Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits

Now that’s very strange… What browser and userscript manager do you use, and what other userscripts do you use?

I use Microsoft Edge

On further inspection, the kanji change to a different font when I mouse over them
If I leave my mouse on the kanji while I type the answers below, it sort of works like it’s supposed to

It’s only using one other font though

Oh, Edge? With what userscript manager?

Tamper monkey

I get the same thing on mouseover with Chrome + Tampermonkey, but I thought it was intentional and find it really useful!

If the font is just way too calligraphic for me - I mouseover to see it in a different font (usually a gothic one / normal WK one).

[Edit: every question has a different font though - I don’t actually have the same issue as FG2019]

There we go! Jitai version 1.3.2 is out! This update fixes compatibility with Microsoft Edge, which (surprise, surprise), doesn’t follow certain web standards properly. I guess this means people will lose their font lists again, but… I don’t really have the time to implement the separate font storage at the moment. That’ll have to wait a bit. Sorry, @seanblue, for doing this to you again! :sweat_smile:

@FG2019 If you update, everything should work fine!

Thanks for the heads up. I made a backup of my selected fonts the last time it happened, so no worries!

@obskyr
Happy to report that everything is running smoothly, thank you soo much! (^_^)

1 Like

This is brilliant! I wish I had this from the beginning, because it’s forcing me to think in terms of the structure of a kanji, rather than blunt recognition.

One thing I’ve noticed though, is that sometimes it gets inverted (Chrome on Mac), and it’ll show the default font first, and then change to the random font after I’ve answered. Then a few minutes later, it seems to right itself and all is good again.

Thanks for an awesome script!

1 Like

Before you answer it does

• Changed font by default
  • Original font on hover.

After you answer it does

• Original font by default
  • Changed font on hover

Is that not what you’re seeing?

Yes. Usually. Now I wonder… maybe my mouse cursor was just hanging over it by accident ? … it turns almost invisible at that point, so that might be it. I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks again!

I’ve seen a bug similar to what you describe in an old version of Jitai, so… it might also be that, coming back to haunt me. I fixed it ages ago, though, so I’d be surprised. If it happens again, let me know!

Thanks for enjoying Jitai! :laughing:

Thank you so much for making this - I installed this earlier today after having finished my reviews (and lessons are currently at 0 too). I just came back for a quick review and, having totally forgotten that I’d installed this script, was convinced for a solid 5 seconds that I’d accidentally clicked new lessons rather than review! This script really forces you to deeply process the kanji which can only be a good thing!

Edit: Here’s an article from a few years ago that confirms my last statement: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/health/19mind.html

Edit 2: Another article with an interview with one of the lead researchers: Hard-to-Read Fonts Promote Better Recall

3 Likes

Yo, that’s wonderful! Jitai is based on the reasonable notion that having a variety of unfamiliar and difficult fonts would be beneficial for learning, but of course I didn’t have any studies in support of that. Turns out they exist, though! It seems it can help not only reading skills, but aid in memorization too. That’s great to hear.

Thanks for looking around and linking it here!

5 Likes

There probably aren’t thaaat many fonts people are using, couldn’t we just pr / submit them to @obskyr to add to the
// Other Japanese fonts people use. // You might want to try some of these!?
section?

A few extra kb in the script won’t matter much.

If so, I use these which are really great.
YOzFontK
YOzFont-Pro-R

1 Like

Please, go ahead! The only reservation I have is I want to make sure there’s a good balance of different fonts (and not too many of one type), so people who install all the fonts on the GitHub page get a good experience. Beyond that, I’d be more than happy to add more fonts to the default collection.

I agree, if it’s just another standard gothic/mincho not much point.

Hi - I’m having a problem getting the fonts. The first bit of this post and the links to the help post for setting up Tampermonkey were great, then the detail dropped and I can’t fill in the gaps myself to actually get the fonts working.

I went to the list and followed all the links for the top 10ish fonts suggested - have zip files in my downloads box - but it’s only showing one font (the first one on the list).

I am not very computer savvy and would appreciate it if you could update the post/add a comment with the steps to take after following the link to the font suggestion page and downloading them. Otherwise I just have some font files sat there for no reason.

Thanks!

Now that you have your zip files, you need to install the fonts within them. To do that, you open the zip files (by simply double-clicking on them), then open the font files (once again, by double-clicking on them), and then click the “Install” button. Once you’ve done that, they should show up in Jitai!

4 Likes