Kitty Detectives! Week 9 Discussion 🐱

負けない = “to not lose”, but it’s not happening right now. In anime, I often will hear someone say 「負けない!」 to state they won’t lose. It’s not a current state. They’re going to be in a situation where they can win or lose, and they are stating they will not lose. But the thing they won’t lose is not taking place yet.

負けていらない = “in the state of cannot lose”. You’re actively in this state. In a sense, the competition has already started, because Hanae is in the process of getting Capone dressed to win.

5 Likes

Ah, of course! Thank you, definite brain blip moment there!

1 Like

I’m grateful for your blip - between my reading and Christopher’s explanation, my understanding of that bit of grammar has been strengthened this evening! :smiley:

1 Like

My notes:

Pages 94 - 95

Page 94

I need help with this bit, please, because I don’t know which verb this is:

毛をかった

The verb options I have found that make any sense with are shaved (from Google translate, don’t know what verb that is in Japanese, anyhoo that is not going to make Capone cuter), 買った (3rd sense - to stir, to provoke), and 勝った (to gain victory over). I’ve gone with the last one, and translated as ‘I tamed fur’.

Guidance appreciated

1 Like

For further reading and nuance:

3 Likes

A (regular) Google search for this turns up results with 「毛を刈った」, which we can take to be “to cut (hair)” or “to trim”. Just a little trim to even out the fur, you know? Can’t win a cutie contest with uneven fur.

5 Likes

Thank you!

(…and just now, for the first time, she notices the scissors in Hanae-san’s hand :woman_facepalming:)

1 Like

Happy New Year from Australia! :bamboo:

My notes:

pages 96 & 97

Page 96
I wasn’t sure about this phrase: こう言う日に限って (こういうひにかぎって)

I have translated it as on this day in particular, but was wondering if the 限って was actually refering to the day’s restricted trading hours??

4 Likes

I read it essentially as it’s busy only when Hanae needs to close up early.

Here, the focus is on こういう日 (such a day, which refers to a day when Hanae needs to close the shop), and the negative result is that it’s busy with customers.

6 Likes

Thank you! This was my first thought, but I am good at second-guessing myself and trying to make things more complicated! :crazy_face:

1 Like

It’s not a big issue until you’re fifth-guessing yourself.

By the way, I don’t actually see this alleged “crowd”, but I don’t think I’m reading it incorrectly. I’m beginning to suspect Hanae like @marcusp always comes up with. Hm…

2 Likes

That confused me while first starting to read too, but I think the illustration is just showing the situation after her busy day - the inspector rushes in just as she’s finally about to make it out.

Or maybe I’m just a Hanae apologist.

5 Likes

page 96

ところが、お店をしめていかなきゃならないのに、こういう日にかぎってお客さんがおおぜいくる。

The second part of that sentence was already discussed but I'm still was a bit confused about the first half.

お店をしめていかなきゃならないのに

So I just learned that いかなきゃ is a short form for saying “must go” (いかなければならない). Tae Kim explains that replacing なければ with なきゃ you can leave the ならない. But here ならない is still being used which is why I assume this form is not used for abbrevation here :rofl: (of course you can argue that indeed なきゃ is a tiny bit shorter than なければ but, well…) So is it maybe just casual to say いかなきゃならない instead of いかなければならない?

…Finally found it on bunpro as well (if you search なきゃ only なくちゃ comes up - without saying that なくちゃ and なきゃ are one grammar point on bunpro - and I first thought “that’s not it” and went to Tae Kim :roll_eyes:)… So I guess it is indeed casual if you use なきゃ+ならない (and it’s still called “short form”).

So going from formal to most casual and long form to short(est) form, maybe it is like this?
いかなければならない > いかなきゃならない > いかなきゃ

2 Likes

Yep, that’s correct.

The other abbreviation you brought up is いかなくては > いかなくちゃ

After that little bit of detective work, do you understand the sentence as a whole?

3 Likes

Last set of notes for this week:

Pages 98 & 99

I have a couple of questions this time:

Page 98

そこに そのミミッチーマウスが 現れると言う情報が あるのだそうな。

Since あるのだそう means there appears to be the と言う seems to my English-speaking brain to be a little redundant, unless it is being used here in it’s most literal sense of (someone) said…

Page 99

The handwritten comment in the picture: 悪い噂も / ある店 / だけど

I understand each of the three (as I have spaced above) components, but without a verb to be seen (ある aside), I can’t really make out the intended meaning (except for plugging it into G translate, which I rarely trust). Is this somewhat idiomatic??

And now for a bit of fun:

In the picture on p 98-9 are some shops, one of which is ピカピカ堂; since both ピカピカ and 堂 have several different interpretations in English, please share how you have translated the name of this shop.

My ‘official’ translation: Glitter Hall
My more fun translation: Shrine of Shine

8 Likes

Yes! :relaxed:

Maybe if I had a cat helping me out with my detective work, I would have understood it sooner. Need to get me a Capone!

1 Like

That’s how I read it. 「現れる」と言う modifies 情報, so it’s information that someone said Mouse would appear.

だけど is a conjunction of だ and けど, so I read it as coupling the aforespoken jewel store with “store with bad rumors”. (This reminds me of in the prior book where Mouse targeted bad guys to take from.)

I went with Glitter Hall as well.

Edit: ichi.moe also notes 堂 as meaning “company” when attached to a store’s name. So, Glitter Co. Ltd. Inc.?

Edit 2: For a second there, I thought this was the same store as from an earlier story by this author. But, nope, that one has 「きんきら堂」.

4 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t know that! Co seems more likely for a shop’s name, but as they are holding an event there (as far as I remember - don’t have the book right now), '“hall” seemed a slightly more likely contender?

Hello everyone,

As I had to start late again this week I was just able to finish it. Thanks to you all, I was able to understand most of it.

Though I couldn’t figure the translation in pg97

ミミッチーマウスの顔をしってるのはきみだけなんだから。

My take is something like this
“Because, there is no one else who saw the face of ミミッチーマウス other than you.”

I thought that he continues to explain the reason of the favor which he asked a sentence before. So am I somewhat right or missing something?

2 Likes

That’s how I read it too. It seems that it was established in the previous book that Hanae saw his face (I didn’t read the first book either). That’s why he needs her help specifically.

1 Like