January 28 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(10) - added “the most” to alternative meanings.

(9) - added みの as kun’yomi.

(33) - labeled なっ as on’yomi.

Vocabulary

迫る (27) - added “to compel” to allow list.

照らす (31) - added “to be illuminated” to block list.

名物 (9) - added “local speciality to allow list.

(47) - added “back of one’s hand” to block list.

十万 (3) - added “ten thousand” and “10 thousand” to block list.

一億円 (13) - added “one million yen” and “1 million yen” to block list.

就職 (27) - added “finding employee” to block list.

始めに (11) - added “first of all” to allow list.

遍歴 (57) - added context sentence.

(52) - added “sacrifice” as alternative meaning.

飽食 (56) - made “satiation” primary meaning, added “indulgence” as alternative meaning, and moved “engorgement” to allow list.

弔う (57) - added とぶらう to the reading warning list.

毎朝 (8) - added “each morning” to allow list.

響く (25) - added “to resonate” to allow list and added two context sentences.

35 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

4 Likes

Thank you, Jenny! :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks, Jenny, have a good weekend.

1 Like

Thanks Jenny! For the changes of vocab/kanji known to me, these are very intuitive.

1 Like

Thank you!

Can I recommend “sign” for (たん)'s block list? Since it’s a real word, it seems likely to cause confusion if someone typos it for sigh one too many times. @Mods

3 Likes

Hey DIO-Berry! Thanks for the suggestion. I let the team know and we will take a look at this! :+1:

3 Likes

@Mods Would you consider expanding the visible list for 相手(あいて)? My understanding is that it’s commonly used in games to refer to one’s opponent. I think given the interest of the community in gaming, that it would good to include that meaning.

Hey, @DIO-Berry! I’ll see what we can do.

2 Likes

Thank you!

It’s also commonly used in pro wrestling to also refer to someone’s opponent, haha! This definitely tripped me up because I was expecting the meaning I learned from WK, which is the exact opposite meaning :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, I think it’s that English is overly antagonistic. Why does your opponent have to be your enemy? They’re a friendly game partner, right? :smiley:

4 Likes

I actually really like the fact that in pro wrestling, a word that can also be used for “partner” is used for the opponent. Because in actual reality, wrestlers are always working together closely with their opponent in order to keep each other safe and convey the illusion of the fight. But unfortunately for me, I first encountered the word 相手 used in a tag team match, so I thought the wrestler was referring to her tag team partner, not the person she was fighting :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I get the feeling that 相手 means “partner”, but in the sense of doing something together so you can have a conversation 相手, a match/fight 相手, etc.

I for instance encountered it in Epic7 when one of the heroes was referring to her opponent in a duel.

That’s kind of why I left the original meaning in WaniKani without adding synonyms :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh, I really like that, “partner” in the sense of doing something together so you can have a conversation. That’s really good. I think that speaks to the spirit of it in wrestling for sure.

I’ve also encountered 対戦相手(たいせんあい), which is a little less ambiguous, haha!

2 Likes

The concept of 相手 in my head is someone you’re standing face-to-face with. In a conversation it’s a partner, but in a fight or a game, it’s the opponent/opposing team.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t that be 対戦相手(たいせんあいて)?

1 Like

Oh, sorry, yes! Typo :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve now moved “opponent” to the visible meanings and changed the meaning explanation to reflect this.

5 Likes

Thank you! Very much appreciated!

3 Likes