Japanese Advent Calendar 2022 🎄 🇯🇵

Wait, now really want to know what song this was, because I don’t think I had a song by them on my calendar… (I think Day 21 was an 嵐 song). Do you remember the title?

1 Like

Woops! So I may have accidentally listened to a cover then! :sweat_smile:

The link in the calendar wasn’t available in my country so I just searched the title. And this was the one that came up!

I am guessing that 歌ってみた means cover?

1 Like

Oh, wow, that actually sounds pretty close to the original! Well done! I think in this case 歌ってみた = 歌う+てみる as in, we tried to sing / attempted to sing.

The original group is these guys:

A very well-known boy-band in Japan with LOTS of songs (something like 256 songs total).

Not sure if you have Netflix or if it’s available in your country, but there’s actually a documentary on Netflix about their history as a group and their retirement in 2020:

With so many songs, they can be kind of a mixed bag, but worth checking out.

5 Likes

256 songs wow! It makes more sense now that I found so many covers of the same song because they’re so popular.

Thanks for the recommendation! :slight_smile: I’ll look them up later and see if the docu is available on my Netflix!

2 Likes

Today I read 雪渡り by 宮沢賢治 along with this 朗読. I didn’t really care for it. Some kids stories are good as adults, this one just didn’t really connect.

8 Likes

Dec 22

Kanji in Ascending Stroke Order
Strokes:22

Kun: かご、 こ.める、 こも.る、 こ.む
On: ロウ、 ル

Words of the day: たけかご (bamboo basket), とうろう (garden lantern, hanging lantern), せい (bamboo steamer), かた旅籠はたご (one-night stay (with just breakfast or dinner)), ろうきゅう (basketball)

籠 means things like basket, devote oneself, seclude oneself, cage, coop, implied. It’s a Jōyō kanji taught in junior high. It’s not on Wanikani.

Here’s the stroke order:

And variations:

7 Likes

:spiral_calendar: :christmas_tree: Japanese Advent Calendar 2022 – Day 22 :christmas_tree: :spiral_calendar:

December 22nd

Today’s Kanji:

Kun’yomi: たた.む, たたみ, かさ.なる, かさ.ねる

On’yomi: ジョウ, チョウ

Meaning: tatami, counter for tatami mats; fold; shut up; do away with

:fountain_pen: Kanji writing

Kanji writing practice

Despite the start of today’s writing practice feeling relatively comfortable due to the box-like structure of this Kanji, my patience ran out by the 5th row causing the rest to become sloppy. :sweat_smile:

On top of that there is one mistake which I didn’t notice until the end: one of these (things) is not like the other. :musical_note:

8 Likes

First row, second one. Saw it instantly even before reading your post XD

4 Likes

December 22

Winter song
Kanji writing
Origami

Got home late from a dinner and was able to listen and write but the origami is only 10% done :smiling_face_with_tear: will get back to it over the weekend when less busy!

Kanji writing

Origami

2 out of 20 pieces done! My lord this is a crazy one but excited to see the finished product. Sad i don’t have 10 of the same paper so it’s gonna be like patchwork. Will edit this post later once I’m done!

Edit:
Finally did it!! One day after christmas! :sweat_smile:

<<day 21 day 23/24>>

7 Likes

Very quick read in the morning today! クリスマスの贈物 by 竹久夢二 with this 朗読. If anyone wants to give an Aozora story a try and they want a Christmas-y mood, this is a good one for that. A very classic type of holiday story and it’s only a few pages. Not too much for old grammar and because it’s aimed at children the kanji is lighter.

6 Likes
day 22

アルスラーン戦記 漫画 – obvs easier to approach than above cos there’s pictures. Much the same as the anime, the sample covered episode one. lots of furigana different to the kanji readings, especially for titles but also for some names, as renderings of older non-japanese words and, ofc, polite speech here there and everywhere.

why are there only two days left, when did that happen

6 Likes

December 22

Kanji writing
Origami
Song
Mystery book reading

Kanji writing

Extra thin marker for this one, 0.35mm.

Origami

What a time-(and paper-)consuming origami this was! :scream: Serves me right for complaining about yesterday’s being too quick, I guess. Still, the result was definitely worth it. It’s hypnotic, and so good to play with! It tended to come apart though, so I put some glue here and there, even though the video didn’t mention it.

Here it is, in all its various states:

8 Likes

:u7981: Advent of Ascending Kanji - Day 22 :secret:

Twenty-Two stroke kanji: 龕

Alcove for an image (usually Buddha)
Kun: れい
On: カン; ガン

Practice

There isn’t many common 22 stroke kanji, so onto the obscure stuff!

8 Likes

Day 22

< day 21 day 23 >

7 Likes

Oh my gosh! What a beautiful creation!! Congratulations! :partying_face:

I know you said you didn’t check the difficulty level/time required for these, but I was thinking you must have done the ordering for those two (Day 21 and 22) on purpose as a little prank… :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Day 22

しの字のおしえ

An interesting read for a cold day.

7 Likes

Thank you. :smiling_face:
It really came out well, but it took sooooooooooooo long! Hope yours comes out even better when finished!
I really didn’t plan this, apart from pushing this one towards the end of the calendar because it was immediately obvious it would be very involved. But yes, if you take the average time of day 21 and 22, maybe it evens out a little? :joy:

5 Likes

Dec 23

Kanji in Ascending Stroke Order
Strokes:23

Kun: かんが.みる、 かがみ
On: カン

Words of the day: いんかん (past example serving as a warning​), ひっせきかんてい (handwriting analysis), たいかん (encyclopedia), えいかんしょうかい (film festival)

What on earth is a "chicken sexer"?

鑑 means things like specimen, model, take warning from, learn from. It’s a Jōyō kanji taught in junior high, JLPT level N1, and It’s not on Wanikani.level 31.

Here’s the stroke order:

And variations:

7 Likes

It’s a professional job where people look at genitals of tiny chicks and can instantly sort them into male and female. The male chicks get killed of.

They are more accurate and faster then any automation we can currently develop. But If you ask them how they do it they can’t explain their system. The brain is a crazy pattern recognition machine.

If you can stomache the contents it’s a super interesting topic to look into!

7 Likes

Oh. Makes sense. Telling the sex of a newborn bird can’t be easy. Thanks for the info. The reason it needs to be done is not something I’d like to look into any further, though. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes