only” is not standard, but I prefer it that way. I think it makes more sense

4 Likes

“Ever only” doesn’t quite give me the weight that “only ever” does. It makes me feel like you did one review a day sometimes, but not necessarily every day.

2 Likes

I can’t say that did review every day

3 Likes

And here I am, a good 10 months since I learnt that word, going ‘さんにち?’

As for @seqka711, take it easy there, it’s not a race. I remember I went through a slump last year during my college competitive entrance exams when I was battling anxiety. I took 107 days to get through level 5. Now I’m at a somewhat consistent pace of about two weeks for each level, which is STILL slow by WK pro standards. But that’s absolutely alright, because I know more than I did yesterday, and I will know even more tomorrow! I might not reach level 60 by 2024, but there’s always 2025 :smiley:

10 Likes

I do this too, especially with kanji, and when I go through in lessons I say the reading aloud, which is an extra layer to help me remember. So I read through the lesson, often also reading out the story in a little rhythm, then I when it says “quiz time?” I ask for more time, click back through the lessons and say the reading aloud as soon as the kanji is shown with it’s meaning.

6 Likes

I relate to this so much on so many levels i swear :laughing:

6 Likes