Japanese the Spoken Language

I think those 3 ISBN numbers are for parts 1, 2, & 3 of the same version, and the page you posted matches what’s on Amazon.

Anyway, it’s part of the Durtle Madness book cipher, and we thought we were stuck with a wrong version of the book. Looks like the same page, though. Thanks!!

Yeah, the barcode on the back seems to confirm this, it’s *47.

Tell me if you need any other information about the book. The romanization is very special, described here: JSL romanization - Wikipedia and may also throw you for a ride.

2 Likes

I’m so happy to have found this thread! I just got the book for self-study and am working through the introduction right now. It’s difficult without a professor to ask questions (although is excellent anyways).

If it’s not too much to ask, could you give me some advice on something I’m really confused by?

There is a note on page 12 of the introduction that reads “Actually the rise and pitch symbolized by /‘/ is automatic, given the boundaries of the accent phrase. It always occurs on the second mora of the accent phrase, unless the accident itself falls on the first mora, in which case only the first tomorrow is high-pitched.”

However, at the top of page 11 it says of an accented sequence “the accent is said to occur on the last (or only) high pitched mora.”

These seem contradictory to me. I’m on my second to go through the introduction and this is one part I just can’t seem to make sense of. Do you have any advice that would make this easier for me to understand?

Thanks for your great contributions on this thread, it helped me decide to order the boom and I’m so glad I did.

Hi there. Best of luck with JSL. Unfortunately, I lent my JSL Part 1 to a friend some years ago and never got it back. Parts 2 and 3 do not have all of that intro stuff, so I can’t reference the page you are asking about. I would take a look if you want to post screen shots.

However, an integral part of the JSL system is listening to the audio and doing the drills. Eventually, I learned to predict the pitch based on the visual indicators, but those things aren’t available in the real world. My very serious advice is to use your ears.

Thanks, I’m definitely planning to take this book and it’s directions seriously. I’m just worried if I go on past the introduction without knowing everything in it that I’ll already be behind when I start lesson one. Perhaps it’s best just to get started on the drills?

Did you follow the advice of learning just to speak without any reading and writing? Since I started WaniKani before JSL I’d like to keep working on it (with more emphasis on JSL). The book seems pretty strict that there should be no reading and writing before learning to speak so I’m curious to know if that was your experience or if you did some combination of speaking/listening and reading/writing and how that worked for you.

Thanks for those.

Boy, I’d forgotten how much the JSL romaji irritates me…

What does footnote 14 say?

Footnote 14:

“Symbols for the rise are included here to simplify reading the transcription for the beginner student. It is possible to represent Japanese accent but using an accent mark on the last high syllable ( where this text has’) with no symbol to indicate the automatic rice – provided the boundaries of the accent phrase are identified”

Did you study at Washu?

I think you’re confusing the “rise in pitch” that happens on the second mora of the accent phrase (or first if only one mora) with the accented mora, which is the last one.

Thank you so much. This book is so dense I’ve been finding it easy to get bogged down at times due to not being able to discuss it with anyone.

I still don’t understand why the rise in pitch symbolized by /‘/ is “automatic given the boundaries of the accent phrase” (I remember that the rise on the second mora is automatic in unaccounted sequences) but the rest of that makes sense finally. Thanks again!

I think they’re saying “if you know the boundaries of the accent phrase, then you can infer where the /‘/ goes”, because it’s always on the second character of the accent phrase.

Thank you! It’s been very helpful to have people to reach out to while going through this textbook.

I would just like to say that I am going through “Beginning Japanese” 1 and 2 by the same author. Most of the language is familiar to me and it is mainly a review. It is however absolutely fantastic and I would love to continue on with Japanese the Spoken Language afterwards.

I don’t know if it was mentioned above but the audio/video for JSL is available here,

https://mediasite.osu.edu/Mediasite/Catalog/catalogs/fll-japanese

If you like drills, which I have discovered that i do, then these books are incredible.

Also, the scope of the course looks immense. If you watch one of the videos at the end of book three, the level of Japanese is quite high.

I’d like to get a hold of the audio as an offline resource (I got rid of the internet and only have an 8g plan on my phone so I have to be data conscious), so I’m thinking of getting the cd to rip the audio. Can anyone confirm whether or not the cd actually works? Amazon reviews show people having problems with it long ago. Yale still sells it on their website though as well, and I would hope they don’t sell a cd that doesn’t work. I’ll look for it cheaper elsewhere.

Also, for anyone that has the cd, the cd says it’s “updated audio”. Is it different from what’s online? The quality online is just ok, and the spoken language is really fast compared to other resources.

By the way…resources for this book (including some audio) are available from MIT’s opencourseware site. They use this book in their IV and V course.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.