Japanese tutors/classes tips and experiences

I’ve done some 1:1 “lessons” on italki, which are just conversation sessions. For those of you who do online Japanese tutors and classes, what have been your experiences with it? How do you get the most out of the lesson? While I agree even just the conversations are good motivators, I would like to be corrected and feel like I’m learning more. Thanks for your input!

1 Like

The tutors that I have studied with ask me how I want to study. They ask now and then if the current learning style suits my needs as well as what I’d like to be changed. I don’t have a fixed learning style or anything special in mind, so I mostly go along with their suggestions :sweat_smile:
They are also pretty different. One explains when it seems necessary while the other will ask if I understand or not. That tutor also likes to repeat explanations in order to drive the point home. My experience with both has been positive.

Since you already seem to know what you want, communicating that to your tutor is of utmost importance. Up until now, for vocabulary/ kanji, I have been using WaniKani so I prefer to know words/ kanji before being drilled (rather than trial and error). For grammar and reading, I discuss the procedure with them and they’d send a reminder or outline of the lesson beforehand as I also get homework from one tutor. Those have been my main goals until now.

Cheers

I’m going to have an italki lesson with a Japanese teacher later today. I’ve studied with a Korean teacher and I specifically told her that I wanted to prep for an exam. For Chinese we started from the very very beginner and love that she never wasted time and it was really fun. I am not sure what I want to do with my Japanese lesson later. I’m a beginner but I know a lot of grammar and it’s all over the place.

1 Like

I’ve got three italki teachers, and the classes are all different. If you have a particular book or resource you want to use, you can search that book title to find someone who already knows and uses it. That’s how I found a top-notch Tobira teacher, as there are not many on there that are already familiar with it. I think that having grammar/direct study classes and pure conversation classes is a good combination, if you’ve got the time and ¥¥¥.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.