Kawabata Reading group - currently reading 日向 starting p27

Yes, the first story. I was thinking two weeks per so this one would be June 1-14.

I’d be fine with it ^^

Poll time

Are you okay with moving this thread to the reading section?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

wait am I an idiot (…yes). I think we are already there (in the Japanese:reading section)

3 Likes

@oyotta you mean we will have two weeks to read or we will discuss it over the next two weeks? :thinking:

Read and discuss. So yes, on the 15th we will move on the the second story.

1 Like

Thanks, perfect!

I didn’t even notice! :laughing: well I guess that answers that :durtle_the_explorer:

You might want to put the full reading schedule in the first post so it’s really clear for everyone.

I am very interested as I have heard of him beforehand. I have been hesitated over buying this book for a while. When the reading will start ? will you prepared a reading pack of some sort ? thank you .

I edited the first post to be an intro and give info on the current story.
I will update this as we go.

We start the first story 6/1/18.

There is a crowd source vocab list:

1 Like

*6/1/18 ^^

fixed… sorry

大丈夫ですよ! Thanks for getting this started :grin:

Welcome all,

I guess I’ll start with the first question.

Does anyone know about 骨拾い?

Is this what the character in 1,000,000 yen women was doing when his father was executed (picking through the ashes with chopsticks to collect the bones)?

Is this a practice that is specific to a certain religion?

In Japanese funerals, after the body has been cremated, close relatives usually go to the crematorium and use these special, large chopsticks to take out the remaining bones and put them in an urn or vessel.

My Japanese professor back in college said that she did this when one of her relatives passed, and explained that each member of the family passes the bones from chopstick to chopstick and that’s why you’re not supposed to pass food this way.

If I remember correctly, you’re supposed to be careful to put the bones in feet first and then make sure this special neck(?) bone is on top so they’re right-side up.

I’m sure there’s more to it and someone else could explain in more detail, but that’s what 骨拾い refers to.

6 Likes

If anyone feels like reading in Japanese (or copying and pasting into google translate), I found this article about it.

I’m tempted to order on my kindle and join in. Can anyone give me an idea of the difficulty of the stories?

I used mecab and ran some numbers.

The first story has about 500 unique words, about 50% of which are covered by level 60. So that’s like 250 new words. It’ll probably be too difficult for ultra casual reading but if you have a dictionary it shouldn’t be too hard.

sorry this was a hella nerdy answer

3 Likes

On the plus side, the stories are SHORT. So you don’t have to maintain that level of dedication for a whole novel, if you just want to read a few of them.

I read the first two pages so far. The vocabulary is difficult but thanks to @MissMisc’s list and flo.flo, it’s not too tiresome. I don’t find the grammar too difficult, and I get kind of sucked into the atmosphere.

3 Likes