Japanese Movie Club interest check

First of all, I think this is an amazing thread! I once thought about doing something similar, but I didn’t know how to realize it.
Regarding movies, there are a couple of Ozu films in high quality and good eng subs (that you can turn on and off) on Youtube! I’ve seen most of them, but I wouldn’t mind watching them again. As far as I’m aware Youtube doesn’t have a syncing option, but it still might be fun to just start the movie at the sam time. With the help of the time stamp tool (2020-08-18T10:00:00Z), everybody would know when to start.

It looks like such a thing exists

People still might need to use VPNs but I haven’t heard of YouTube fussing and blocking them.

2 Likes

I was using https://www.vpngate.net/ which is free, until I splashed out on paid vpn (https://surfshark.com/ is doing an offer for $1.55 a month atm)

I do wanna give this a try, but I don’t have any steaming service. So there’s that. There are of course other ways to obtain a movie, like owning/borrowing, so if it’s not required to stream to join the party and talk movies, I would.

Of course you’d still be able to participate in discussions! I’d love to have people joining in even if they can’t make the watch parties.

2 Likes

It would be great to “formalize” it in some way, to get stragglers like I might be, to join the conversation at the appointed time when you are also done with movie! I do hope discussions could be done here in the forum for the mos part… ^>^

I plan to do it similar to how book clubs do stuff? A thread for each movie and the watch parties are optional like the read alouds are. I’ve just woken up so the plan is fuzzy

1 Like

And this will be my “first” “book” club so I guess there is that. But I do love the idea of it all. *Regardless of how watched the movie in Japanese, is there anything you want to discuss??*Language? Story? Characters Regardless if you used subtitles or not,we can share info and better understand the movie! I do think this is a great idea. It’s just a matter or logistics. But, don’t make pans for my sake, just make the majority decision alright and live with it! :wink: It’s a VERY good starting point for movie watching on WK, (and let the others worry about artsy movies etc, I’m sure they’ll a way if whey at it! :+1:)

1 Like

So question to you peeps who said they’d participate in the club!

Do you use a VPN?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

If you don’t, could you let me know what country you’re in if you’re comfortable with it? (Or if your vpn only gives you access to certain countries, which ones those are)

I’m from the USA and don’t currently have a vpn, but have been thinking about it! I’d probably get one for this club.

I want to participate, but I only have Hulu and no VPN… does Netflix Party require everyone in the party to have a Netflix account?

Yeah it does, but Hulu apparently also has watch parties! But I hope even if people can’t make a watch party they’ll still participate in discussion :heart:

1 Like

haven’t been around nearly as much as last year over the forum, but I totally love the idea.

watching Japanese films is a large part of what I’ve been doing this year :sweat_smile: … so sure … I’ll participate.
I think a couple films over Japanese Netflix caught my attention when I was using a VPN… しゃぼん玉 one of those. Not sure how’s the catalogue now, but checking unogs might help to know what’s available where. :wink:

I’ve been watching mostly 70-80s films lately… yakuza, karate, even some sexploitation ones that have turned to be amazingly good :astonished: … If for some weird reason this turns a viable alternative I’ll be happy to recommend a few gems. :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: ok, after checking what’s new for the year in Japanese Netflix, sure, more than a few interesting additions. Some I’ve watched already and I’m happy to see that they made it to this year’s catalogue, Asako I & II (2019) , And Your Bird Can Sing (2018) and Junpei, Think Again (2018) are fresh movies coming from young directors that are in the spotlight right now. Also A Bride for Rip Van Winkle (2016), one that is in my list for when I can spare those 3-4 hours it runs.

Anyway, I’m in! … but please don’t go with the cheesy school love film :pray:

3 Likes

I have Netflix and I’m in the USA (Pacific time). I would be interested, depending on what movies are selected!

2 Likes

This sounds like an awesome idea! As some have pointed out, might be a bit difficult logistically, but i’d love it if it went ahead.

I’m based in the UK and I don’t have a VPN (I use a free one, but that has quite a low data limit and doesn’t fool netflix). I have been wanting to get a proper payed version for a while, but honestly I can’t really afford anything at the moment, so that’s been put on hold.
Might look into some of the options people have mentioned here though.

Forgot to mention, I do have netflix and Amazon prime (and disney plus access, but I’m pretty sure that’s irrelavant)

1 Like

Hulu isn’t available outside of the US even with a VPN.

What about using Discord? A host could broadcast their stream to the participants. I was in an anime fan club that did that. If it’s a small group of people it should be as legal as inviting your friends to watch a movie on your tv.

1 Like

I admit I’ve done it too even though It’s illegal at least where I’m at and definitely against discord’s tos. I’d rather not say “officially” that’s how we’re doing things

2 Likes

I forgot about good legal alternatives offered by the Japanese Information and Culture Center. They just released a fall movie schedule. For international folks, it’s up to you to do whatever you like with this info.

Fall Film Series : New from Japan

Launching September 18 at 7:00 PM EDT

Program scheduled to end on October 16

Join us for a fall series of free virtual screenings featuring some of the latest film releases from Japan! Registration is open now.

This survey of recent films from Japan has something for everyone: new films from veteran masters Kiyoshi Kurosawa and the late Nobuhiko Obayashi , exciting new work from directors just breaking out; subjects as varied as the cenotes of Mexico and the maverick photographer Daido Moriyama.

All films will be free to stream online for US attendees.

This series is co-presented by the Freer and Sackler Galleries, the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Asian Art; and the Japan Information & Culture Center (JICC), Embassy of Japan.

New from Japan launches online on Friday, September 18 with three highly acclaimed feature films: To the Ends of the Earth , Labyrinth of Cinema, and My Sweet Grappa Remedies.

For the full list of films and descriptions, please visit our website or the official event registration page below!

Ticket pre-order for each film required

4 Likes

Okay so I finally went and posted the Japanese Movie Club thread. I hope to see some of you guys there!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.