Kanji reading help

Guys! Help! How do you read this?

It was on a game.

1 Like

Wild shot in the dark… 両方とも? I’m pretty sure it’s something + とも anyway.

You managed to read something in these chicken scratches? I am amazed. I can see your と but this is as far as I can go.

Knowing the stroke order of も makes it fairly easy to decipher. It starts at the top and loops to the right, and then you do the 2 horizontal lines, so those frequently become kind of a connected z from the loop.

4 Likes

Now I see it. But it seems to me this is a very lazy way to draw a も.

Calligraphers would probably object to that characterization :slight_smile:

1 Like

No single idea

I know nothing about calligraphy. What you say suggests calligraphers are OK with not raising the brush between strokes. I don’t know but this is what I deduce.

What is that monstrosity on the left? Looks like 飛 but at the same time nothing like it.

All I can see in the left side is a flipped 辶 (the radical of 道)…

3 Likes

incredibly hot take, but …

if flipped horizontally you see the radical formely known as water slide. not that it makes the rest any easier to decipher, although - with my very limit experience in writing - to me at least that seems to flow way better.

The first part looked like a kanji containing 周 to me at first. 彫 came to mind but the three strokes on the right are not in the correct direction I believe… I also see とも at the end

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good match. I’m not sure I agree that the direction of the strokes is wrong. They should be upper right to lower left like that.

1 Like

That is correct.

Sōsho (草書) is the style of Shodō (書道) that can involve not removing the brush until the character is complete. But everyone has their own style, and the one on this page is certainly very… squiggly.

1 Like

My Japanese husband had trouble reading it.

He says maybe it says tattoo friends?

ほり and とも for friends
He’s not sure though.

2 Likes

Oh yeah you’re right! I looked at it in a strange way.

“Get a tattoo friend” has now been added to the bucket list :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

if it’s from the Yakuza games, the guy who draws the tattoos is named Horitomo

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.