Is Wanikani stuck, or am I?

I’m at level 9 with apprentice kanji at 89% for several days … I normally complete levels in 11 or 12 days, but it’s 18 and counting for this one. Apparently I won’t move forward until I nail at least one more kanji (4 of 37 are pink) but Wanikani won’t ask me about them! I know the answer! I want to progress!

Do I just have to be patient? Can I install a third party app that gently nudges these kanji forward? (Heavy, temporary, return, and need, i.e. jyuu, ka, hen, and you). Or is Wanikani stuck somehow?

I’m averaging 88%, so it’s not that I’m just getting them wrong time and time again. It ain’t asking me about them, I swear!

Leveling up is determined by getting 90% of the current level’s kanji to guru status. So it doesn’t take a lot of wrong answers to prolong things. There may be only 5 or so items that could push you over the edge, and if you waited a while to do those lessons or got them wrong they could push back your level up time a bit.

You can check which current level items are still in apprentice, and then check their individual item pages to see what SRS stage they’re at and when they are due to appear next.

You can’t adjust the SRS timeline for any items directly though.

2 Likes

By the way, the new dashboard can tell you which item are holding you back.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s absolutely letting me know. It’s these Kanji: 要 仮重返 … but if it doesn’t ask me about them again, I’ll never be able to prove I know the answers!

On the new dashboard, if you “hover” the mouse over those characters, a popup tip should tell you how much you have to wait before the next time they are shown (time to next review).

2 Likes

The kanji of the first levels are quite fundamental:

• low stroke count,
  • basic notions ( tree, up, eye, fire, etc),
  • easy to figure out (because they are figurative, ie. ‘pictograms’)
  • fundamental because they are the building bricks (‘radicals’) of more complex kanji that you learn from level 10. The complex kanji (‘phono-semantic compounds’) are the vast majority of japanese kanji.

The first levels must be used to figure out a robust memorization process which WORKS for YOU. Each people may need some different technics (mnemonics, associative grouping, visual pattern, oral pattern, whatever ).

If you can not figure out how to excel in the low levels, just dont try to hide it under the carpet because you will also crash during the upper levels.

1 Like

Thank you. I tried it, and it tells me I can expect a review in 10, 11, 14, and 15 hours. I was afraid I’d never see them again! Presumably when I wake up tomorrow they’ll be ready in 2, 3, 6, and 7 hours :wink: Thanks so much!

3 Likes

You may have misunderstood me (or have replied to the wrong post). I don’t want to skip a thing. I was worried that some slight bug in the system were stopping Wanikani from presenting the Kanji I needed to review. I’m happy to go through all the normal steps, so long as they’re working. And I can’t argue with the results! From knowing no Japanese at all, to being able to read level 0 books for children :wink: in just four months.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed that Wani sometimes counts hours differently. I once got stuck needing a single kanji out of five to get to the next level, and all five stayed stuck not coming up in reviews (at all, I was clearing them everyday) for four or five days. Sometimes the system has bugs. When I checked on them the ‘coming up in 2 days’ remained the count for those four to five days. It was very aggravating.

If you’ve ever seen an item not return in the proper time, it would be a good idea to email WaniKani with the details, or they wouldn’t be aware of it.

Personally never seen an item come up incorrectly.

3 Likes

So far so good … the nearest one has been creeping down from 10 to 9 to 8 hours … so fingers crossed. So glad the new dashboard shows this–very very helpful!

2 Likes

Some people on these forums are so impatient that it really amazes me :o
If you would nudge the reviews to come earlier then you would ruin the whole point of the SRS. The idea is that the items come to reviews roughly when your brain is soon about to forget them. Learning is most efficient when you review things when you are about to forget them, not when you still remember them very well.

1 Like

I’m afraid you’ve misunderstood me. I was worried the programming was broken–I felt that these particular Kanji weren’t being offered for review. I’m not trying to nudge things to the front early, I’m merely trying to make sure everything’s working as intended. As a metaphor, I’m wondering if the subway’s broken or late–if it’s broken, I’ll walk to work. If it’s late, I’ll wait a little bit. I’m not complaining of the lateness, I just want to know the true state of affairs.

4 Likes

Hurrah! Now on level 10. I’ll never doubt you again, Wanikani. (And again, so grateful for the new dashboard, so if I get paranoid I can double-check).

2 Likes

Okay, sorry, I was too quick to judge. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you ever see a stopped train, please don’t try to nudge it :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.