It Finally Sticks! My First Impressions

This is my “issue” with WaniKani (and I wrote that in quotes because I don’t think it’s an issue with WK). I’ve avoided coming up with mnemonics of my own because I thought, “What if my mnemonic has no bearing on the actual kanji using the radical?” But that’s really not an issue. Mnemonics for remembering radicals, pronunciations, and meanings of kanji are simply aides to help remember initially. In the long run, you learn the meaning and pronunciation without the need for the mnemonic. Lately I’m teetering back and forth on whether to pull out a notebook and start working out mnemonics of my own for pronunciations to start using.

While you have determination, be sure to use to push you to build up a daily study habit. Like, “at least 20 reviews first thing every morning” or “at leave five lessons every day unless my apprentice count is over 100”. That way if (when) your determination (and motivation) waver, you don’t risk falling into “I’ll skip today and watch up tomorrow.” “Maybe I’ll skip just one more day.” “I didn’t get to it yesterday or the day before, but I’m too busy for it today.” “Wait, how do I have 2,000 reviews pending???”

Although WaniKani isn’t going to help with being able to communicate (outside of teaching vocabulary to help teach and reinforce learning kanji), be sure to check out the book clubs. If you’ve finished Genki I and Genki II, but haven’t started reading native material, now might not be a bad time to give it a try. You may need to increase your vocabulary (depending on where you are currently) before you can read comfortably (without having to look up every five out of four words).

Welcome, and good luck!

1 Like