Japanese pronouns for non-binary genders

I would advise you re-check the definition of harassment and take a look at your own words and behavior before accusing others of being the problem.

Edit: Also, while you’re at it, the definitions of “microaggression” and “hypocrisy“ should also be enlightening, but not unless one passes apprenticeship first.

2 Likes

Someone earlier in the thread already said that multiple genders is not yet understood in Japan, which was on topic. I also do not understand it. just FYI I support trans people and have bought someone transitioning medicine before.

I have not done any of what you accuse me of. And I find you to be one of the most intolerant people I have interacted with. What you are trying to do is get me out of here because I disagree with you. You disagreeing with me does not make my opinions less valid.

1 Like

You should look at your first comment then. Flat out saying there are only two genders is completely disregarding the entire LGBT+ community while not adding anything to the conversation of how to explain it in Japanese.
Also, the reply you got was nowhere as harsh as you are trying to make it.

5 Likes

His post was not harsh, but it was much harsher than mine. If this entire comment thread is hidden as off-topic, I guess we could get into a long discussion about this. If you are looking for how to use it in japanese use Jibun. (自分)

Actually, when you want to contrast, you use the according particle.
自分 as such is 100% neutral and is in no way implicit of a contrast.

僕 is used by women (or rather girls) when they want to sound cute, because it’s the standard pronoun used for/with/as small kids.

僕 is by no means “standard” for females.

1 Like

So I’d like to interject here and ask about third person terms. My sibling is non binary, but I couldn’t find any money binary terms. I found 兄 and 姉 for older brother and sister respectively, but how do I say like “this is my older sibling” without specifying a gender?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure kyoudai is the catch all term for sibling. It can be used to refer to a sibling, or more specifically a brother. Something a bit irrelevant I’d like to add is a unique pronoun from this Anime called Maze:The Megaburst Space. The main character is two people who share a body, one male one female, and they are referred to by others as either their shared name “maze”, or a combination of onee-sama and onii-sama… Oneenii-sama. Its an anime, so don’t take that example too much to heart. But I hope this let’s you know that the idea of creating genderqueer pronouns isn’t totally unheard of. Also, the topic of gender is a rapidly evolving one in Japan right now. It may seem right to adhere to the traditions and norms of its current generation. But, I think as long as there is that japanese value of respect present, it’s okay to be yourself. Maybe set an example for the loads of genderqueer japanese individuals who feel alone. Sure, you’ll sound weird to them. But, if presenting as you are is truly important to you, then I think such opinions are as irrelevant as my anime example stated prior. I’ll also recommend that you watch this anime called Wandering Son. It’s more so about the trans experience in Japan than the genderqueer one, but it is a very impactful anime. Another example I’ll share is for this newer soft tennis anime called Stars Allign, which actually features a realistically portrayed non-binary character. It may even be a first of its kind. Definitely check it out if you want a more human perspective on the whole enby situation in Japan, rather than the musings of any foreigner or anthropologist. Best of luck.

2 Likes

Pu, from Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, also calls Hazumu (who was originally a guy, but was turned into a girl) Oneenii-sama.

1 Like

i was going to mention Girl meets Girl, but you’ve beaten me to it :smiley:

i watched that just recently, and really enjoyed it. it can totally be read as a very happy transition story :slight_smile: i also liked how honest and brave the characters were when speaking about their feelings (though not always, of course), and how close they got to building a little polycule.

i have Wandering Son on my watchlist, and have watched the first episode. my own transition is long done, but i still get very emotional when watching things with/about trans characters, so i’ll need to be in the right headspace to watch it.

overall, i’m finding japanese pronouns amazingly versatile, and not nearly as strongly gendered as one tends to learn first. i’m really looking forward to playing with pronouns when i’m a bit better at japanese :smiley:

I’m happy to see other examples than just my own here. And I get it. I have ptsd, so watching certain portrayals of it in media can get me in a troubling mood. I’d definitely need a good head space to watch any of that. So, no worries :slight_smile:

1 Like

She’s not non-binary from what I understand, but maybe useful to see what personal pronouns people use who don’t quite adhere strictly to gender roles? (tldw: a mix of almost all of them, depending on situation, haha) 【歴代の一人称】ボーイッシュ女子の一人称ってちょっと困らん? - YouTube

I do still wonder about third person pronouns. So far I only learned 彼 and 彼女 formally, which seem to be clearly gendered. Those are also the only ones I noticed people like Teppei-sensei use, as in, somewhat natural but not too familial speech. And definitely used frequently too. Although it is also well possible they used other words and I just didn’t notice it.
The aforementioned あいつ or やつ I heard in anime, but even there in slightly derogatory contexts, which is also what jisho notes. So I’m presuming I shouldn’t use those for a stranger in a formal/neutral setting?
あの人 or あの方 sound more neutral/polite, but do they actually get used in the same way 彼 and 彼女 or they/she/he are?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.