I've been holding myself back. When should I start speeding up?

Just in case you never read this: Fluency in Japanese Comes from Quantity, Not Quality

3 Likes

Click on the kanji when it appears and you’ll get a stroke order

Ah, that showed “no results found” for me,
but i installed the KanjiDic to Yomichan and now i get the stroke order too :slight_smile:
thanks!

1 Like

I just gave that a read and I feel like my life is turned upside down, omg.

After realizing that I just spent 3 hours trying to fully understand the content of the 10 bunpro lessons I had today, this article says a lot.

While maybe I never had the confidence to do such a strategy when first learning (because i had no confidence that I would even be able to even understand the content), I believe that strategy is the best course of action I could be taking right now. I think I’m going to employ it ASAP.

I actually employed the same strategy when learning Latin in high school. Teacher didn’t give any hard tests - just said “here’s the Aneid. I want you to translate the entire book. Doesn’t have to be good, just at least define the words as you see them”. And so for months I would just be skimming the book with the least of hope that I would ever understand the thing, translating every word as they popped up. I felt like I was writing down crap on the paper. But by the end of the semester when the book was finally done, I felt as if I could give a sophisticated translation of any sentence as they appeared. That’s because all of the skimming I did allowed me to pick up on the easy stuff and everything just one bit harder. Eventually it all just came together.

Thank you so much for showing me this. :heart:

4 Likes

love that story about the Aeneid! Unfortunately, i forgot a lot about latin, used to be one of my best subjects. I know i could get back into it, but right now i’m doing Japanese. anyways.

I also think that the quantity approach is more effective, the more i think about it ^^

Actually, recently i’ve found that i was beginning to spend too much time on single items/reviews again.
I was taking a lot of time to try to recall an item, or to try to memorize it again when i got it wrong.

But i found that simply doing the review quickly (while still paying attention to what i got wrong), i was able to memorize similar items with the same number of reviews. It just starts popping into your mind, often without thinking about the mnemonics too much. (though they do often help, especially initially)
(and often mnemonics are all you remember when an item comes back from a few weeks ago)

It’s not so easy when you’re struggling to remember an item to force yourself to enter a wrong answer in the review after 5 seconds or so, because you may be able to remember it after half a minute, but i think it’s actually the better decision. Because taking half a minute isn’t good enough anyways, and you’ll spend less time and have better recall just reviewing it a few more times.

2 Likes

Thanks for the sharing the Latin story!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.